Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

HistoricCoinage

Coin Dealer
  • Posts

    1,771
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

Everything posted by HistoricCoinage

  1. An interesting example! My thought is it's a continuation from the engraving of the die and not a deliberate element of the design, the portrait is definitely Edward III. I've seen similar ones before, e.g. the below.
  2. This was originally £1,999 when I posted, so looks like the decimal point has been corrected now.
  3. Quality collection. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Detecting-Rare-Old-Collection-DAMAGED-7x-coins/113802988607?hash=item1a7f2fcc3f:g:RJcAAOSwED1dEofe
  4. Enjoy the description on this beauty. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anglo-Saxon-Silver-Coin/223492329770?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D57478%26meid%3Dffbbf304db1e444980f83cbdef708e53%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D163663592092%26itm%3D223492329770&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
  5. True. Maybe it's the light and metal that makes it look porous then.
  6. Looking for coins and...? 😥 One way to clean them.
  7. It looks to be an imitation of a Henry VII halfgroat (depending on diameter). I'd not think it's contemporary, it looks somewhat soapy which makes me think it's been cast and deliberately 'aged' as I see this a lot with the Westair pieces people modify before listing on online auction sites.
  8. Agreed. Likely a Pinecone-Mascle issue penny (most common after Annulet issue, I believe, and yours isn't an Annulet).
  9. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-LOT-OF-CUT-OFFA-EADVVEARD-SILVER-PENNIES/282967930167?hash=item41e233f537:g:FQsAAOSwgKBawVa5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-WULFRED-CUT-SILVER-PENNY-ARCHBISHOPS-OF-CANTERBURY-805-832-AD/282967930169?hash=item41e233f539:g:CqAAAOSw6T9awWNO Others in the listings, too.
  10. A better Tealby than most! Nice find.
  11. Check out the photo... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132504815553?ViewItem=&item=132504815553
  12. One of the best descriptions I've read in a while: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/coin-hammered-and-clipped-ultra-rare-collectable-tudor-princes-in-the-tower/323020174923?hash=item4b3580b64b:g:lMoAAOSwItJaV1kX
  13. £400+?! Some flat spots and edge nibbles. Wow.
  14. I use the 14mm Lighthouse capsules and just don't shake them too much.
  15. Gutted I'll miss it this time around.
  16. Ah. Mr Thomas/Michael Millard/Hibbs... Have a look here where Tony describes him as ‘An Alleged Miscreant of the 21st Century’ and I can think of at least another dozen places he's listed including Robert Matthew's site here.
  17. Very fishy looking... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfred-the-Great-Silver-Penny-880-899/253326991589?hash=item3afb7720e5:g:AnMAAOSwTm9aPp73
  18. I'm a huge fan of this series, along with Henry III and Edward the Confessor. Here are some of my 1s. A repaired 1a, a stunning 1b and a 1c & 1d.
  19. Nicole on Canterbury. Class 3c.
  20. Nice find!
  21. Welcome, Dave! Long time, no see.
  22. Convenient 'weak spot' where I expect WRL was on the reverse... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HENRY-8TH-VIII-STUNNING-PORTRAIT-POSTHUMOUS-SILVER-HAMMERED-GROAT-COIN-RARE-/272889438975?hash=item3f897a62ff:g:g4EAAOSwEthZ5G8y
  23. Amazed he dug these up... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colection-of-Brazilian-stamps-metal-Detecting-find-/292281968711?hash=item440d5ce847:g:9~wAAOSwY99ZjfiK
  24. Thanks for the video, Declan. Much clearer and definitely not an Edward III. Looks to be a class 10cf penny of Edward I or II. There is some overlap of the reigns here.
  25. Difficult to nail down specifically from the images, but looks to be an Edward III Halfpenny. Do you have any sharper images?
×
×
  • Create New...