Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Coinery said:

That is just bonkers, ‘certified a genuine not genuine copy!’ Unbelievable!

Sounds like typical 21st century logic. 

  • Like 1
Posted
24 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

More from Blakeyboy's favourite seller...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234888374858?hash=item36b0702a4a:g:wtsAAOSw~ZNj4fCP

Who would have thought that verdigris would be such a selling point?! 😉

Indeed, it’s so corroded that I can’t even tell if it’s a genuine fake!

Jerry

  • Haha 1
Posted

Looks like he's taken the trouble to type up a Certificate of Authenticity.... so it must be bona fide....or maybe he's just going to put it in that lovely box when the coin changes address (COA). 

  • Haha 1
Posted

I remember seeing advertisements for "Certified Genuine Facsimile Autographed Baseballs".

Does that translate to that they are guaranteeing them to be fakes? Or Genuine Fakes??  It's Ludicrous. And people buy them.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
24 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Here we go again...

"New" seller in Leeds, but same old guff...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385421080558?hash=item59bce2f7ee:g:SCwAAOSwhtxj7Tf7

 

If this is all made up, then how much lower can you sink than to assert that the proceeds will go to a motor neurone disease charity, and even quoting the names of a couple of well known sufferers. 

 

Posted
12 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

I wonder why in the age of the algorithm some bright spark at ebay does not list a range of all the reported and or rare coins by date and type and when they get listed they get looked at and questioned.? 

Are you kidding? ebay tacitly encourages the selling of fakes by paying no more than lip service to their "policing". They don't care what sells, as long as it sells and they make money. :rolleyes:

  • Like 2
Posted

That said I must have 30 or so George III fakes that I simply cannot list. If I get them through the original listing process someone always reports me. A bit annoying really considering that these can be quite desirable.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

The seller ID may be fresh but that idiosyncratic voice is familiar.

Is this now a third 1933 penny and accompanying tall tale in as many years?

Also strikes me as a perfectly literate individual deliberately disguising their writing in an attempt to appear uneducated.  

Edited by 1949threepence
Posted (edited)

Notice only the date 1933 has been cleaned... 

Also I think people selling for a charity on eBay has the charity ribbon icon on their listings ...

Edited by Sword
Posted
37 minutes ago, DrLarry said:
3 hours ago, Flash said:

That said I must have 30 or so George III fakes that I simply cannot list. If I get them through the original listing process someone always reports me. A bit annoying really considering that these can be quite desirable.

That is a shame .  Although if you were going to enter the counterfeit business as a chinese die maker I think the Contemporary Georgian counterfeits would be the best place to start.  I have a lot of them and recently have been shocked at some of the prices they fetch in the US ...it is a big part of their history  

You should be on safer ground listing them as non-regal or contemporary copies - there are loads of that sort of listing all the time. "Fake" is probably a word to avoid...

Mind you, in 200 years' time, wonder if there will be a good market for today's Chinese copies and replicas?  Maybe "Chimney sweep of Leeds" (see above!) should just hang on for a couple of centuries! 😁

 

  • Like 1
Posted

If you offer e bay sufficient evidence, they will take down a fake listing. They did once at my request. The details are on the forum somewhere.

But that was one amongst many. The vast majority we will never see.

As pointed out above, as long as they can make a profit, that's all they're really concerned about. They only pay the merest lip service to seller honesty.  

I think all you can reasonably do is keep a sharp lookout in your areas of interest. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The seller ID may be fresh but that idiosyncratic voice is familiar.

Is this now a third 1933 penny and accompanying tall tale in as many years?

Oh lord, it's her again. And no amount of mentioning "the misses" will disguise the fact.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:
6 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

The seller ID may be fresh but that idiosyncratic voice is familiar.

Is this now a third 1933 penny and accompanying tall tale in as many years?

Oh lord, it's her again. And no amount of mentioning "the misses" will disguise the fact.

Quite a house in Leeds she lives in... One of her earlier 1933's was found inside a clock, I seem to remember, and now one up her chimney... 😉

Wonder where the next one will be discovered... Any guesses?!

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Quite a house in Leeds she lives in... One of her earlier 1933's was found inside a clock, I seem to remember, and now one up her chimney... 😉

Wonder where the next one will be discovered... Any guesses?!

The third came in a Whitman folder with a date run of other worn pennies and a crude hole had been cut in the margin of one of the pages for the 1933. The collection had been bought at a charity sale held at The Church of St Cross in Middleton. 

  • Haha 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Quite a house in Leeds she lives in... One of her earlier 1933's was found inside a clock, I seem to remember, and now one up her chimney... 😉

Wonder where the next one will be discovered... Any guesses?!

There's only one response to "one up her chimney"...

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg.da7550c02ece533f149c1b6319c84f0e.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Posted

I despair, I really do.

How long would it have taken this div to search eBay for the same coin before listing? It took me as long as it took to type '50 pence 1997 Bailiwick of Guernsey'.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=50+pence+1997+bailiwick+of+guernsey&_sacat=11116

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385421080558?hash=item59bce2f7ee:g:SCwAAOSwhtxj7Tf7

I see the lucky chimney find is at £37, with 17 bids, and with 6 days still to run. I suspect it likely a few rascals having a bit of fun?

Poor dear, she's been let down in the past by winning bidders who failed to pay up for her 1933 pennies hasn't she.

Tsk, you just can't depend on people these days.

So, fingers crossed this time eh? Told it may be worth around a quarter of a million, so listed on eBay, without reserve, at a starting price of 99p.🤞

 

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted
1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385421080558?hash=item59bce2f7ee:g:SCwAAOSwhtxj7Tf7

I see the lucky chimney find is at £37, with 17 bids, and with 6 days still to run. I suspect it likely a few rascals having a bit of fun?

Poor dear, she's been let down in the past by winning bidders who failed to pay up for her 1933 pennies hasn't she.

Tsk, you just can't depend on people these days.

So, fingers crossed this time eh? Told it may be worth around a quarter of a million, so listed on eBay, without reserve, at a starting price of 99p.🤞

 

Best little fireside story I’ve read in quite some time, that…they should be selling the story, NOT the coins, pure entertainment :D 

 

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...