Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

HistoricCoinage

Coin Dealer
  • Posts

    1,771
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

Everything posted by HistoricCoinage

  1. Try a third party host such as www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com
  2. I spoke to Mick Aston recently about this and he was saddened. Whilst he left the show for other reasons he felt that Time Team was a crucial means of communicating archaeology to the public! With the latest hype over Richard III and Richard I in the media I'm sure there'll be another show soon.
  3. Well ... maybe. But personally I'd have thought (that in the UK/Europe at least) a coin will find it's value dependant on what it is and the condition. I'd be surprised if many (any?) members here would pay any more just because a coin is slabbed. Amen. I've often considered slabbing some high grade but fairly common hammered coins for the US market but I cannot see a slab in the UK adding a significant percentage to the value or sale price.
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst a little small compared to London or York it has a great, friendly atmosphere. Whilst I shan't be at the next one I do plan on attending in April.
  5. Spelling mistakes do appear from time to time.
  6. Easy mistake to make when there's no initial cross or i.m.
  7. Henry VI Annulet issue halfpenny of Calais, by the look of it. But the reverse appears to read VIL LA CALI IS which is not a usual spelling. You can compare with this one.
  8. The portrait looks very reminiscent of Richard II's local dies of York.
  9. Stuart and I were talking about this the other day, nice dress but a horrible cleaning job. I'd pass.
  10. That 'we' refers to London Coins, I believe.
  11. But then, hypothetically, what would you do with any finds unearthed?
  12. No question about that, but at least he might be a point of contact if you needed any immediate help with WWII detecting.
  13. You might want to have a look through Dan's videos and also find him on Facebook as he's an Englishman detecting in Germany. He has lots of experience with detecting WWII-era sites and could probably answer a few of your questions. I do not think that detecting the place should be completely frowned upon by others provided that respect is shown, given the context. People will always find this a troubling area of history as, for some, it is still in living memory. However, in terms of landowner's permission, without it you are breaking the law. Trespass is trespass. If I were you I'd find land elsewhere, above board and not damage the reputation of detectorists. Just my tuppence worth. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  14. Kris, now that you come to mention it the two graffiti pieces look the same, albeit rotated 90 degrees. If PM then that would make sense, being Philp and Mary.
  15. Just rub off one of the Is.
  16. Kris, you'd see much more than £50 for that in my opinion. As for the graffiti, I'm struggling to decipher the letters. A lot of religious graffiti is present on coins of this era and so these initials might be indicative of this.
  17. I would highly encourage anyone who can to help Dave out with this book. I've seen some of his work on the Elizabeth I and Charles I already and would love to see the finished article.
  18. If you have access to North take a look at #2050. Listed as a penny struck in gold, silver, copper or tin. Same legend and date described as "may be a pattern groat or medalet". Perhaps Crowther's 1887 'A Guide to English Pattern Coins' might be able to shed some more light upon it.
  19. I will have access to my library tomorrow, I'll take a gander and post any results here.
  20. It is a silver pattern sixpence, mentioned in both Peck and North. Akin to the pledge penny. I don't have any of the literature with me as I'm currently travelling but I hope this helps somewhat.
  21. I have been drooling over this other story, too. Nice coins and an honest workman.
  22. Yep. CIVI TAS EBO RACI. But the quatrefoil in the centre of the cross is often an indication, too.
  23. Indeed. CIVI TAS DVR EME - minted less than a mile from where I'm typing this.
×
×
  • Create New...