Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

HistoricCoinage

Coin Dealer
  • Posts

    1,771
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

Everything posted by HistoricCoinage

  1. Fascinating stuff! I, too, am also intrigued and Stuart has raised some interesting questions. As usual, superb presentation.
  2. A quick bit of research rules out HMS Association as this was in 1707 whereas the date on your coin is 1740. The Dutch East Indiaman Hollandia shipwreck of 1743 is very likely as many pillar dollars were recovered from the Isles in 1971.
  3. Pillar Dollar is the correct term for these, rather than a pillow or a piller. Yours seems to have a wonderful sentimental link, you must be pleased you rediscovered it.
  4. Happy birthday, Paulus!
  5. I've bought a few as part of collections or when I've seen them cheaply. I'd much prefer a hammered piedfort, though.
  6. Glad to see you back, Mongo!
  7. I think I'll have to sell all my Suffragette ones, too!
  8. As an archaeologist myself I disagree with your interpretation of Evans restoring the site. When I first visited the site I was shocked as he has merely reconstructed the site with many of the styles based upon unsubstantial evidence and using new material. I don't think he should have left it as a pile of rubble but, unless properly recorded an imaginative reconstruction should not take place. But, back to coins, that is a phenomenally good repair!
  9. Henry VI groat of London mint, leaf-pellet issue. Leaf on neck, fleur on breast with pellets by hair and an extra pellet in two reverse quarters.
  10. I should start slabbing stuff and selling in America! :o http://www.ebay.com/itm/1279-1307-A-D-England-Silver-Penny-Fine-Grade-Edward-I-S-1386-Hammered-Coin-/180993867537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a24133f11
  11. I've got a nice token of Guildford, a town close to my heart, and know that Thomas Tompson and Thomas Wilmot tokens are fairly common. However, I haven't seen any with this design.
  12. No. But he's probably got cramp!
  13. Same. I bought an unslabbed coin that they misidentified in my favour.
  14. I broke two vertebrates in my neck, my left clavicle and nearly severed my spinal cord. Good thing the NHS only picked up on the clavicle...
  15. I got a 10 year old bottle in duty free coming back from Copenhagen. It was on special offer, too!
  16. You can distract Peter with some fat cigars and me with a bottle of vintage Talisker. It'll take more than one bottle if we're talking about early pennies. As for favourite monarch, I've got a soft spot for Edward the Confessor. A very interesting reign and a somewhat 'human' king. Not to mention that I'm enamoured with his coinage...
  17. That would be James I of England and Bust 6 of Scotland? Probably referring to James I's sixth bust on his English issues. A large, detailed bust - just what I look for.
  18. It's true. Those that do their homework don't tend to spend vast sums of money on eBay.
  19. Glad to see I'm not the only one that does this. In my younger days I bought some pre-Medieval pendants from them thinking they seemed fairly genuine but my friends at the British Museum soon identified them as early 20th century Indian folk jewellery... There is one other eBayer that I apply your law to, this one.
  20. I imagine it would have been possible as lions had been kept at the Tower of London from the 13th century onwards. The fact that the barbican was renamed as the Lion Tower also suggests the presence of lions. With the mint at this time being the Tower mint I wouldn't be all that surprised.
  21. He was good to me too. I didn't get one. The worrying thing is, I don't know how they got my address...
  22. Yep. I saw this. More convincing than others but still fake.
  23. I've just spent over an hour photographing some Lizzies. Check your emails later tonight.
×
×
  • Create New...