Coys55 Posted July 8 Posted July 8 3 hours ago, jelida said: I’d be very dubious. This is a coin that you should only buy with a good provenance or through a professional dealer or auction house authenticity guaranteed. There are many more fakes than genuine out there I suspect. Jerry I agree, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but a number of bidders obviously disagree. I wouldn't even know where to start getting one of those things authenticated, apart from checking the size and weight. If those are OK then I'd be stumped. Quote
TomGoodheart Posted July 8 Posted July 8 I'm quite amused by this. It's in a box that contains a CoA and says 'The Original Silver Shilling' when it's very clearly a counterfeit (or modern copy)! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/188613279900?_skw=hammered+charles+i&itmmeta=01KX0X2FT35JC9XM1J2185C2Q4&hash=item2bea3a409c:g:jSIAAeSwe5lp9hpi&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA8GfYFPkwiKCW4ZNSs2u11xAuOGJ%2Fw4o%2F1SMEQaSKweB4QGvCG0r3QqsP5RQZzXqxv8MDel%2Bao6MS80675DUV%2Bzk88i7SN5rpT7LwG%2F899HMeRLXcENdyqy9pVtQOdhB2CNCw57VeUXzdT8FDauCRANABoDrKvkbWbuJHWFYtuN0FhxBQtTai%2FyGkw1fX3JCu%2FnnjyA0U18l6A1bra6JRKC3mnGdSXQo0QazISkeFDCaO%2BB5WmFNI95HV9OT66lbJD5yBML2u2pCQBdKRjRLE7HsdgHJvDKpZlbp7SZjtAQtj2mtiMsVL2lk6ZWjlLvt1DA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8D9iZ3oZw Quote
Coys55 Posted July 12 Posted July 12 On 7/8/2026 at 9:25 AM, Coys55 said: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/278153866658?_trksid=p4375194.c102727.m162921 Opinions on this one? I've always been interested in these pieces and have often thought about buying one, but I'd never buy one without provenance, and certainly not from eBay. It seems odd to me that one should turn up out of the blue in the hands of a seller of general odds and ends. I'm pretty sure there are lots of 19th century fakes out there and probably modern ones too. The description includes "this coin features intricate craftsmanship typical of the period" (hmm) and "Although uncertified"... It went for £640. Quote
secret santa Posted July 25 Posted July 25 Another replica penny on Ebay - I've messaged the seller but he hasn't taken it down. I hope no-one falls for it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/287481861974?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e111028.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=ee1821cbf0274276908e6d80f2933171&bu=43154646029&osub=-1~1&crd=20260724145657&segname=111028 Quote
Paddy Posted July 26 Posted July 26 I messaged them too and have just had a reply - thanking me and saying they have taken the item down. Quote
secret santa Posted July 26 Posted July 26 Me too. At first he he said he'd counted the border teeth and it was genuine but when I sent him pictures with the teeth numbered, he relented. Quote
Coinery Posted September 22 Posted September 22 I absolutely LOVE this one, and you only get to see the reverse, too…maybe they’re just being kind! Kind of Knight-like in shape, quite the piece of art https://ebay.io/m/Mck7Te 1 1 Quote
HistoricCoinage Posted September 22 Posted September 22 1 hour ago, Coinery said: I absolutely LOVE this one, and you only get to see the reverse, too…maybe they’re just being kind! Kind of Knight-like in shape, quite the piece of art https://ebay.io/m/Mck7Te Buttttt, it does have a 20% off coupon! Please don't blame the postie if this turns up on your door mat this week, Stuart... 😬 1 Quote
Coinery Posted September 22 Posted September 22 29 minutes ago, HistoricCoinage said: Buttttt, it does have a 20% off coupon! Please don't blame the postie if this turns up on your door mat this week, Stuart... 😬 I’m hoping your packaging will deliver something slightly more round, Clive 🙏 1 Quote
wlewisiii Posted September 23 Posted September 23 (edited) Oh boy, here's another fun POS. "Great Britain 1885 Coin Victoria Britanniarum" How can people fall for this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/188825441303 Edited September 23 by wlewisiii fix images Quote
Rob Posted September 23 Posted September 23 (edited) 2 hours ago, wlewisiii said: Oh boy, here's another fun POS. "Great Britain 1885 Coin Victoria Britanniarum" How can people fall for this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/188825441303 Because they know no better and want to believe what they see. Unfortunately, knowledge requires some input from the prospective purchaser in the form of reading up the subject before buying. To me and you it is simple, but that's because we are interested in the subject matter. For the uninitiated just randomly looking for things that appeal visually, it's not a great step to hit the buy button. Sad but true. Ebay can't police the content sufficiently to make a difference, so once again, it relies on the moral compass of the seller. There should be a useful statistic in there somewhere for a number for Mr. Average's honesty coefficient, not to mention the gullibility coefficient of the typical buyer. Edited September 23 by Rob 1 2 Quote
Coys55 Posted September 29 Posted September 29 44 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said: https://ebay.io/m/Bvd8Q6 😬 It has the denomination half-crown on the reverse does it? 1 Quote
Ukstu Posted yesterday at 06:23 PM Posted yesterday at 06:23 PM A WRL copy. Highlighted the stamp and circled it. Reported it and was told the listing is fine a customer service person has approved it. Maybe a few more reports will assist in getting it pulled. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/880004309094 Stu 1 Quote
Paddy Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago I have messaged the seller - we will see how honest they are. I suspect the "Customer Service Person" at Ebay was an AI bot! 1 Quote
Ukstu Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 10 hours ago, Paddy said: I have messaged the seller - we will see how honest they are. I suspect the "Customer Service Person" at Ebay was an AI bot! Says sold but that could mean pulled as well. Nice work ! Thanks. Quote
Rob Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago How are you supposed to 'train' a system specifically designed by people whose companies want to rule world, even if using dodgy info to learn that WRL stands for a small niche in numismatics called COPIES. Fake news mostly exists in the minds of people involved in the dissemination of said 'sh**e'. When all info is legitimate learning material, misinformation is reported as accurate if more people say it's ok than call it out for what it is. It's called rewriting history. Sane members of humanity are encouraged to keep as much contemporary written material as possible to negate the anticipated rewrite courtesy of today's dictators/autocrats/snake oil salesmen who are doing things to benefit their control over the peasants. As the one balled former Chancellor of Germany showed a century ago, the people will accept lies if repeated often enough. A premise the current heads of 3 superpowers are using to this day. He did not have copyright on the technique. Quote
Coinery Posted 43 minutes ago Posted 43 minutes ago 28 minutes ago, Rob said: How are you supposed to 'train' a system specifically designed by people whose companies want to rule world, even if using dodgy info to learn that WRL stands for a small niche in numismatics called COPIES. Fake news mostly exists in the minds of people involved in the dissemination of said 'sh**e'. When all info is legitimate learning material, misinformation is reported as accurate if more people say it's ok than call it out for what it is. It's called rewriting history. Sane members of humanity are encouraged to keep as much contemporary written material as possible to negate the anticipated rewrite courtesy of today's dictators/autocrats/snake oil salesmen who are doing things to benefit their control over the peasants. As the one balled former Chancellor of Germany showed a century ago, the people will accept lies if repeated often enough. A premise the current heads of 3 superpowers are using to this day. He did not have copyright on the technique. This will blow your mind, Rob, if you haven’t watched it already? Really worth a watch for everyone…a Netflix documentary! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.