Paddy Posted November 21, 2020 Posted November 21, 2020 Probably as a he "cancelled all bids" before ending the item. Maybe the earlier cancellation of the high bid was after the bidder requested a cancellation after realising it was a dud, and that triggered (eventually) his ending of the item. 3 Quote
Martinminerva Posted November 21, 2020 Posted November 21, 2020 Good shout, Paddy - I bet that's exactly it! Wonder if the original high bidder got cold feet as a result of the forum or Richard's website? I see the new listing has now got a bid... which removes the offer option, but I will keep watching to see what it finally makes. I still wouldn't be surprised if it goes for silly money "just in case", in the mind of an ignorant punter! Quote
alfnail Posted November 21, 2020 Posted November 21, 2020 He has relisted it, currently with an opening bid of £1, and no mention of die 3 1 Quote
copper123 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 20 hours ago, alfnail said: He has relisted it, currently with an opening bid of £1, and no mention of die 3 Well it was never there in the first place LOL 1 Quote
Iannich48 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 Well, it is up to £17.00 at the moment. Still way more than it is worth. Somebody must like it alot. 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 53 minutes ago, Iannich48 said: Well, it is up to £17.00 at the moment. Still way more than it is worth. Somebody must like it alot. The irony being that in that condition...what, GVF, maybe NEF? it would be by far the best known if it were really a die No 3 under date, and worth probably about £6k, I'd say. On a different note you have to be lightning quick off the mark these days to get what you want. Dave Craddock's new list was e mailed out on Wednesday evening, but I never noticed it until Friday evening. There were two coins on it that I was seriously interested in. But when I rang Dave on Saturday morning, they'd both already gone. An object lesson in keeping a very close eye on your e mails. Quote
Bernie Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 5 hours ago, 1949threepence said: The irony being that in that condition...what, GVF, maybe NEF? it would be by far the best known if it were really a die No 3 under date, and worth probably about £6k, I'd say. On a different note you have to be lightning quick off the mark these days to get what you want. Dave Craddock's new list was e mailed out on Wednesday evening, but I never noticed it until Friday evening. There were two coins on it that I was seriously interested in. But when I rang Dave on Saturday morning, they'd both already gone. An object lesson in keeping a very close eye on your e mails. I rang within minutes of receiving his list. Already sold ! I bet his phone was ringing off the hook all evening ! 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 2 minutes ago, Bernie said: I rang within minutes of receiving his list. Already sold ! I bet his phone was ringing off the hook all evening ! The ones I wanted (although I was about to cash in my £2k's worth of premium bonds to get them) were the 1856 OT in A UNC/GEF, and the 1897 F148 high tide UNC with 70% lustre. 1 Quote
mick1271 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 just showed up on a FB page .looks right , but whats peoples thoughts ? 2 Quote
1949threepence Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 11 minutes ago, mick1271 said: just showed up on a FB page .looks right , but whats peoples thoughts ? Looks distinctly like a F192A, 1922, reverse of 1927. 2 Quote
RLC35 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: Looks distinctly like a F192A, 1922, reverse of 1927. I just compared it to my example, and I agree, it is a F192A. 2 Quote
mick1271 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 (edited) 9 minutes ago, RLC35 said: I just compared it to my example, and I agree, it is a F192A. Nice little windfall for the owner .Handed down by a relative and didn't have any idea of its value .Some of the coins had notes with them , so her relative did know what it was . Edited November 22, 2020 by mick1271 Quote
oldcopper Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 2 hours ago, 1949threepence said: The ones I wanted (although I was about to cash in my £2k's worth of premium bonds to get them) were the 1856 OT in A UNC/GEF, and the 1897 F148 high tide UNC with 70% lustre. Did anyone see the 1698 DIE farthing (GVF with some lustre) that CooperCoins had a photo of in the latest Coin News - it was £765. I phoned them up (hadn't even heard of them before) straight away - too late. I hate it when that happens! - There was a lot of interest unsurprisingly. Quote
Martinminerva Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 (edited) Whoops! Deleted, but see next post... Edited November 22, 2020 by Martinminerva Forgot to quote! Quote
Martinminerva Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 18 minutes ago, RLC35 said: 24 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: Looks distinctly like a F192A, 1922, reverse of 1927. I just compared it to my example, and I agree, it is a F192A. 100% agree too. As I've said before, they're still out there if one keeps eyes peeled! What's she going to do with it? Put it in a main auction house sale? What sort of money do they make nowadays? Quote
1949threepence Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 16 minutes ago, Martinminerva said: 100% agree too. As I've said before, they're still out there if one keeps eyes peeled! What's she going to do with it? Put it in a main auction house sale? What sort of money do they make nowadays? Consistently over £3k. Shame about the verd as otherwise not in bad shape. Be good to see the obverse. Quote
mick1271 Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 1 hour ago, 1949threepence said: Consistently over £3k. Shame about the verd as otherwise not in bad shape. Be good to see the obverse. The obverse was quite good with no verd . cant find the post (FB is a pain nowadays ) ,If I come across it , I will post the obverse up. 1 Quote
mrbadexample Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 2 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Consistently over £3k. Shame about the verd as otherwise not in bad shape. Be good to see the obverse. I don't see any verdigris. That looks like it would wash off to me. There was a F164a with it which would have been a pleasing find on its own. Quote
secret santa Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 Could someone post the reverse please as I can't get to the Facebook page. Quote
mrbadexample Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 8 minutes ago, secret santa said: Could someone post the reverse please as I can't get to the Facebook page. Scroll up Richard. Quote
1949threepence Posted November 22, 2020 Posted November 22, 2020 8 minutes ago, secret santa said: Could someone post the reverse please as I can't get to the Facebook page. Scroll up the thread, Richard. It's further up. Posted by @mick1271 Quote
secret santa Posted November 23, 2020 Posted November 23, 2020 9 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Scroll up the thread, Richard. It's further up. Thanks Mick. Due to my lousy broadband, that picture wasn't showing yesterday evening. Today it's fine. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted November 23, 2020 Posted November 23, 2020 (edited) I'm adding it to my rare penny site - can someone tell me about its provenance, e.g. was it advertised/sold on Facebook ? Don't worry, I've just seen the Facebook entry. Edited November 23, 2020 by secret santa addition Quote
Iannich48 Posted November 23, 2020 Posted November 23, 2020 16 hours ago, 1949threepence said: The ones I wanted (although I was about to cash in my £2k's worth of premium bonds to get them) were the 1856 OT in A UNC/GEF, and the 1897 F148 high tide UNC with 70% lustre. I would like an 1897 F148 as well, in a decent grade. I do have an 1856 OT, though not for sale. So I have signed up for the newsletter now. Thanks for mentioning it. Quote
blakeyboy Posted November 23, 2020 Posted November 23, 2020 I must sign up too....sounds like there are some good coins on his lists...I couldn't find anything on line. Was the F148 expensive? Pricing this type of rarity must be very difficult.... Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.