1949threepence Posted December 17, 2021 Posted December 17, 2021 3 hours ago, secret santa said: Peter Andrew alerted me to the 1934 penny that sold in the Heritage auction for $1620 !!!!!!!!!!! https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-penny-1934-ms67-brown-ngc-/a/232150-63471.s?ic=homepage-myrecommendations-WorldCoins-item-052114&tab=MyRecommendations-080216 Is there something special about it, Richard - apart from being graded at MS67? Maybe I'm missing something very obvious. Quote
jelida Posted December 17, 2021 Posted December 17, 2021 I think the penny is nice, uncirculated but pretty ordinary otherwise, let’s generously say £200 worth. The slab, however, is very rare, you don’t see many MS67 1934 penny slabs and it must be worth at least £1200 to a dedicated slab collector, unless NGC decide to produce some more. Jerry 🙄 7 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted December 17, 2021 Posted December 17, 2021 3 hours ago, secret santa said: Peter Andrew alerted me to the 1934 penny that sold in the Heritage auction for $1620 !!!!!!!!!!! https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-penny-1934-ms67-brown-ngc-/a/232150-63471.s?ic=homepage-myrecommendations-WorldCoins-item-052114&tab=MyRecommendations-080216 Someone numerically dyslexic thought they'd got a 1933 for a bargain price? 1 Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted December 17, 2021 Posted December 17, 2021 11 minutes ago, jelida said: I think the penny is nice, uncirculated but pretty ordinary otherwise, let’s generously say £200 worth. The slab, however, is very rare, you don’t see many MS67 1934 penny slabs and it must be worth at least £1200 to a dedicated slab collector, unless NGC decide to produce some more. Jerry 🙄 Best answer so far...... 2 Quote
blakeyboy Posted December 18, 2021 Posted December 18, 2021 1 hour ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said: !?!?!?!?!?@#$$$%!?!?!? You missed out " §•¶ªººººº¢#¢€¡ºº˚¡ " but maybe you thought there may be children reading this.... 1 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted December 18, 2021 Posted December 18, 2021 (edited) 6 hours ago, secret santa said: Peter Andrew alerted me to the 1934 penny that sold in the Heritage auction for $1620 !!!!!!!!!!! https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-penny-1934-ms67-brown-ngc-/a/232150-63471.s?ic=homepage-myrecommendations-WorldCoins-item-052114&tab=MyRecommendations-080216 Unbelievable ,i was watching it thinking it might make £450 ish and when it went over £1K ,could not believe what i was looking at. However you look at it though it was a good result for the seller. Edited December 18, 2021 by PWA 1967 1 Quote
Bruce Posted December 18, 2021 Posted December 18, 2021 HA often have some ridiculous hammered price about UK coins, totally no idea why. Quote
azda Posted December 19, 2021 Posted December 19, 2021 (edited) On 12/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Bruce said: HA often have some ridiculous hammered price about UK coins, totally no idea why. Because in the state of Texas its perfectly legal to shill bid, just not in the rest of the world. I uploaded a video about Heritage that I had found on Youtube, it's in here somewhere, it's very eye opening. Located it for you. The guy eventually gets to coins further into the video, but you should watch it from the beginning. Edited December 19, 2021 by azda Quote
secret santa Posted December 19, 2021 Posted December 19, 2021 Absolutely fascinating. I recommend watching it all but if you're time is limited, the coin-relevant content starts at 38 minutes in. Quote
PWA 1967 Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 One i bought from Spink the other week not attributed with the Test strike 8 BP1880Af ,you dont see many in a decent grade and the best one i had before had been heavily cleaned. 7 Quote
jelida Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said: One i bought from Spink the other week not attributed with the Test strike 8 BP1880Af ,you dont see many in a decent grade and the best one i had before had been heavily cleaned. Yes, we’ll done Pete, I had spotted that and had put a bid on it in case it was missed by others ; the only other nice one I have seen is mine which featured in these pages some years ago. But I have seen a fair number of more worn specimens. The other 1880 botched repair that Gouby features in his revised text seems rarer again, does anybody here have an example? Jerry Quote
blakeyboy Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 Anyone here buy the unattributed 1911 hollow neck this week off ebay? I was second bidder- not enough spare cash, but it was a nice bargain for someone! Quote
Michael-Roo Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 Today I bought one, grading a tad lower, for £91 inc p&p. Still a nice bargain and I'm happy with it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-Penny-Rare-Hollow-Neck-Variety-George-V-as-shown-/115160689644?hash=item1ad01cabec%3Ag%3AzE4AAOSwck9hyyWb&nma=true&si=x5XhPMN40oppHpvvgkGwNxXi%2Fvs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 1 Quote
secret santa Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 1 hour ago, blakeyboy said: Anyone here buy the unattributed 1911 hollow neck this week off ebay? Do you have the link ? Quote
Michael-Roo Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 I think this is the one Blakey means: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-BIG-George-V-PENNY-AUCTION-1911-Penny-as-shown-Low-START-/294648763044?hash=item449a6f52a4%3Ag%3AtW0AAOSwFCBhtJ~q&nma=true&si=x5XhPMN40oppHpvvgkGwNxXi%2Fvs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 Quote
jelida Posted December 28, 2021 Posted December 28, 2021 1 hour ago, blakeyboy said: Anyone here buy the unattributed 1911 hollow neck this week off ebay? I was second bidder- not enough spare cash, but it was a nice bargain for someone! I bought this one, as you say a reasonable price for a better than average example. Sorry, Blake. The other is nice, too. I think they may be from the same seller under different EBay guises - Barrie Clack of Ross on Wye. I have met him at a local car boot sale, seems a decent chap. Certainly sells a lot of pennies. Jerry 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted December 29, 2021 Posted December 29, 2021 Nice one Jerry! I should say 'sorry'- not you- I bid you up!!!!!! I was rather hopeful at Xmas- good beer, pile of interesting cheeses, penny £3.00 with a minute to go....:-) 1 Quote
Michael-Roo Posted January 3, 2022 Posted January 3, 2022 (edited) On 12/28/2021 at 6:28 PM, Michael-Roo said: Today I bought one, grading a tad lower, for £91 inc p&p. Still a nice bargain and I'm happy with it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-Penny-Rare-Hollow-Neck-Variety-George-V-as-shown-/115160689644?hash=item1ad01cabec%3Ag%3AzE4AAOSwck9hyyWb&nma=true&si=x5XhPMN40oppHpvvgkGwNxXi%2Fvs%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 To clarify: List price was £98 plus p&p, but the seller was offering a seasonal 10% discount on all coins so my total, for a very nice good fine Gouby X, was £91. And I still have the one I'd grade fine, also bought from eBay a couple of years ago, for £1.50 inc p&p. Edited January 3, 2022 by Michael-Roo 5 Quote
secret santa Posted January 6, 2022 Posted January 6, 2022 It's got the dropped 90 as per Gouby's book. Nice one. 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 I maybe see one very couple of years. Mike tipped me off about the last one- a worn example, but clear. 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 Ah...knew it was someone on here... Oh- did anyone get penny folder before Xmas that had a strangely good 1919KN in it? Quote
blakeyboy Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 Oops- I didn't mean to infer that Mike is a 'worn example'. Just thought I should make this clear! Quote
1949threepence Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 6 hours ago, blakeyboy said: Oops- I didn't mean to infer that Mike is a 'worn example'. Just thought I should make this clear! Worn? clear date only, dear boy, clear date only. Anyway, I thought I would make a few points about the 1806 no incuse curl pennies. Peck was of the opinion that they are roughly in a 1:5 ratio as opposed to incuse curl examples. But I'm inclined to think it's more like 1:10 in view of the difficulty I've encountered obtaining one. Not especially easy getting a mid grade specimen, but the higher grades are difficult. Finally got this one from a dealer, and noticed it had previously sold at the June 2021 LCA for just £70. He made a fair mark up on it, as you would quite reasonably expect, but it is one of the better ones I've seen, being toned GEF with no issues. 6 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.