oldcopper Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said: The only battle ship one I can think of on a penny was the mono faced Edward viii Reverse . Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of - great design! Quote
secret santa Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 Is this referenced anywhere, Terry ? Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 This is the Royal Mint's Example Richard RMM 52 , below is the blank side and the Rubber Pattern RMM 74. Also I noticed that your example 8 on the Rare coins is the Example held by the Royal Collection Trust . Terry Quote
blakeyboy Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 Edward VIII was often called 'Mono Face'... Quote
oldcopper Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 16 hours ago, secret santa said: Is this referenced anywhere, Terry ? It's in Freeman's book as well, but the photo is not good, you can hardly see the ship. Quote
secret santa Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 11 minutes ago, oldcopper said: It's in Freeman's book as well, but the photo is not good, you can hardly see the ship. Ah yes, F789 - thanks guys. Quote
secret santa Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 16 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said: Also I noticed that your example 8 on the Rare coins is the Example held by the Royal Collection Trust . Terry Where did you find this information, Terry ? Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 1 hour ago, secret santa said: Where did you find this information, Terry ? Link below Richard. https://www.rct.uk/collection/443672/edward-viii-pattern-penny 1 Quote
secret santa Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 Thanks Terry, that's an interesting site. I've discovered that it holds a 3rd specimen of the QEII pattern penny (122 beads) stating that it was struck on 17 September 1952, backing up the Royal Mint's comments to me when I had my example authenticated. 1 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 I hadn't read that Richard . Interesting Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 7 hours ago, secret santa said: Thanks Terry, that's an interesting site. I've discovered that it holds a 3rd specimen of the QEII pattern penny (122 beads) stating that it was struck on 17 September 1952, backing up the Royal Mint's comments to me when I had my example authenticated. I found that through a search for '1953 penny' and it was the first item. But no mention that there were two earlier patterns - where did you get that information from? Quote
secret santa Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 38 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said: But no mention that there were two earlier patterns - where did you get that information from? 2 earlier versions of the same pattern - I counted the teeth (122 and both A's point to gaps) on the Royal Collection specimen and it was a 3rd specimen. More details on my rare penny website. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 10, 2020 Posted February 10, 2020 On 2/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, secret santa said: 2 earlier versions of the same pattern - I counted the teeth (122 and both A's point to gaps) on the Royal Collection specimen and it was a 3rd specimen. More details on my rare penny website. Ah, got you - the 3rd example. Quote
1949threepence Posted March 7, 2020 Posted March 7, 2020 Rather pleased to have obtained a 1918H penny with a fully struck up breastplate and reasonable hair detail. It's very difficult to find specimens with a good strike to both obverse and reverse. This one is otherwise only about EF, with a tiny trace of lustre in the legend, but it's the rest of it which appealed to me. My previous one was not as good, and has been consigned to the oddments drawer. 5 Quote
VickySilver Posted March 8, 2020 Posted March 8, 2020 Very nice, pleasant “H”s of both 1918 and 1919 are always welcomed! I had a devil of a time finding specimens with good colour, and obverse and reverse truly struck up. 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 Anybody here get lot 103, the 1877 narrow date penny at today's DNW auction? It went for £5,500. Didn't expect it to make that much. Quote
secret santa Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 I see that the 2 D2 coins went for £1800 - it's probably the first time that this variety has come to market in recognisable form even though they weren't catalogued as such. It will be interesting to see what they sell on for, assuming they were bought for that reason. This sale values them at around £7-900 each. Quote
jelida Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 2 hours ago, secret santa said: I see that the 2 D2 coins went for £1800 - it's probably the first time that this variety has come to market in recognisable form even though they weren't catalogued as such. It will be interesting to see what they sell on for, assuming they were bought for that reason. This sale values them at around £7-900 each. I’m afraid I got those, Richard, I will keep at least one of them. One does not appear to have the die crack on the portrait and I suppose could be an earlier strike from a known die ; the second has a long die crack on the portrait which is in a different position from the others shown on your site so at least three D2 obverse dies. Both have the ‘nipple’ colons. There is also a nice ‘triple F’ ( a well lustred one went in the last DNW for nearly a grand, but usually just £2-300) and a lovely doubled N in penny, and other little repairs of interest. I was underbidder for the V over A and lot 372 with the good F24 and F5 heavy flan and nice F1 amongst others, I was sad to have to give up there (though both my F24’s are better). I won 368 with the N over Z, F1 and a couple of nice letter repairs and more importantly what I think is an F13 ‘ N over upside down N’ in Penny, with a serif bottom right and slightly wedged diagonal as in my F33. There is a die flaw in the vicinity, we’ll see how it looks under the microscope but I am pretty convinced. It would not be a surprising error as I’ve said before. Jerry 2 Quote
blakeyboy Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 Today I got a 1911 hollow neck in F for £15. I'm really pleased. 3 Quote
RLC35 Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 4 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Anybody here get lot 103, the 1877 narrow date penny at today's DNW auction? It went for £5,500. Didn't expect it to make that much. I don't know who won it, but if I was a betting man, I would think it went to Cardiff, to the guy who has the other three (3)! 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 Just now, RLC35 said: I don't know who won it, but if I was a betting man, I would think it went to Cardiff, to the guy who has the other three (3)! It's interesting Bob. Hiram had the two F90's in his collection, the first of which went on 12th February, also at a DNW auction, for less than half the price of the latest one. The first one did have a bit of a ding from obverse to reverse, but otherwise wasn't too bad. At any rate, I wouldn't have thought it was worth just half of today's offering, which is sub fine, but issue free. £5,500 hammer, and off the top of my head calculation wise, a bit over £7k with the premium. Quote
Iannich48 Posted March 10, 2020 Posted March 10, 2020 6 hours ago, jelida said: I’m afraid I got those, Richard, I will keep at least one of them. One does not appear to have the die crack on the portrait and I suppose could be an earlier strike from a known die ; the second has a long die crack on the portrait which is in a different position from the others shown on your site so at least three D2 obverse dies. Both have the ‘nipple’ colons. There is also a nice ‘triple F’ ( a well lustred one went in the last DNW for nearly a grand, but usually just £2-300) and a lovely doubled N in penny, and other little repairs of interest. I was underbidder for the V over A and lot 372 with the good F24 and F5 heavy flan and nice F1 amongst others, I was sad to have to give up there (though both my F24’s are better). I won 368 with the N over Z, F1 and a couple of nice letter repairs and more importantly what I think is an F13 ‘ N over upside down N’ in Penny, with a serif bottom right and slightly wedged diagonal as in my F33. There is a die flaw in the vicinity, we’ll see how it looks under the microscope but I am pretty convinced. It would not be a surprising error as I’ve said before. Jerry That was an excellent lot with the D2's Jerry. Was hoping to get one of those, but well done to you. Ian 1 Quote
secret santa Posted March 11, 2020 Posted March 11, 2020 15 hours ago, jelida said: though both my F24’s are better Jerry, I don't think I've got your normal F24 on my rare website ? Quote
jelida Posted March 11, 2020 Posted March 11, 2020 57 minutes ago, secret santa said: Jerry, I don't think I've got your normal F24 on my rare website ? Yes it is there, it’s the dark toned EF plus ex Bamford specimen. Jerry Quote
secret santa Posted March 11, 2020 Posted March 11, 2020 Ah, I hadn't recorded that anywhere - Thanks Jerry. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.