British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Just can't tell from a picture that small... Maybe/Possibly...(Fingers crossed) but there is some crud around some of the letters - eg. the A of HALF, and perhaps the "P" is just a bit of crud??

I take it you don't have it in hand yet. Only a bigger picture or it in hand would be decisive.

Not in hand yet. Christmas post delays etc. An unfair question I'll admit. Photos when it arrives.

Thanks Martin

On 12/26/2023 at 10:02 PM, Zo Arms said:

An unfair question I'll admit.

A brave call from that photo. Fingers crossed.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:02 PM, Zo Arms said:

Not in hand yet. Christmas post delays etc. An unfair question I'll admit. Photos when it arrives.

I take it that it wasn't then... ☹️

On 9/12/2023 at 9:00 PM, Paddy said:

That was the conclusion I was coming to. Seemed unusual to see one dated so early - I usually associate the contemporary counterfeits with the late 18th century but I see some of the evasions are dated much earlier, so that makes sense.

There are a whole series issued with 1739 Coleman only mentions 1 yours looks like one of the Curly Hair families they are not a very researched group but with dates 1729;1739; 41; 49;50 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 10:44 PM, Zo Arms said:

Great coin there Paddy. Are you thinking of purchasing?   

I think that this is the direction that I'm about to travel next. I love the history behind these coins.

Contemporary counterfeit halfpenny and farthing families. By Jeff Rock and Others.

A study of contemporary counterfeiters and the coins that can be attributed to each individual forger. Something that I've been meaning to purchase for a while now.

I've often wondered if this thread would develope to encompass other monarchs. Pleased to see that it has.

I think we did start a thread on contemporary counterfeits I have Coleman and the more advanced book by R Moore et al which I'm using now a lot for research I agree they are fascinating but complicated but let me know if you need me to look anything up. Happy to help 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2023 at 9:24 PM, Zo Arms said:

Am I seeing an F here? 1861.

Screenshot_20230728-211919~2.png

I have found one of these too! It's an 1861 6+G, and can confirm it's actually an E over the B. On my specimen below, there is a bit of a die crack to the left of the E/B and some damage to the beads above. Wonder if that's connected to the repair? Worth recording on your Viccy halfpennies obverses page, Richard? @secret santa Feel free to use the pictures!

E 1.JPG

E 2.JPG

E 3.JPG

E 4.JPG

E 5.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

Edited by Martinminerva
  • Like 9

Haven't seen this error before, good finds! I suspect that these two coins maybe from different dies. One picture indicates the leg of R loop is inline with the serif of the I. the other coin, the loop of the R points above the serif of the I. This may be just an illusion that sometimes happens with digital photography, but full pictures of each obverse may confirm this one way or the other.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I suspect that these two coins maybe from different dies. One picture indicates the leg of R loop is inline with the serif of the I. the other coin, the loop of the R points above the serif of the I. This may be just an illusion that sometimes happens with digital photography, but full pictures of each obverse may confirm this one way or the other.

Good shout - I think you're right. Full obverses are already on the thread, the earlier one on page 22 and my one below the microscope enlargements, but I paste both in again here. The R you refer to has different degrees of rotation as can be seen by where the vertical points - on mine to a space, but on the original left of a bead. Keen eyed people might be able to spot other differences? So, wonder if it is two completely different dies, or just other subsequent repairs/alterations? What would be the chances of exactly the same E over B twice? The die crack on mine isn't on the original, so suggests mine is a later strike than the original if it is one die that has had other work done on it?

Screenshot 2024-03-23 220601.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-23 220831.jpg

I have to say that given that there appear to be two obverse dies, the original does seem to be F over B and the latest an E over B.  Richard, you have your work cut out.🧐

Jerry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jelida said:

I have to say that given that there appear to be two obverse dies, the original does seem to be F over B and the latest an E over B.  Richard, you have your work cut out.🧐

Jerry

I still favour the E/B based on the little pointy bit here: 

1861 ½d E over B.jpg

9 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I still favour the E/B based on the little pointy bit here: 

1861 ½d E over B.jpg

Certainly it could be either, I don’t think the photos are definitive. A little but of gunge removal and closer images would help.

Jerry

• Like 2

I could be wrong but the brown one appears to me as obverse 4 and the other obverse 6

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I could be wrong but the brown one appears to me as obverse 4 and the other obverse 6

The closeness of the V to the linear circle supports this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

I think you're both absolutely right. The original, brown one has minimal O of SOIT visible at the back of her truncation, but the redder one has the O near complete, so for me, yes, one is obverse 4 and one obverse 6. I suspect a rewrite of your half pennies page will be coming, Richard! So, two new discoveries rather than one! Whoever was on B repairing duty at the mint for these two dies was having a bad time!! :D

Any more of either obverse out there in forum land? Check your 1861's everyone!

• Like 1

Hi all.

It appears that I'm late to the party and the cleaners are just stacking the chairs and sweeping up.

Not much to add really.

I would agree with Bernie that mine is an obverse 4 and Martin's a 6.

The A pointing in Victoria is different due to rotation. As is the D of D:G: Martin's being extreme. Richard has mentioned the V of Victoria.

I think the R of BRITT on mine has been repunched, slightly rotated too.

Martin's strongly appears to be an E. Mine, I'm not sure. I can see Jon's reasoning for an E but I've always swayed to an F as Jerry says.

Give me an hour or so, and I'll see if I can do some better photos as I think there may be something going on under the B too.

Cracking find Martin.

• Thanks 1

I agree that both appear to be E/B though  the lower limb of the E is harder to make out on the earlier picture. I can see someone mistaking a halfpenny-sized E for a B - especially with the serifs curving inward - but it's much harder to see someone mistaking an F for a B though it's not impossible of course!

• Like 1

Can I just check if this looks like an 1853/2 please?

Ta.

1853HalfpennyB.jpg

Posted (edited)

A clear picture to confirm ,it does look like one although may appear better under a microscope ,especially with some light.

4ef75164-a8a3-457a-97d8-79ca87a187c3.JPG

Edited by PWA 1967

Thanks Pete,

Will have a better look when office is back to normal

3 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

I would agree with Bernie that mine is an obverse 4 and Martin's a 6.

The A pointing in Victoria is different due to rotation. As is the D of D:G: Martin's being extreme. Richard has mentioned the V of Victoria.

I think the R of BRITT on mine has been repunched, slightly rotated too.

Cracking find Martin.

Thanks, Bob. Just out of interest, what reverse is yours? On Richard's draft on his halfpenny page he (and I) assumed yours is a reverse G as mine is, but that was when we thought they were both the same obverse 6. Now we're sure yours is obverse 4, wonder if it's a different reverse too? Can you post a picture of the reverse?

On 3/24/2024 at 10:38 PM, Martinminerva said:

Thanks, Bob. Just out of interest, what reverse is yours? On Richard's draft on his halfpenny page he (and I) assumed yours is a reverse G as mine is, but that was when we thought they were both the same obverse 6. Now we're sure yours is obverse 4, wonder if it's a different reverse too? Can you post a picture of the reverse?

Any updates yet, Bob ?

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

Any updates yet, Bob ?

Just got in. Looking for it now.

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Any updates yet, Bob ?

Took a while to locate it.

Reverse G.

Die fill to the top of the E may be useful in finding another example.

IMG_20240326_211550601.jpg

• Like 1