Peckris 2 Posted September 17, 2018 Posted September 17, 2018 9 hours ago, ozjohn said: Interesting fake. If it is genuine it is a poorly minted example with the LH edge of the reverse missing. It's a bit hard to see if there is a mint mark. A 1917RM sovereign commands a high price which makes this coin a target for forgers. It's 1911 !! Quote
Nick Posted September 17, 2018 Posted September 17, 2018 On 9/16/2018 at 11:50 AM, Peter said: Some little schite hacked my paypal account at the beginning of this year and helped themselves to a camera £224.99.They also tried other transactions by this time cards and passwords were changed. I have/had the address where the camera was sent...a trip to London and smashing their windows doesn't entertain me. I cannot contact paypal due to their robots GRR. I need to speak to a person. Any ideas Gents/Ladies Report it via Action Fraud. Quote
Unwilling Numismatist Posted September 17, 2018 Posted September 17, 2018 36 minutes ago, Nick said: Report it via Action Fraud. I would too, this might actually get their attention then. Quote
ozjohn Posted September 17, 2018 Posted September 17, 2018 Sorry my mistake. 11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said: It's 1911 !! Quote
mick1271 Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 Grab a bargain lol https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-VI-Silver-Shilling-1550-3-Rare/132774075191?hash=item1ee9f39b37:g:b5kAAOSwpZlbhrrw Quote
Ukstu Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 8 minutes ago, mick1271 said: Grab a bargain lol https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-VI-Silver-Shilling-1550-3-Rare/132774075191?hash=item1ee9f39b37:g:b5kAAOSwpZlbhrrw Ooomf. Deary me. What a wreck. Looks like a Lizzie halfgroat also. Quote
1949threepence Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 On 9/16/2018 at 11:50 AM, Peter said: Some little schite hacked my paypal account at the beginning of this year and helped themselves to a camera £224.99.They also tried other transactions by this time cards and passwords were changed. I have/had the address where the camera was sent...a trip to London and smashing their windows doesn't entertain me. I cannot contact paypal due to their robots GRR. I need to speak to a person. Any ideas Gents/Ladies You've noticed....... I did eventually get to speak to a real person, with normal conversational reactions, a normal name and a normal UK accent that I could understand. But it took a lot of time and patience. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 2 hours ago, mick1271 said: Grab a bargain lol https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-VI-Silver-Shilling-1550-3-Rare/132774075191?hash=item1ee9f39b37:g:b5kAAOSwpZlbhrrw It's like the TARDIS in reverse. Quote
Michael-Roo Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 2 hours ago, Ukstu said: Ooomf. Deary me. What a wreck. Looks like a Lizzie halfgroat also. It does indeed. However, good condition, and retailing at £1000. What a missed opportunity! From the same seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elizabeth-II-Halfpenny-1982/132762510767?hash=item1ee94325af:g:M4EAAOSwq4lbCEy9 1 Quote
Michael-Roo Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 The1933 penny, 'Son, sell only when times are hard' etc. etc. On it goes…. Quote
Rob Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 This bloke is a pain in the a**e. Not the only dodgy thing he has listed, but with a vested interest in this item, can someone get this thing taken down? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Charles-1st-Silver-Hammered-Shilling-Coin-c-1625-49-AD/263938819682?hash=item3d73fac662:g:Tz8AAOSwhbJbKNls Known to be plenty of copies circulating and I have the original. For those who aren't familiar with this one, I wrote an article in the May 2011 issue of the Circular. Genuine and copy pictured below. The distinctively double struck features make this readily identifiable. The copies are obviously cast with pitting and have a defining nick on the edge by the A of MAG where the two sides making the complete coin have been joined. The flan on the real thing is wavy at this point, so the options available were to make it thicker and fully join the two sides, or make it normal thickness with the flan laminating at the joint where the metal is too thin or missing. Flans profiles have been modified on occasion in an attempt to hide the evidence. Other irregularities also occur. The copies don't ring correctly. Weights for the copies were in the range 4.30 - 5.37g. My coin was purchased in November 2004, so the copies predate this. An easy one to keep an eye open for. Quote
Coinery Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 6 hours ago, Rob said: This bloke is a pain in the a**e. Not the only dodgy thing he has listed, but with a vested interest in this item, can someone get this thing taken down? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Charles-1st-Silver-Hammered-Shilling-Coin-c-1625-49-AD/263938819682?hash=item3d73fac662:g:Tz8AAOSwhbJbKNls Known to be plenty of copies circulating and I have the original. For those who aren't familiar with this one, I wrote an article in the May 2011 issue of the Circular. Genuine and copy pictured below. The distinctively double struck features make this readily identifiable. The copies are obviously cast with pitting and have a defining nick on the edge by the A of MAG where the two sides making the complete coin have been joined. The flan on the real thing is wavy at this point, so the options available were to make it thicker and fully join the two sides, or make it normal thickness with the flan laminating at the joint where the metal is too thin or missing. Flans profiles have been modified on occasion in an attempt to hide the evidence. Other irregularities also occur. The copies don't ring correctly. Weights for the copies were in the range 4.30 - 5.37g. My coin was purchased in November 2004, so the copies predate this. An easy one to keep an eye open for. Definitely one of the better copies out there. Quite nice to have the original coin. I stupidly missed out on an opportunity to own the original Elizabeth groat that we often see with the distinctive flawed crown. Quote
Rob Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 I know where the original Ed.1 class 9 1d is too. The guy bought it in 2004-5, so all these copies were probably made in the period 200-2004 as none appeared prior to 2004. Quote
Ukstu Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 12 hours ago, Rob said: This bloke is a pain in the a**e. Not the only dodgy thing he has listed, but with a vested interest in this item, can someone get this thing taken down? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Charles-1st-Silver-Hammered-Shilling-Coin-c-1625-49-AD/263938819682?hash=item3d73fac662:g:Tz8AAOSwhbJbKNls Known to be plenty of copies circulating and I have the original. For those who aren't familiar with this one, I wrote an article in the May 2011 issue of the Circular. Genuine and copy pictured below. The distinctively double struck features make this readily identifiable. The copies are obviously cast with pitting and have a defining nick on the edge by the A of MAG where the two sides making the complete coin have been joined. The flan on the real thing is wavy at this point, so the options available were to make it thicker and fully join the two sides, or make it normal thickness with the flan laminating at the joint where the metal is too thin or missing. Flans profiles have been modified on occasion in an attempt to hide the evidence. Other irregularities also occur. The copies don't ring correctly. Weights for the copies were in the range 4.30 - 5.37g. My coin was purchased in November 2004, so the copies predate this. An easy one to keep an eye open for. I reported that the day it came on eBay. They will do bugger all as they earn a fortune from their crooked sales. Here's another one flogging the same bluish toned rubbish. I wonder if they are all connected to the same person. That one me and jerry reported to trading standards is selling the same stuff. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/handsofhistory/m.html?item=332808006169&redirect=mobile&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 Quote
Coinery Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 11 hours ago, Rob said: I know where the original Ed.1 class 9 1d is too. The guy bought it in 2004-5, so all these copies were probably made in the period 200-2004 as none appeared prior to 2004. Don’t suppose you’ve got an image handy of the original have you? Quote
mrbadexample Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 18 hours ago, Rob said: This bloke is a pain in the a**e. Not the only dodgy thing he has listed, but with a vested interest in this item, can someone get this thing taken down? I've reported it. I don't suppose it'll help but if enough of us report it then it might get taken down and he'll have to relist it next week instead. Quote
Rob Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 1 hour ago, Coinery said: Don’t suppose you’ve got an image handy of the original have you? No I don't, but could ask as it's one of our club members. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted September 19, 2018 Posted September 19, 2018 23 hours ago, Michael-Roo said: From the same seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elizabeth-II-Halfpenny-1982/132762510767?hash=item1ee94325af:g:M4EAAOSwq4lbCEy9 Think of a number... Quote
Unwilling Numismatist Posted September 20, 2018 Posted September 20, 2018 Thats not bad for a "rare" 1/2p . 1 of only 190,000,000. 1 Quote
Coinery Posted September 20, 2018 Posted September 20, 2018 9 hours ago, Rob said: No I don't, but could ask as it's one of our club members. Thanks, Rob, it would be an interesting coin to view Quote
Coin#addict Posted September 23, 2018 Posted September 23, 2018 Here is one sneaking its way through auction just now. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-George-1720-silver-coin/192659777648 Quote
Paddy Posted September 23, 2018 Posted September 23, 2018 This beggars belief - and it seems some mugs are buying them! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winston-Churchill-Coin-Crown-WWII-WWI-Hitler-Nazi-Germany-Medal-Silver-London-UK/401589041208?hash=item5d80927838:g:Fz0AAOSwaSZaNvRG I sell them at 50p each - anyone interested? 🙂 Quote
Unwilling Numismatist Posted September 23, 2018 Posted September 23, 2018 10 sold at 12.99 .... I feel a new marketing strategy is needed on my part! 1 Quote
bagerap Posted September 23, 2018 Posted September 23, 2018 How can I break this gently? He's sold ten from this latest batch. I've been seeing this same listing for longer than I care to remember. He's certainly ticking all the buttons with his SEO. Quote
Rob Posted September 23, 2018 Posted September 23, 2018 1 hour ago, bagerap said: How can I break this gently? He's sold ten from this latest batch. I've been seeing this same listing for longer than I care to remember. He's certainly ticking all the buttons with his SEO. Why would a search engine particularly like this listing, or do they keep up with the times giving bonus points for illiteracy? SEO is a complete and utter mystery to me. You put in key words, but still get demoted when searched by some completely unrelated topic. Maybe I should include some porn references and bump myself up the ratings. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.