Rob Posted May 19 Posted May 19 Plenty of silver types, of which I am looking for a specific one. Without trying to state the obvious, it has cast copy 'written' all over it in the form of casting pits. Even if it was genuine, desirable it ain't. 1 Quote
Michael-Roo Posted May 19 Posted May 19 5 hours ago, Rob said: Plenty of silver types, of which I am looking for a specific one. Without trying to state the obvious, it has cast copy 'written' all over it in the form of casting pits. Even if it was genuine, desirable it ain't. I see someone has bought it. Quote
Rob Posted June 12 Posted June 12 9 hours ago, Coinery said: Good, problem-free, example…😳 https://ebay.io/m/lSqVOm I'm afraid I will have to agree with the vendor here. It is problem free - because the coin is too flat to see them. 3 Quote
wlewisiii Posted June 12 Posted June 12 Heh. I think if I were in the market for an ... inexpensive ... 1696 William III crown, I'd spend about £40 more... https://www.ebay.com/itm/267680267467?_skw=william+III+crown&itmmeta=01KTXMYXP9ZX8YEWMM0R42PBG9&hash=item3e52fcbccb:g:-BgAAeSw-7BqFFkB&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA0GfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xAC2siVMxwuEmIkSb09NzHjbAJylzcku4DTGlSMlkrvowGK8wAOFrKxMBOleKQopG6Ahv7Uly1Rp72Syf%2BIdobKYcmhmWvHcdzP8f2lOUkxaa9pUcirOphDQYAt361LlEBzgeuRhmrZZQd%2BFzxLXRG7Pk%2BU0p7LwPV%2BJmklVMb1r4POn1XnuEM0LHTOHi0vRcx3OgewKJuCxy%2BwZ98j6zY4dYScrcjJjRv47Cd8YoYR5wB8Sfb0jfUBtQ%2B7wOKcD8A%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6jb-7TXZw Quote
Coinery Posted June 13 Posted June 13 On 5/18/2026 at 9:20 AM, jelida said: My thought’s exactly! There seems to be an influx of fake Lizzie halfpennies at the moment, I wonder about this one too with the key over woolpack facing the wrong way and a very uneven border. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287335422050 Jerry https://ebay.io/m/iWzR6k 😳 Quote
jelida Posted June 13 Posted June 13 9 hours ago, Coinery said: https://ebay.io/m/iWzR6k 😳 Yup, that’s another one. Jerry 1 Quote
wlewisiii Posted June 16 Posted June 16 So one of my other areas is French coins. I love their big silver coins. From 1974 to 1980 (killed by the Hunt Bro's attempt at cornering the market) they had a 41 mm & 30 gram .900 50 Francs coin. I still need a 1979 for that series and was looking on ebay. Now melt for them today is $60 USD and I see one at $72. Ok, reasonable. But bad feedback. Look at his other listings and lots of obvious fakes - an 1812 Napoleon 5 Francs for $65 (!) and even more humorously, a Kingdom of Hawaii 1883 (46,538 remain of 499,000 minted) in seemingly UNC condition. If real, an easy $1600 coin. $65 as well. Yeah, I think I'll get my 50 Franc coin somewhere else... The original I looked at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/800122943117 Clicking on the seller's other items is when the "fun" begins. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted June 17 Posted June 17 I see the replicas are re-appearing. This one purports to be a proof: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/206353463647?itmmeta=01KVAT58VF6ZRR0WDV2XM92C2E&hash=item300b9ff95f:g:u3EAAeSwkcBqMm2A&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAAwGfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xDqKzVvcjzhpKWp0V99B8G8QpHw2n7Lx%2BwMDY0sBLDshtsY09foJNFJkQ2F4hgcBp5AYrMW7vo0ghUHfYd7fuPbD%2Bk8PcONFzXtYKy6kLqfhzMB4rPI3yPgEzHJx4je7BqCjuYBeonpYqWSugzalgJloB1ah9SKPxvQGfJxOxR9el6FtTeHofq8pRtrGMGLiMNoUvwYYN1fccJsxd1VuLvFI2D%2FhIlsUoq2M2vK69fjlQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4aOldraZw 2 Quote
Martinminerva Posted June 17 Posted June 17 And this seller is someone I have bought from in the past and have never had any qualms about. I guess he has been hoodwinked himself - wonder what he paid for it, and from whom...? Quote
copper123 Posted June 17 Posted June 17 On 3/26/2026 at 10:32 AM, Chris Perkins said: Can also clearly see the 'WRL' on the reverse. Westair Reproductions Ltd, I think. They make replicas for museum gift shops etc and they always have WRL stamped on them. would be handy for sellers if they didn't bother 1 Quote
Coinery Posted June 17 Posted June 17 On 5/19/2026 at 10:13 AM, Rob said: Plenty of silver types, of which I am looking for a specific one. Without trying to state the obvious, it has cast copy 'written' all over it in the form of casting pits. Even if it was genuine, desirable it ain't. Did you see the silver one in the Stroud sale? Quote
Coinery Posted June 17 Posted June 17 (edited) Hmmmm! 😵💫 https://ebay.io/m/qhFQNH https://ebay.io/m/yVcSXe Edited June 17 by Coinery 1 Quote
Paddy Posted June 18 Posted June 18 12 hours ago, secret santa said: I see the replicas are re-appearing. This one purports to be a proof: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/206353463647?itmmeta=01KVAT58VF6ZRR0WDV2XM92C2E&hash=item300b9ff95f:g:u3EAAeSwkcBqMm2A&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAAwGfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xDqKzVvcjzhpKWp0V99B8G8QpHw2n7Lx%2BwMDY0sBLDshtsY09foJNFJkQ2F4hgcBp5AYrMW7vo0ghUHfYd7fuPbD%2Bk8PcONFzXtYKy6kLqfhzMB4rPI3yPgEzHJx4je7BqCjuYBeonpYqWSugzalgJloB1ah9SKPxvQGfJxOxR9el6FtTeHofq8pRtrGMGLiMNoUvwYYN1fccJsxd1VuLvFI2D%2FhIlsUoq2M2vK69fjlQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4aOldraZw Just for the hell of it I messaged the seller yesterday evening to point out it was a replica (being polite!) and I see this morning that it has been taken down. 2 Quote
copper123 Posted June 18 Posted June 18 12 hours ago, Paddy said: Just for the hell of it I messaged the seller yesterday evening to point out it was a replica (being polite!) and I see this morning that it has been taken down. That's unusual they usually tell you to f***off and tell you your an idiot with S**t for brains Quote
Paddy Posted June 19 Posted June 19 11 hours ago, copper123 said: That's unusual they usually tell you to f***off and tell you your an idiot with S**t for brains I know - I am fairly thick skinned, so I can live with their abuse when they do that! The background of the seller - the quantity and quality of their feedback and the fact that others on here have bought successfully from them in the past suggested that maybe they were genuinely unaware of the issue. 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted June 20 Posted June 20 On 6/17/2026 at 7:12 PM, secret santa said: I see the replicas are re-appearing. This one purports to be a proof: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/206353463647?itmmeta=01KVAT58VF6ZRR0WDV2XM92C2E&hash=item300b9ff95f:g:u3EAAeSwkcBqMm2A&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAAwGfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xDqKzVvcjzhpKWp0V99B8G8QpHw2n7Lx%2BwMDY0sBLDshtsY09foJNFJkQ2F4hgcBp5AYrMW7vo0ghUHfYd7fuPbD%2Bk8PcONFzXtYKy6kLqfhzMB4rPI3yPgEzHJx4je7BqCjuYBeonpYqWSugzalgJloB1ah9SKPxvQGfJxOxR9el6FtTeHofq8pRtrGMGLiMNoUvwYYN1fccJsxd1VuLvFI2D%2FhIlsUoq2M2vK69fjlQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4aOldraZw That obverse is such an obvious repro Quote
Rob Posted June 22 Posted June 22 2 hours ago, HistoricCoinage said: Not a medieval coin I've ever seen before... Living proof that the education system is broken. I guess that makes Charlie's coins post-medieval, or maybe it is something to do with the date, given we are in the AH1400s. Too much detail to be hammered, but has certainly been through the mill. Unless it was one of Elon's ice-picks to blame for the obverse dent. I am not from Manchester. Quote
PWA 1967 Posted July 5 Posted July 5 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/366523954473?_skw=penny+coin&itmmeta=01KWT6YZX5NPV22P77BGXJ3S6Y&hash=item555687b529:g:pooAAeSwjKBqSnaA&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA8GfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xBASzf36AG%2FSFZbX1%2F6hahtC%2Bi8QV4cUdcZa%2FrNt4ydMMjXQzvEFKhp6doJPQlxHhjucZAeE0NbtoAPnfMT%2FlYvIZFG8rHXvGDpsr3UmhuIxPZfl7CQFYLN4gGW2Focz0c2dxlnNpsuJRD1ek7gxiAZq%2BRNI1DyDt3vvv1WwXwYYTZQBsSAWd0Z97B1tuFgjMwimhLUQXuZ9lFNi22hJBYQvBE50h0LmG3SRREbKFDGvefubcgliCBLQcH7MQa64Vuu8K%2FhYTOKAoywFUu8ePZpOUFXEopUvJNEbwt9QO77PQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4j_-8bmZw 1827 Penny 👎 Quote
Paddy Posted July 6 Posted July 6 That one has been ended by the seller last night. I wonder if in reaction to a tip off that it is a fake or because some mug bought it? Quote
Michael-Roo Posted July 6 Posted July 6 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127945382130?_skw=1696&itmmeta=01KWV68AKFNDSWCKKGPY94SJ64&hash=item1dca2398f2:g:iPYAAeSw35RqQGXn&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAAwGfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xDovThOToFz2ZFPxugPA9XSFNn8ZGWTRKC3MuiLJB2vvvikM48JUeNQ5533R99qzPdpkTJiede8k08e1bKo7QPHnPdYirkor3VFy0FOX2Qdv22cpy62ndLBOphkklDDLEyhg7Dorvm0zathn1pNWUCTsodDHQA6DNvLqugFfUYUWRm5YRDRZiZddbZrVpucvMHW9MCW66Ze6LEzfoQ8w6lGoPt4ne1QgIBCoh6HWU%2FLyw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6aqoebmZw 2 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 7 Posted July 7 On 7/6/2026 at 8:51 AM, Michael-Roo said: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/127945382130?_skw=1696&itmmeta=01KWV68AKFNDSWCKKGPY94SJ64&hash=item1dca2398f2:g:iPYAAeSw35RqQGXn&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAAwGfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xDovThOToFz2ZFPxugPA9XSFNn8ZGWTRKC3MuiLJB2vvvikM48JUeNQ5533R99qzPdpkTJiede8k08e1bKo7QPHnPdYirkor3VFy0FOX2Qdv22cpy62ndLBOphkklDDLEyhg7Dorvm0zathn1pNWUCTsodDHQA6DNvLqugFfUYUWRm5YRDRZiZddbZrVpucvMHW9MCW66Ze6LEzfoQ8w6lGoPt4ne1QgIBCoh6HWU%2FLyw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6aqoebmZw "Your coin will be carefully packaged in protective materials". WHY??? 1 Quote
Coys55 Posted July 8 Posted July 8 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/278153866658?_trksid=p4375194.c102727.m162921 Opinions on this one? I've always been interested in these pieces and have often thought about buying one, but I'd never buy one without provenance, and certainly not from eBay. It seems odd to me that one should turn up out of the blue in the hands of a seller of general odds and ends. I'm pretty sure there are lots of 19th century fakes out there and probably modern ones too. The description includes "this coin features intricate craftsmanship typical of the period" (hmm) and "Although uncertified"... Quote
jelida Posted July 8 Posted July 8 16 minutes ago, Coys55 said: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/278153866658?_trksid=p4375194.c102727.m162921 Opinions on this one? I've always been interested in these pieces and have often thought about buying one, but I'd never buy one without provenance, and certainly not from eBay. It seems odd to me that one should turn up out of the blue in the hands of a seller of general odds and ends. I'm pretty sure there are lots of 19th century fakes out there and probably modern ones too. The description includes "this coin features intricate craftsmanship typical of the period" (hmm) and "Although uncertified"... I’d be very dubious. This is a coin that you should only buy with a good provenance or through a professional dealer or auction house authenticity guaranteed. There are many more fakes than genuine out there I suspect. Jerry Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.