Rob Posted December 8, 2018 Posted December 8, 2018 Large numbers of tokens were struck in seemingly small quantities, but given many didn't circulate, relative to the number of collectors they remain only scarce. It's the old supply and demand thing. These days, the only important thing is availability and grade from statistics taken in the past few decades. Anything earlier cannot be corroborated with an alternative contemporary study. Some things will always fight above their weight, whilst others will be unloved irrespective of rarity. 2 Quote
Nicholas Posted January 2, 2019 Posted January 2, 2019 (edited) Ok Im back - here’s a recent copper Ive acquired...Denton’s Swan Penny from Gahlin Collection (ex Dudman collection 1901) and 24 grams! sorry about the image framing😬 Edited January 2, 2019 by Nicholas 1 Quote
Nicholas Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 (edited) William III as Jupiter and James II as Phaeton - the Glorious Revolution Is this the first copper penny sized English coin? (OK it’s a medal..Eimer 312a) Edited January 5, 2019 by Nicholas 1 Quote
Rob Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 (edited) 52 minutes ago, Nicholas said: William III as Jupiter and James II as Phaeton - the Glorious Revolution Is this the first copper penny sized English coin? (OK it’s a medal..Eimer 312a) No, you have answered your own question. The first copper penny sized coin was the first copper penny. Other diameters are available and have been/are/will be used for both medals and coins. Any apparent links are entirely coincidental. Nice medal though. Edited January 5, 2019 by Rob Quote
Nicholas Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 (edited) 9 minutes ago, Rob said: No, you have answered your own question. The first copper penny sized coin was the first copper penny. Other diameters are available and have been/are/will be used for both medals and coins. Any apparent links are entirely coincidental. Nice medal though. Thanks Rob - so what year was the first large copper penny issued? Edited January 5, 2019 by Nicholas Quote
Paulus Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 2 hours ago, Nicholas said: Thanks Rob - so what year was the first large copper penny issued? 1797? (the cartwheel) Quote
Nicholas Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 1 hour ago, Paulus said: 1797? (the cartwheel) Yes I thought so too - when Boulton and Watts got busy.. Quote
Paddy Posted January 5, 2019 Posted January 5, 2019 I picked up this rather nice medallion amongst some coins recently. Measures 50mm across and is Copper, whereas all the other examples I can find on the net are 32mm and pewter. This one is engraved to Francis Hamilton Mellor, Recorder of Preston on the edge - he seems to have been a bit of a celebrity in his day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mellor Quote
Paulus Posted January 23, 2019 Posted January 23, 2019 A few newbies worthy of sharing (hopefully!) This lovely Warwickshire County Conder Halfpenny Token is ex Richard Dalton (of Dalton and Hamer fame). It's an effigy of the upstart crow (Shakespeare) on the obv. 2 Quote
Paulus Posted January 23, 2019 Posted January 23, 2019 Next up, the latest addition to my Kempson's Birmingham Buildings Conder Halfpenny mini collection (I now have 16 out of the 27) This one also has some nice provenance, being ex Sven Gahlin collection 2 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted March 12, 2019 Posted March 12, 2019 (edited) I have just googled and read about Exeter change Will and found it interesting ,i didnt know that we even had an elephant over here that long ago .Not just about the time years ago but how the building has changed etc to todays new building on The Strand. I had never thought about these tokens before ☺️ Do you know an approximate year of the token ? Edited March 12, 2019 by PWA 1967 Quote
will1976 Posted March 12, 2019 Posted March 12, 2019 3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said: Do you know an approximate date of the token ? The earliest dated one is 1795 with the latest 1801. This is the only half penny example I have at the moment but some are dated 1795, 1796 and 1801 . The rarest of the lot seems to be the tiger, I've never seen an example let alone been able to buy one. A couple of the farthing tokens from the same series I have have the date of 1801 on them and this seems to be the end of the series 1 Quote
Paulus Posted March 12, 2019 Posted March 12, 2019 (edited) I only have the 1 Pidcock's example at the moment, this one's a farthing, with an elephant and cockatoo. Undated but late 1790s, as Will says The other animals in the Pidcock's farthing token series are catalogued in Dalton & Hamer as lion, two-headed cow, pelican, beaver and wanderow (a type of monkey) The Pidcock's halfpenny token series also depict zebra, crane, tiger, rhino, eagle, nylghau (a type of Indian antelope), kangaroo, toucan and ostrich - I can only imagine that all these creatures were on view at the exhibition! There is evidence that Claudius had a 'war' elephant in England in Roman times, and that Henry III had a menagerie in the Tower of London, which included an elephant given by Louis IX of France in 1255. I continue to find these 'Conder' tokens fascinating pieces of our history! Edited March 12, 2019 by Paulus 2 Quote
will1976 Posted March 12, 2019 Posted March 12, 2019 Is that a partial brockage or die clash beneath the cockatoo @Paulus there was one that sold on the bay a few weeks back with a similar impression but a little more pronounced, the same design I think Quote
Nicholas Posted March 24, 2019 Posted March 24, 2019 (edited) DNW last month can’t use photo bucket sorry Edited March 24, 2019 by Nicholas 2 Quote
will1976 Posted April 3, 2019 Posted April 3, 2019 My latest Pidcock ½ pence, D&H457 which arrived this morning. Opinions on grade welcome, I'm thinking around a good very fine? 4 Quote
will1976 Posted April 23, 2019 Posted April 23, 2019 This was one of my purchases yesterday from my regular outings to the Malvern flea fair.... Antwerp coin/trade weight, 15x15mm weight of 3gm. I believe it dates from 1597 but I'm still checking up on that and the makers initials 2 Quote
copper123 Posted April 23, 2019 Posted April 23, 2019 On 4/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, will1976 said: My latest Pidcock ½ pence, D&H457 which arrived this morning. Opinions on grade welcome, I'm thinking around a good very fine? pretty sure a EF Very nice 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted April 23, 2019 Posted April 23, 2019 1 hour ago, copper123 said: pretty sure a EF Very nice Respectfully .. too much wear for EF. GVF seems nearer the mark. 1 Quote
Diaconis Posted April 24, 2019 Posted April 24, 2019 11 hours ago, will1976 said: This was one of my purchases yesterday from my regular outings to the Malvern flea fair.... Antwerp coin/trade weight, 15x15mm weight of 3gm. I believe it dates from 1597 but I'm still checking up on that and the makers initials There are so many of these who’s makers are unknown but I believe this is Hans Fonck 1577-1603. 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.