will1976 Posted November 24, 2019 Posted November 24, 2019 1 minute ago, Paulus said: Just 7 Kempson's Birmingham Buildings to go! Well done! I did have a bid on it but was nowhere near, wrong time of the month for me. It's one from the DNW sale 3rd of Oct, I'm keeping an eye out for some of the others in that group Quote
Paulus Posted November 24, 2019 Posted November 24, 2019 9 minutes ago, will1976 said: Well done! I did have a bid on it but was nowhere near, wrong time of the month for me. It's one from the DNW sale 3rd of Oct, I'm keeping an eye out for some of the others in that group Thanks Will, I know there are some we are both still after! Quote
will1976 Posted November 24, 2019 Posted November 24, 2019 1 minute ago, Paulus said: there are some we are both still after! We'll get there..........eventually! Quote
Paulus Posted November 24, 2019 Posted November 24, 2019 On 11/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, Paulus said: My first what I would call 'passable' George I farthing @PeterI would value your opinion? 2 Quote
copper123 Posted November 25, 2019 Posted November 25, 2019 George i farthings are dificult in nice grades Quote
bagerap Posted November 25, 2019 Posted November 25, 2019 (edited) I also have one of these George IV tokens. Thought they were listed in BHM, but wrong. The ones described above as not being Ingram usually have a stop after BRITAIN. Edited November 25, 2019 by bagerap Spelling Quote
will1976 Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 A new farthing token arrived today, I would welcome thoughts/ideas on the portrait (right facing for Victoria) and if members agree with me that it's the same die used as the unofficial farthing of G.Browne. Also thoughts on the reverse, is it St Andrew? Thank you all Quote
will1976 Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 And the picture to compare portraits..... 2 Quote
Paddy Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 The portraits certainly look very similar - maybe a slight difference at the base of the bust? That may be to do with the removal or addition of the Pinches logo. Reverse definitely looks to be St Andrew - the X shaped cross along with the thistles in the wreathes look conclusive. Nice token! Quote
Paulus Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 It is St. Andrew, as per the D&H description on my Edinburgh token here Obverse: St. Andrew with his cross between thistles. Quote
will1976 Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 8 minutes ago, Paddy said: The portraits certainly look very similar Yes that was my thought too, the curls at the back of Victoria's hair are slightly different too but I think that's because the pinches piece isn't fully struck up 7 minutes ago, Paulus said: Obverse: St. Andrew with his cross between thistles. Thank you Paul 👍🏻 Quote
JLS Posted November 26, 2019 Posted November 26, 2019 6 hours ago, will1976 said: And the picture to compare portraits..... Interesting piece. I wonder if it was produced as a "general" Scottish token analogous to the anonymous Glasgow issue (W7450). Don't have an example of this myself. Quote
will1976 Posted November 27, 2019 Posted November 27, 2019 On 11/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, JLS said: I wonder if it was produced as a "general" Scottish token Yes it could well of been, strange how there's no legends at all though. The nearest to the reverse I can find is Caverhill W7070, obviously different though 1 hour ago, copper123 said: Love the portrait It is yes, just seems odd with Victoria facing the wrong way! Quote
Rob Posted November 27, 2019 Posted November 27, 2019 44 minutes ago, will1976 said: Yes it could well of been, strange how there's no legends at all though. The nearest to the reverse I can find is Caverhill W7070, obviously different though It is yes, just seems odd with Victoria facing the wrong way! Despite the obvious assumption people would make; with no legend, there is nothing to indicate it portrays Victoria on the obverse. The reverse could just as easily be part of a campaign to ban men in cloaks. St. Andrew's Day commemorative medallion, issued in association with a religious get together? There is a large number of tokens/medallions extant whose raison d'etre is a complete mystery to all bar a few. This would easily fit into that category in the absence of any documentation. 1 Quote
will1976 Posted November 28, 2019 Posted November 28, 2019 8 hours ago, Rob said: This would easily fit into that category in the absence of any documentation That's the trouble, can't find anything on it! Will put it in the 'unusual' section of my collection 1 Quote
will1976 Posted December 25, 2019 Posted December 25, 2019 Suffolk D&H15....excellent condition bought simply for the design, just love the hat. 3 Quote
Paulus Posted December 25, 2019 Posted December 25, 2019 Yes these are great, I have one - also love the Tudor garb! 3 Quote
Zo Arms Posted January 4, 2020 Posted January 4, 2020 Thought I'd share this token with you. Won on eBay just before Christmas. Just arrived. Very pleased with the detail on the emu. Circa 1860 I think. And quite scarce? 5 Quote
ozjohn Posted January 4, 2020 Posted January 4, 2020 (edited) In many Australian country towns the original business name is still on the building. I do not know if the Rockhampton (Rockie) building still exists but it would be interesting to find out. I doubt if the Brisbane building still exists as there has been much redevelopment over time. This may help. According to tis link the business still exists. https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2474 Edited January 4, 2020 by ozjohn 1 Quote
mrbadexample Posted January 4, 2020 Posted January 4, 2020 This is from Andrews' Australasian Tokens & Coins, but no indication as to rarity that I can see. I've got a couple of the Annand Smith & Co. tokens as they were one of Heaton's first issues. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.