jelida Posted August 17, 2025 Posted August 17, 2025 I really don’t see any hint of delamination, just a die flaw and the adherent plastic residue. It really is a very decent coin. Jerry 2 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 17, 2025 Posted August 17, 2025 Guess there is only one way to find out 😬 1 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 (edited) Hi, Trying to upload a picture again of a potential V over A on an 1866, has anyone come across that before? May just be a die issue I suppose 🤷🏻♂️ Edited August 20, 2025 by dmw2602 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 7 minutes ago, dmw2602 said: Hi, Trying to upload a picture again of a potential V over A on an 1866, has anyone come across that before? May just be a die issue I suppose 🤷🏻♂️ Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 https://i.postimg.cc/nrB0Bzt4/Full-Size-Render.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/nrB0Bzt4/Full-Size-Render.jpg Quote
Rob Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 28 minutes ago, dmw2602 said: https://i.postimg.cc/nrB0Bzt4/Full-Size-Render.jpghttps://i.postimg.cc/nrB0Bzt4/Full-Size-Render.jpg Probably the A was reinforced using a V punch after the die became worn/filled. The original crossbar is still visible, so either letter would do. Alternatively the inverted V was punched in first, the error noted and then punched a second time using the right punch. Given the original design was engraved on a larger diameter face than the diameter of a penny and then reduced, the first would be more likely, as faulty engraving is more obvious prior to reduction of diameter, and in any case you would expect to see it on all dies made from that obverse. 1 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 20, 2025 Posted August 20, 2025 35 minutes ago, Rob said: Probably the A was reinforced using a V punch after the die became worn/filled. The original crossbar is still visible, so either letter would do. Alternatively the inverted V was punched in first, the error noted and then punched a second time using the right punch. Given the original design was engraved on a larger diameter face than the diameter of a penny and then reduced, the first would be more likely, as faulty engraving is more obvious prior to reduction of diameter, and in any case you would expect to see it on all dies made from that obverse. Thanks Rob, never sure if it makes them more or less collectible but enjoyable nonetheless the less. 1 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 21, 2025 Posted August 21, 2025 On 8/17/2025 at 10:10 AM, dmw2602 said: Guess there is only one way to find out 😬 Just arrived, looks and feels like a plasticky deposit on the coin, I’m now too scared to remove it 😂 Quote
jelida Posted August 21, 2025 Posted August 21, 2025 45 minutes ago, dmw2602 said: Just arrived, looks and feels like a plasticky deposit on the coin, I’m now too scared to remove it 😂 Just soak it in acetone, won’t do any harm. Jerry 2 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 21, 2025 Posted August 21, 2025 17 minutes ago, jelida said: Just soak it in acetone, won’t do any harm. Jerry Thanks Jerry Quote
The Bee Posted August 22, 2025 Posted August 22, 2025 1900 Penny Dates There just seem to be two widths for 1900. Wondered if anyone has found any wider than 11 teeth or narrower than 10.5 teeth ? I only have examples of those two and and minor variations on the position of the 9 e.g. the base of the 9 aligned with the base of the 1 1 Quote
DaveG38 Posted August 23, 2025 Posted August 23, 2025 There are 9 established varieties of the 1900 penny, all based around the date numbers. Quote
The Bee Posted August 24, 2025 Posted August 24, 2025 Many thanks Dave, I can see in David Groom's book (Identification of British C20th Bronze Coin Varieties)there are 8 minor varieties of 1900 listed. Glad to hear that an additional minor variety has been recorded. I wonder is there any source with pictures of the 9 or whether anyone has collected all 9 ? Best Regards 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted August 24, 2025 Posted August 24, 2025 8 hours ago, The Bee said: Many thanks Dave, I can see in David Groom's book (Identification of British C20th Bronze Coin Varieties)there are 8 minor varieties of 1900 listed. Glad to hear that an additional minor variety has been recorded. I wonder is there any source with pictures of the 9 or whether anyone has collected all 9 ? Best Regards @DaveG38 *is* David Groom! 2 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 26, 2025 Posted August 26, 2025 On 8/21/2025 at 1:31 PM, dmw2602 said: Thanks Jerry Worked a treat, thanks again Jerry. I've been looking for one with this die crack for while now. https://imgur.com/a/oFZbQKl 1 Quote
martinross44 Posted August 27, 2025 Posted August 27, 2025 (edited) New to me 1875 8G, freeman 79 https://imgur.com/a/AN8FSpQ Edited August 27, 2025 by martinross44 Including photos 3 Quote
dmw2602 Posted August 29, 2025 Posted August 29, 2025 An upgrade to my 1866, is the missing colon common for that period? Think I can make something out, so guessing it's a filled die. https://imgur.com/a/2XnClJ4 Quote
secret santa Posted August 29, 2025 Posted August 29, 2025 It happens from time to time - no particular date. 1 Quote
dmw2602 Posted September 2, 2025 Posted September 2, 2025 Hi, Is this the BP1886Ag? Not sure how much of a line would need to be on there but it looks similar to the picture in the BBP? Many thanks https://imgur.com/a/i5B2Kj0 Quote
martinross44 Posted September 8, 2025 Posted September 8, 2025 Here was me, quite happily following Mr Freeman's research and I accidently stumble down a Gouby rabbit hole with date widths of 1870 pennies. I have one (https://www.ngccoin.uk/certlookup/8464303-003/58/) with a 12 tooth date width, and another (much poorer condition) with a 13 tooth date width. I believe the 11 tooth is the "normal", the 11.5 tooth is very scarce(?) But what of the 12 and 13 tooth? Any additional value for these? 2 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 I up graded my original coin with this rather nice Dot 1909 I found recently 😊 6 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 Funny thing I just now posted this with the two pictures and it refused them , so I cut both the pics and then posted the words only and low and behold the pictures appeared on my screen . Can all of you see the pictures as well ?????? Terry Quote
Paddy Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 Yes - I can see them. Odder and odder! Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 1 minute ago, Paddy said: Yes - I can see them. Odder and odder! Great We can post Pictures again 😃 1 Quote
Paddy Posted September 11, 2025 Posted September 11, 2025 I'll try it with this 1927 penny upgrade picked up the other day - nothing special and a pity about the spots, but still an upgrade on the incumbent. 4 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.