terrysoldpennies Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 Yes Paddy we have pictures . 1 Quote
Paddy Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 But when I tried to edit to add a cooment, it wouldn't have it! Comment was: "Wow! Worked first time without having to delete and retry. Maybe a fix has been applied?" 1 Quote
dmw2602 Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 A couple of interesting additions for me (still can't post pics), will need upgrades at some point, but happy with the finds. BP1888B and 1903 Open 3 https://imgur.com/a/gKtNxqs 1 Quote
The Bee Posted September 24, 2025 Posted September 24, 2025 1860 Penny D + d Hi, I bought this 1860 Penny recently, think its a D + d, with die clashes I assume, but wondered if it was one of the micro varieties of + d's that Paul Holland found Great to get your expert thoughts Best Regards P.S. there is an extra couple of lines on the shield , well out of alignment, which I originally took to be a scratch in the auction photo, which I assume is related to die clashing Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted September 24, 2025 Posted September 24, 2025 Yes almost certainly Die clash . It can leave some very strange marks. 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted September 25, 2025 Posted September 25, 2025 On 9/11/2025 at 1:08 PM, dmw2602 said: A couple of interesting additions for me (still can't post pics), will need upgrades at some point, but happy with the finds. BP1888B and 1903 Open 3 https://imgur.com/a/gKtNxqs Best of luck with an upgrade to the 1903....good examples are, for some reason, very rare indeed! 2 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted September 25, 2025 Posted September 25, 2025 Having a go at posting pictures again lets hope It appears on your screen. This one hasn't got a hole in it , Its almost a train tunnel , but I just had to give it a home as Its an 1861 Freeman 24 4+f on Richards rare list. 5 Quote
SilverAge3 Posted September 26, 2025 Posted September 26, 2025 (edited) Recent pickup Looks like my image isn't being attached Went in and deleted images that aren't showing up here, tried again several times. No joy. Edited September 26, 2025 by SilverAge3 Quote
The Bee Posted September 27, 2025 Posted September 27, 2025 1891 Penny - bit of grease or something partly blocking the end of the tail of the 9 and some of the feathers on Britannia's helmet I've compared three examples and wondered if there has been some adjustments to QV's face or whether its just wear / toning (I'll post elsewhere) Best Regards Quote
secret santa Posted October 22, 2025 Posted October 22, 2025 Yesterday, Noonan's sold an F13 penny with repaired E's. It was also the "short sea" variety described on Page 14 of John Jerrams' booklet on Bun Pennies. The mutliple repairs to letters and the linear circle are distinctive of this variety. 3 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted October 22, 2025 Posted October 22, 2025 In the interest of trying to keep some coins showing on the forum , I'll try to post this 1962 penny with missing waves and horizon left of lighthouse . listed by David Groom , [ but not pictured ] 5 Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted October 22, 2025 Posted October 22, 2025 3 hours ago, secret santa said: Yesterday, Noonan's sold an F13 penny with repaired E's. It was also the "short sea" variety described on Page 14 of John Jerrams' booklet on Bun Pennies. The mutliple repairs to letters and the linear circle are distinctive of this variety. I have one listed on ebay at the moment. The same short sea/rock formation, repaired E's, die cracks. Ebay item#: 326743200377 2 Quote
The Bee Posted October 26, 2025 Posted October 26, 2025 Rather less interesting - another possible 1905 with a small 0 Quote
secret santa Posted October 27, 2025 Posted October 27, 2025 On 10/22/2025 at 2:45 PM, terrysoldpennies said: In the interest of trying to keep some coins showing on the forum , I'll try to post this 1962 penny with missing waves and horizon left of lighthouse . listed by David Groom , [ but not pictured ] Thanks Terry, I've added to my rare penny site. 2 Quote
Citizen H Posted October 30, 2025 Posted October 30, 2025 2 invaders found amongst the hoard of "H", although I did find the 1858 interesting to look at..... Quote
The Bee Posted November 1, 2025 Posted November 1, 2025 Partly Missing Waves 1966 ? Thought I'd work though 1961 - 67 pennies , part way through sorting into years, noticed this 1966 might have some waves missing on the left hand side (but not "missing waves") Best Regards Quote
secret santa Posted November 1, 2025 Posted November 1, 2025 Yes, the waves are never totally "missing" but vary in their weakness from year to year, and sometimes within a particular year. 1 Quote
The Bee Posted November 1, 2025 Posted November 1, 2025 Many thanks Richard, So that might be missing waves . And this one I'm assuming is just damage to an 1964 Penny, as I have a ghostly figure next to the lighthouse Quote
The Bee Posted November 2, 2025 Posted November 2, 2025 Another possible missing waves, this time 1963 2 Quote
The Bee Posted November 3, 2025 Posted November 3, 2025 Quite a slog going through QEII Pennies for the first time after finishing work Then looking more closely at an otherwise a mundane circulated example of a 1964 Penny, I find all of date is doubled Best Regards (I'll do a few more) 1 Quote
The Bee Posted November 6, 2025 Posted November 6, 2025 Hi, I wondered if anyone had any example of single digit date repairs for the 1961 - 67 Pennies for example a repair only on the 9 or 6 ? I seem to be only finding doubling. Just starting 1967 and have two different examples. Both reverses of which have slightly doubling on Britannia on the wrist of the hand holding the trident and the lower arm of the hand holding the shield. Best Regards Quote
VickySilver Posted November 8, 2025 Posted November 8, 2025 I think some have called that "skip" with the die slipping on strike...Something of that sort...Comes with a shelf-like appearance at the date and occasionally other devices. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted November 8, 2025 Posted November 8, 2025 I've also heard it called "die chatter". Quote
blakeyboy Posted November 8, 2025 Posted November 8, 2025 I still don't get it. If the die moves, all the coin is affected. If the die is held and can only rotate, then the effect is geater near the edge. Surely this is the case? So a doubling of just the date can't be down to the die moving- the doubling is already on the die...????? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.