Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
15 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said:

A sold example of the BP1898Ca with remaining luster graded A/UNC sold for £400.

 

Yes i am aware of the prices ones have sold for, grade is everything though and a big difference in one A/UNC with lustre and Ians.

Posted
1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Your own coin Rob is not the same as Ians which is Bisect BP1898Ca and much rarer, yours is Ba. Although i agree not the easiest coin to sell Ians is probably worth about £80 if he can find someone that wants one, obviously he can asks what he wants its just finding someone that wants one and priced any higher may have it a while.

 

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes i am aware of the prices ones have sold for, grade is everything though and a big difference in one A/UNC with lustre and Ians.

Absolutely yes, I was replying to Ians initial question to give an idea as he said he couldnt find auction/sale prices.

Posted
6 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said:

 

Absolutely yes, I was replying to Ians initial question to give an idea as he said he couldnt find auction/sale prices.

There has been ones that have sold for more, problem with the variety is they are only really rare in grades better than VF. When one does turn up in higher grades they have sold for good money although one less person wanting one. This is  why the price of one like Ians is hard to accurately price and more just got to try them, although try them to high and collectors start to compare them with much better examples and ones in Fine there are plenty of for £25.

Posted
7 minutes ago, absence of uniformity said:

Here's a coin I have although I'm not sure. Its hard to see properly.

1898_resized.jpg

That looks to be Ba the same as Robs.

Posted
2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

That looks to be Ba the same as Robs.

Although looking on the main computer may even be a normal one and would need a clearer picture.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 2/25/2026 at 5:37 PM, Martinminerva said:

Have a look at Gouby's (brilliant) website if you want to learn more about all the various types of coin varieties, and specifically at this page for this die-clash ribbon issue: https://michael-coins.co.uk/cp1848 ribbon.htm

I also insert a screenshot of some of the subtly different clashes that have typically been observed by Gouby based on the impact pressure and transfer of detail for separate clashes.

 

Screenshot 2026-02-25 163159.jpg

Can I ask please out of interest have you seen Bronze pennies showing the same clash?

thanks

Posted

This is just about the most extreme example I have come across !!!   An 1862 penny

1862dieclashmostextremeseen3.JPG.6d49cb630580655231604bf5ec1f9070.JPG

Note the half circle on Victoria's back , its the shield from the reverse side . The extra ribbons are created from the folds in Britannia's. dress 

  • Like 4
Posted

This one, on an F16, has always intrigued me. Ghosting of Victoria's face can be seen (as it often does) above Britannia's left knee, but there is also something strange going on with the border teeth.

The series of pictures at the bottom show an overlay picture of border teeth, from the same coin, which I have made gradually transparent from 0% to 100% as go from left to right hand side. This shows that the marks through Britannia's knees are clearly from border teeth.

I bought this coin at Heritage in 2013 (MS63 Slabbed), and it took me a long time to find another F16 like this, to prove that it must have occurred during the minting process.......rather than the coin being hit with something post-minting.

I will show the pictures of that other coin immediately below, as this picture uses up my 500Kb allowance!!

  

1860W Reverse Teeth Sized.jpg

  • Like 4
Posted
17 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

This is just about the most extreme example I have come across !!!   An 1862 penny

1862dieclashmostextremeseen3.JPG.6d49cb630580655231604bf5ec1f9070.JPG

Note the half circle on Victoria's back , its the shield from the reverse side . The extra ribbons are created from the folds in Britannia's. dress 

Thanks ! Interesting coin.

Posted
10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

PSX_20211005_205318.jpg

 

10 hours ago, alfnail said:

This one, on an F16, has always intrigued me. Ghosting of Victoria's face can be seen (as it often does) above Britannia's left knee, but there is also something strange going on with the border teeth.

The series of pictures at the bottom show an overlay picture of border teeth, from the same coin, which I have made gradually transparent from 0% to 100% as go from left to right hand side. This shows that the marks through Britannia's knees are clearly from border teeth.

I bought this coin at Heritage in 2013 (MS63 Slabbed), and it took me a long time to find another F16 like this, to prove that it must have occurred during the minting process.......rather than the coin being hit with something post-minting.

I will show the pictures of that other coin immediately below, as this picture uses up my 500Kb allowance!!

  

1860W Reverse Teeth Sized.jpg

How do you think the edge of the die clashed almost central? Are the two dies not on a fixed axis?

Posted

My most extreme die clash .Apologies, not a penny (1696 Halfpenny) .1696HALFPENNYdieclashPeck644(2).thumb.jpg.8110d1078f48531bcc8ea7e457de3b74.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Spectacular, but not a die clash. This has been completely struck twice and rotated in the dies between striking.

Yes, wrong words used lol. double struck .I'm sure this type is noted in Peck , so not a one off.

Posted
8 hours ago, absence of uniformity said:

 

How do you think the edge of the die clashed almost central? Are the two dies not on a fixed axis?

It looks to me as if there was nearly a brockage, as the raised detail of the teeth is the incuse detail on the die. If a coin is not properly expelled between strikes, it will act as the die and leave an incuse detailed impression, because a die has the inverted relief, ie incuse is raised an vice versa, so to have raised 'incuse detail', it had to be a wrong-un, because the die would not have changed its relief and would strike normally, albeit off-centre. With several examples known, the detail must have been from a trapped coin. 

  • Like 3
Posted

This 1915 Penny looks very much to be a recessed ear variety, but seems to lack the broken tooth. Any thoughts?

(Screenshot from online so no sharper image possible.)

Recessedearquery.jpg.924a5446e08089f1440e4b36e977286c.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted

It's good. I have recessed ear 1915 pennies both with and without broken tooth. Without seems rarer. Haven't yet seen a 1916 without broken tooth though.

  • Like 1
Posted

I agree - I find these very difficult to sport generally. I was fortunate this time that the next image was a 1916 in similar condition and the difference in the ears stood out, even to me! Here is the 1916:

1916pennydetail.jpg.c46450f9d03115ebc89a7de27a73dbe2.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
12 hours ago, Paddy said:

the difference in the ears stood out

Help me please - what exactly stood out ?

I still can't see any significant differences in my own recessed and non-recessed coins.

Posted

For me it is the "trench" around the ear that struck me. The actual design of the ear is unchanged, but as the name suggests, it is recessed into a hollow.

I am very poor at identifying all these varieties. Even "colon to gap" and "colon to tooth" often leaves me puzzling which I am looking at!

Posted
3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Help me please - what exactly stood out ?

I still can't see any significant differences in my own recessed and non-recessed coins.

It's a weird one - I remember when I was searching through bank bags as a schoolkid in the late 60s; now and again I'd see 1915 or 1916 pennies where the head just 'looked weird', especially around the ear. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I did notice each one when it appeared. It may be that the difference is more obvious on a more worn penny than on one that's EF or better? In other words, the ear is less worn than it should be and seems a bit more sunk than on normal examples.

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...