Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

HistoricCoinage

Coin Dealer
  • Posts

    1,771
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

Everything posted by HistoricCoinage

  1. I've found it increasingly hard to do so on Android lately (assuming you aren't searching but wanting to view all coins within Hammered). The best way I've found is to scroll on the landing page to a section that's recommended for me - e.g. today was "Tudor hammered coins recommended for you". I can then filter out of it to get to all hammered. See below, tapping on 'Category' to go up a level. Alternatively you can always use your Safari/Chrome and request desktop sites I guess?
  2. Pocket change?
  3. I often get asked how hammered coins were made (beyond the 'hammered' bit), so put together a quick, light-hearted step-by-step guide. Thought it might be handy for those new to the field. Step 4 is by far my favourite.
  4. Hmm, should work now.
  5. Have NGC found a new mint for Edward III's halfgroats...? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256711519663?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IlsvgbBQQ4q&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=G6uCbYI7QUO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  6. I wish eBay did this more often, it seems >50% of the Anglo-Saxon 'coins' on eBay these days are fake, and reports go unheeded. Just look at this chancer's listings...! 15 years or so ago eBay used to have the 'Trusted Members Program' where reports from those members were classified differently and action often taken. Guess things change.
  7. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176362197471?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gChFphjQTFC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=G6uCbYI7QUO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  8. Hello! I'm trying to identify this piece but not entirely sure where to start. My starting guess would be 19th/early 20th century Indian subcontinent, but any help much appreciated! Thanks, Clive.
  9. Best example you'll ever find! Assuming the example is fake and damaged...
  10. Cash on collection...
  11. Bargain!
  12. To be clear, I do not believe it to be genuine... PAS reports (although there's no record of this coin) are also awaiting validation, so many coins like these are submitted by local FLOs but then pending confirmation from numismatic specialists.
  13. Eric? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134380955867?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=YM6dfbniSHS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=G6uCbYI7QUO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  14. Perhaps! I don't remember any similar lots and couldn't find any from a quick search though.
  15. I've come across this remarkable dish that looks like it has what would've been an impressive coun collection embedded in it (sadly polished smoothly...). Does anyone know how they were set in it and whether the coins could ever be removed? Thanks!
  16. This look suspiciously like a roughed up modern replica to anyone else? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204158103225?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2_uh5A_cSAi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=G6uCbYI7QUO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  17. I was just amused by the 'fake' spelling of Withers. 😉
  18. The 'Whithers' is a giveaway, too!
  19. Thanks for your replies, everyone! I'll do some more digging. I would assume the Royal Australian Mint, judging by John's alias.
  20. No proof, sadly. It's from a collection formed in the '40s and '50s I'm working my way through.
  21. I've come across what I believe to be a blank for a nickel brass threepence. It weighs 6.84 grams which fits, but I've never come across one before as I imagine they'd have been hard to smuggle out of the Mint. (I also wasn't expecting it to be circular as I'd never thought about how the geometric shape would've later been made!). Has anyone else come across something similar?
  22. Me? Thank you! Been nearly two years but had a strong urge to check out my old haunts. Hope you're all doing well!
  23. I'm finding it cheaper to buy from well known dealers than eBay or auction houses. How times have changed... 🤯
  24. Wonderful example.
  25. Wonderful finds and context!
×
×
  • Create New...