Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a recollection of somebody MANY YEARS ago having images of desirable collectibles (coins, stamps, cards, etc.) as part of the listing; and in a small font and a white or light font color (so as to be virtually unreadable although searchable) the information that " This Auction is for a Photograph of the item imaged and NOT for the item itself.

A lot of money passed hands from a lot of disappointed, disillusioned, disgusted, and disgruntled buyers. Not sure what the end result was of all the complaints though

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I've sent a request that they remove it from the auction. It's a convincing fake to someone not experienced, but to us it's an obvious repro because we know what to look for.

  • Like 2
Posted

This photo is from their website, resident coin specialist Ken Payne, perhaps grading a coin?0210AF65-8C70-451E-B7DB-A90DF3C39C76.jpeg.b51e66e5b0abea89f7db07e9bda5bffc.jpeg

sorry Ken

  • Haha 3
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I've sent a request that they remove it from the auction. It's a convincing fake to someone not experienced, but to us it's an obvious repro because we know what to look for.

I also emailed them and they've replied asking for further information. I sent back their images with the tooth count illustrated. 130 teeth on either side - numbers which don't exist on genuine coins. Also sent them pictures of a fake 1869 penny with the same obverse/reverse, pointing out that that an 1881 penny would have a an "aged" portrait. And referred them to my varieties website for further info.

They have now replied and are going to remove the coin from their auction.

Edited by secret santa
addition
  • Like 5
Posted
5 hours ago, secret santa said:

I also emailed them and they've replied asking for further information. I sent back their images with the tooth count illustrated. 130 teeth on either side - numbers which don't exist on genuine coins. Also sent them pictures of a fake 1869 penny with the same obverse/reverse, pointing out that that an 1881 penny would have a an "aged" portrait. And referred them to my varieties website for further info.

They have now replied and are going to remove the coin from their auction.

yeah, I told them about the expertise on this forum. I also told them that genuine pennies don't have a bust that is so deeply engraved with such 'modeled' hair and bodice details.

  • Like 1
Posted
8 hours ago, secret santa said:

Somebody's 'avin a larf with that offering.

Is it the comic relief bit of the auction?   

  • Haha 1
Posted
17 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Somebody's 'avin a larf with that offering.

Is it the comic relief bit of the auction?   

bit early for April Fool's!

  • Haha 1
Posted

I would say it is probably one of the least nice/ interesting /worse grade decimal coins in existance , best busted out and spent ...

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 4/12/2022 at 10:38 PM, Michael-Roo said:

What a shame.

 

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

May as well hang a rarity around your neck if you’re going to! I’ve always had an old E1 sixpence on leather cord around mine…lost 2 along the way though! I often think of the pool attendant in Greece who’ll likely have stumbled across one of them!

  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted
On 3/30/2022 at 5:33 PM, 1949threepence said:

Somebody's 'avin a larf with that offering.

Is it the comic relief bit of the auction?   

Result: sold!  not!

 

760076811_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb6fe8b7ce3ce0738e176a795ee805f2.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Posted
3 hours ago, Sword said:

Result: sold!  not!

 

760076811_1-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb6fe8b7ce3ce0738e176a795ee805f2.jpg

Good, if they can sell this, more and more of the same must be offered by them in near future.

  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 5/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, Bruce said:

Good, if they can sell this, more and more of the same must be offered by them in near future.

Bet you would have a problem finding a worse minger than that ........

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Is this really a modified effigy, despite the slab? Looking at the BM initials, and the colon after BRITT,  I have doubts. But apparently a good investment.

Jerry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265719087505?hash=item3dde178191:g:HdMAAOSweUFimGwD

Edited by jelida
Add link
Posted
19 minutes ago, jelida said:

Is this really a modified effigy, despite the slab? Looking at the BM initials, and the colon after BRITT,  I have doubts. But apparently a good investment.

Jerry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265719087505?hash=item3dde178191:g:HdMAAOSweUFimGwD

No, definitely not an ME.

The lower colon dot after GRA should be virtually touching the A.

Plus other indicators not present.  

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...