will1976 Posted February 14, 2020 Posted February 14, 2020 8 minutes ago, copper123 said: I would guess VF and EF though its only a guess Spot on with the grades. The book was published in 2013 1 Quote
copper123 Posted February 15, 2020 Posted February 15, 2020 I must be honest I have never seen a brass coin - that will be the next one I buy , hopefully , by the price it looks quite common Quote
Paulus Posted February 18, 2020 Posted February 18, 2020 Getting there, slowly, with this series .... just landed 3 Quote
will1976 Posted February 18, 2020 Posted February 18, 2020 That's a lovely example 👍🏻 Uncirculated? 1 Quote
JLS Posted February 18, 2020 Posted February 18, 2020 On 2/15/2020 at 10:52 AM, copper123 said: I must be honest I have never seen a brass coin - that will be the next one I buy , hopefully , by the price it looks quite common Good luck ! I can't find one of the brass ones in nice grade; my collection of these is in a similar state to Will's; don't have the "RRR" one or the silver/gilt specimen listed. Did pick up the following unlisted gilt prooflike piece recently though: 1 Quote
JLS Posted February 18, 2020 Posted February 18, 2020 On 2/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, copper123 said: I have this one as well _ i am not sure really if these are actual circulating coins or advertising pieces , but it does not seem to matter they are lovely pieces of social history Very nice - this is a really exceptional quality strike for this issue, even if there's a bit of wear. Quote
Paulus Posted February 19, 2020 Posted February 19, 2020 16 hours ago, will1976 said: That's a lovely example 👍🏻 Uncirculated? I would say so, yes 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 19, 2020 Posted February 19, 2020 On 2/18/2020 at 9:57 PM, Paulus said: Getting there, slowly, with this series .... just landed Gorgeous. Just one puzzle - how did they know in 1794 that the picture would be enlarged when posted in a forum in 2020? 3 Quote
VickySilver Posted February 20, 2020 Posted February 20, 2020 (edited) Edited February 20, 2020 by VickySilver Quote
PWA 1967 Posted February 20, 2020 Posted February 20, 2020 3 minutes ago, VickySilver said: Any chance of a bigger picture please Eric ? 1 6 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 20, 2020 Posted February 20, 2020 15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said: Any chance of a bigger picture please Eric ? Almost gives me nostalgia for the era of Azda's dinner plates... Quote
Danelaw Posted February 24, 2020 Posted February 24, 2020 I get a few lead tokens from time to time. This was from Westminster. Quote
will1976 Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 It's been very quiet on the token front for me lately so decided to splash out on the following.......Ottley's Kempson restrike in copper of the 'New Jerusalem Temple' Had my eye on it for awhile and just thought what the heck, why not! 2 Quote
JLS Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 39 minutes ago, will1976 said: Also picked up this nice card counter Very nice ! I find this series fascinating, with regards to the widely accepted theory that there was no "Bishop's Wine Cellar" and that these were fantasies of 19th century pub checks. Is the "2" in "Bottle 2/11" overpunched ? Quote
will1976 Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 26 minutes ago, JLS said: Is the "2" in "Bottle 2/11" overpunched ? Both two's are blundered but I don't think it's an over punch. Looking at it closely (×40 magnification) I'm starting to think it might be an upside down 7 punch along with another to make up a 2. Possibly an altered 9 punch? I'm currently looking for the articles from TCSB to read up on 1 Quote
JLS Posted March 31, 2020 Posted March 31, 2020 2 hours ago, will1976 said: Both two's are blundered but I don't think it's an over punch. Looking at it closely (×40 magnification) I'm starting to think it might be an upside down 7 punch along with another to make up a 2. Possibly an altered 9 punch? I'm currently looking for the articles from TCSB to read up on Plausible theory. It's probably of Scottish origin given that it shares the obverse die of Mr. Wylie's Classes (V27) ? Don't know of any English token with this obverse die. Quote
ozjohn Posted April 1, 2020 Posted April 1, 2020 10 hours ago, JLS said: Very nice ! I find this series fascinating, with regards to the widely accepted theory that there was no "Bishop's Wine Cellar" and that these were fantasies of 19th century pub checks. Is the "2" in "Bottle 2/11" overpunched ? I like the Colonial bit probably Australia or S A colonies. Quote
JLS Posted April 10, 2020 Posted April 10, 2020 A new acquisition for the unofficial farthing collection...despite the rather fancy style, Seaber is presumed to have been a total failure in business (or to have died shortly after opening up shop) because his establishment didn't last long enough to be recorded in any directory etc. The tokens are therefore pretty rare ! 2 Quote
will1976 Posted April 11, 2020 Posted April 11, 2020 A little light reading for the lockdown....... 6 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted April 11, 2020 Posted April 11, 2020 Both those titles look like great reading. Quote
JLS Posted April 11, 2020 Posted April 11, 2020 43 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said: Both those titles look like great reading. The one on the left is definitely an excellent read - I bought it around ten years ago...the section about the Soho mint's involvement in the Russian coinage is particularly fascinating. 2 Quote
Iannich48 Posted April 11, 2020 Posted April 11, 2020 5 hours ago, will1976 said: A little light reading for the lockdown....... Both available from Amazon at a very good price. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.