Rob Posted May 20 Posted May 20 Clearly not fully au fait when it comes to numismatic knowledge. Why point out a heart shaped pinprick hole, probably due to a bubble in the flan or a rust spot on the die, when there's a bleedin' obvious die flaw covering the first W on the truncation (or is it a naval cannon mint mark?). I think we should be told. Maybe somebody would like to suggest the mint mark to her and sit back to see what transpires. 1 Quote
SilverAge3 Posted May 20 Posted May 20 5 hours ago, Martinminerva said: Fortunately with his (or her - Linda??) outrageous prices, most people are fly enough to not fall for such bull, but I do see this one has sold: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/358558956337?itmmeta=01KS30XZG90WV7QVHWDYHQTRTW&hash=item537bc77b31:g:74IAAeSwAllqBx9t Obviously, post mint damage. Part of me thinks if some idiot has £500 to throw away on this sort of rubbish, more fool them, but I do take the point that naive people might get burnt. Don' know what the solution is. Ebay aren't ever interested in reporting items like these... Ebay won't even take down fakes, anymore. I still try, but have had zero success for several years. 1 Quote
SilverAge3 Posted May 20 Posted May 20 2 hours ago, Rob said: Clearly not fully au fait when it comes to numismatic knowledge. Why point out a heart shaped pinprick hole, probably due to a bubble in the flan or a rust spot on the die, when there's a bleedin' obvious die flaw covering the first W on the truncation (or is it a naval cannon mint mark?). I think we should be told. Maybe somebody would like to suggest the mint mark to her and sit back to see what transpires. That cud or w/e has to be worth at least £500 all on its own. Quote
Martinminerva Posted May 22 Posted May 22 (edited) On 5/20/2026 at 4:50 PM, Martinminerva said: Fortunately with his (or her - Linda??) outrageous prices, most people are fly enough to not fall for such bull, but I do see this one has sold: Oh no it hasn't! I see it's back on for the same price, ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/358587103022 ) alongside a load more misleadingly described pennies including allegedly an LCW below foot (it's not) and some central cut fishtails from years or obverses when they don't exist! Whoever this is seems to have a lot of knowledge about rare penny types in principle, but then talks out of their arse in practice. Utterly bizarre... a well-read incompetent, or a sophisticated chancer?? Or create your own label... Edited May 22 by Martinminerva Quote
secret santa Posted May 22 Posted May 22 1 hour ago, Martinminerva said: Whoever this is seems to have a lot of knowledge about rare penny types in principle, Sadly, many of his quotes are taken from my penny websites which seem to be the source of his inspiration to "find" new mint errors/varieties/etc/etc. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted May 25 Posted May 25 https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/brits-urged-check-stash-now-37172309 I've got several 1881H pennies in Unc - I must be a millionaire ! Quote
Peckris 2 Posted May 25 Posted May 25 3 hours ago, secret santa said: https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/brits-urged-check-stash-now-37172309 I've got several 1881H pennies in Unc - I must be a millionaire ! Seriously? Or joking? If you really have, are you up for selling one of them? Quote
secret santa Posted May 25 Posted May 25 It's only the F103 that are really valuable - something the article failed to mention. People with F108 are going to think that they really have something special. Quote
Coys55 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 3 hours ago, martinross44 said: 1863 Penny. Tell me I'm not seeing things.... I'm not entirely sure what you are seeing, but it's not an H if that's what think it is. Or the face of Jesus either. 1 Quote
Citizen H Posted May 27 Posted May 27 errrrmmmmmm? found this'un and in the spirit of thing with the penny interest (although I'm not 🤷♂️) I thought id show you all... its not my interest but may float someone's boat... not sure if its a wonky 6 or misshaped 2 ???? or whatever I'm supposed to be looking out for?!?!??! Victorian Penny 1862 👍 Quote
martinross44 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 12 minutes ago, Coys55 said: I'm not entirely sure what you are seeing, but it's not an H if that's what think it is. Or the face of Jesus either. Die number 5 Quote
Coys55 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 12 minutes ago, martinross44 said: Die number 5 Ah, sorry. I don't think it's a 5 either TBH. 1 Quote
martinross44 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 Just now, Coys55 said: Ah, sorry. I don't think it's a 5 either TBH. It is much clearer on the original photograph, however I had to reduce it to very low res to get it passed the 500kb max image size! Quote
Martinminerva Posted May 27 Posted May 27 (edited) 4 hours ago, martinross44 said: Tell me I'm not seeing things.... You're seeing things. Another classic case of pareidolia, methinks. On a genuine die 5, the die number is much larger than your "blob" and also slightly to the right of a border tooth. Your anomaly is to the left... See below: Edited May 27 by Martinminerva Extra pictures added 1 Quote
martinross44 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 4 minutes ago, Martinminerva said: You're seeing things. Another classic case of pareidolia, methinks. On a genuine die 5, the die number is much larger than your "blob" and also slightly to the right of a border tooth. Your anomaly is to the left... See below: Appreciate your thoughts and feedback Quote
Coys55 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 1 hour ago, martinross44 said: It is much clearer on the original photograph, however I had to reduce it to very low res to get it passed the 500kb max image size! Can you crop the original photo to the area of interest and then compress the smaller area to 500kb if necessary? The freeware irfanview will do the job very well. Quote
martinross44 Posted May 27 Posted May 27 53 minutes ago, Coys55 said: Can you crop the original photo to the area of interest and then compress the smaller area to 500kb if necessary? The freeware irfanview will do the job very well. This is a cropped image already, taken from a digital microscope and compressed via tinyfy. Which apparently makes it look like I took the photo with a potato. Quote
Coinery Posted May 27 Posted May 27 It really is a shame not to see clearer images, it does look 5-like. I do draw caution however from the fact that I can just as easily see an inverted A below the 8. Crystal images are an absolute must in these cases. Quote
secret santa Posted May 28 Posted May 28 Exciting news ! Terry Eagleton has just pointed out to me that a 1926 penny was sold at London Coin auction in 2025 described as a F195 Modified Effigy but is, in fact, only the second ever "recorded" instance of the rare Gouby D+d Mule, i.e a coin with the Modified Effigy obverse but the true 1927 reverse. Obviously it was not recorded by LCA, but it is indeed the second known example. The first example was discovered by Michael Freeman and bought by me. If anyone on the Forum bought this coin. I would love to know more. Auction 190, lot 2174. Quote
Martinminerva Posted May 28 Posted May 28 (edited) Hi Richard. I saw it at the time and was considering putting a bid in but concluded it was a doctored specimen: the 6 on the LCA specimen is surrounded by lighter coloured metal consistent with it having been transplanted from another coin onto an original 1927 coin. Quite apart from that, it would have to be a different die too as on your ex-Freeman one, the 6 is over a gap between teeth and rotated slightly clockwise, whereas on the LCA one, the 6 is bolt upright and over a tooth. I can't believe two trial dies were produced striking one coin each! Happy to be proved wrong if anyone here did buy it and microscopy eliminates my suspicions... Edited May 28 by Martinminerva Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted May 28 Posted May 28 Fu 55 minutes ago, Martinminerva said: Hi Richard. I saw it at the time and was considering putting a bid in but concluded it was a doctored specimen: the 6 on the LCA specimen is surrounded by lighter coloured metal consistent with it having been transplanted from another coin onto an original 1927 coin. Quite apart from that, it would have to be a different die too as on your ex-Freeman one, the 6 is over a gap between teeth and rotated slightly clockwise, whereas on the LCA one, the 6 is bolt upright and over a tooth. I can't believe two trial dies were produced striking one coin each! Happy to be proved wrong if anyone here did buy it and microscopy eliminates my suspicions... Funnily Enough I sent a message to Richard at exactly the same time as you posted here Martin saying exactly the same thing, but that because both ME coins have the small Britanniar neither coin could have been modified post Mint as this obverse and reverse had never been present together on any other year penny , So therefore both must be Experimental dies from the Mint Quote
Martinminerva Posted May 28 Posted May 28 I see what you mean, Terry. How curious... Would they really have made two dies for this experiment?? Just to add another spanner in things, here's a picture of a normal (albeit missing waves) 1931 reverse (from Richard's site) which also seems to have the smaller Britannia, longer teeth, thinner thumb, bigger gap from trident to teeth etc such as Richard has identified for these trial pieces. Are there actually BOTH subtly different Gouby reverse d's known for all dates 1927 to 1936, perhaps as a result of hubbing variations, and so this could after all be a doctored 1927 piece???? Or is it just for 1931? I'm going to have to trawl through all my GV pennies later!! If anyone on the forum did buy it, PLEASE have a good look at it through a microscope! Quote
secret santa Posted May 28 Posted May 28 1 hour ago, Martinminerva said: I can't believe two trial dies were produced striking one coin each! I can believe that more than one trial die was produced while they were considering the final design of the 1927 reverse and it's possible that several coins were struck from the new dies with strict instructions that they never leave the Mint - but they did ! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.