British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

1952 Half Crown Revisited, Or Facebook Madness

Ok, let me just start by saying that I am not able technically (old-fashioned me!) but perhaps someone can assist with possibly screenshooting some of the commentary where on Facebook there is a fellow on "Half crown Appreciation Society" group that somehow thinks he has a GENUINE 1952 Half crown. It is one of those knock-off poor copies not labelled as such with the atrocious bust of G6. The reverse is alright and the toning suspect but I could not believe some of the comments.

Although it does make me wonder about the actual currency piece that Colin Cooke had for a bit and is written up still on his site. How in the world did it get out into circulation and even more strange how did it manage to be out in channels long enough to pick up that much wear and not be discovered; I also note that it does not appear to be a circulated proof or to be of any special manufacture.

Edited by VickySilver
clarify

I have since found out that the 1952 2/6 proof is also unique, this from impeccable source.

Haven't been able to source a picture of the VIP proof... Can anyone oblige?

The original October of 1997 Baldwin 125th Anniversary Sale had the proof halfcrown and 1952 proof penny as well. I knew some of the principles at the time and may have a picture somewhere and think I have the catalogue which I saved as well. Will have a looksee tomorrow.

• Like 1

How much did it sell in 1997? The prices for the proof or currency must be astronomical today I imagine.

31 minutes ago, Sword said:

How much did it sell in 1997? The prices for the proof or currency must be astronomical today I imagine.

My copy of 'Collectors Coins 1998' shows that it was sold by private treaty in 1991 for £28,500. No mention of a sale in 1997 though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ok, let me just start by saying that I am not able technically (old-fashioned me!) but perhaps someone can assist with possibly screenshooting some of the commentary where on Facebook there is a fellow on "Half crown Appreciation Society" group that somehow thinks he has a GENUINE 1952 Half crown. It is one of those knock-off poor copies not labelled as such with the atrocious bust of G6. The reverse is alright and the toning suspect but I could not believe some of the comments.

Although it does make me wonder about the actual currency piece that Colin Cooke had for a bit and is written up still on his site. How in the world did it get out into circulation and even more strange how did it manage to be out in channels long enough to pick up that much wear and not be discovered; I also note that it does not appear to be a circulated proof or to be of any special manufacture.

I replied on the post but was talking about a totally different coin due to how facebook showed the posts.  I likely, unintentionally, added to the confusion. Sorry!

19 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I've joined the group. but cannot find the thread concerned to do screenshots, despite scrolling a very long way down,

Could you tag me into the thread and then I can easily oblige.

I joined the group and found the post . The owner didn't know it was a copy , but now appears to be quite content knowing that it isn't real .

No photo description available.

• Like 2

There is also a guy on one of the predecimal FB sites "showing off" an 1863 proof penny along with a pic from Baldwins of one previously sold .Even after being told that it isn't a proof , and isn't the same coin from Baldwins ,he still isn't backing down lol . It is also on sale on ebay .The fact it isn't even EF , should be a bit of a giveaway .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285386931951?hash=item427262feef:g:nzMAAOSweS9kovuY&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IFQACtYbIRNDZDqMfU1uhWYl%2Bbbmv%2BwcH6QR3z9mgdUb%2ByITgndV4ZKrzr87X99MCvHOg8qC2siVbRWkL4Xq9qw7TdxkwH4%2BFwxy6LlI5tFB29DJwnJ69FHRXS7pph2TUdjK33YeStF5b3wldjhk3w3%2Fej3a2FXPxLim6AAuEH06llLWtgUovgQu8enwuzjl3Se9KlpNx9K4gW3WxgAled%2FmJvqUgk%2F5rvKeiDi%2FJ0GRy5lDViSB2VVxYs56e4b6GBoMRBSqMDRb10K0W%2FmOfLJaNJg8S%2Fd5Q1%2Fu2UaBotM|tkp%3ABk9SR_iVvq6wYg

23 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

There is also a guy on one of the predecimal FB sites "showing off" an 1863 proof penny along with a pic from Baldwins of one previously sold .Even after being told that it isn't a proof , and isn't the same coin from Baldwins ,he still isn't backing down lol . It is also on sale on ebay .The fact it isn't even EF , should be a bit of a giveaway .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285386931951?hash=item427262feef:g:nzMAAOSweS9kovuY&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IFQACtYbIRNDZDqMfU1uhWYl%2Bbbmv%2BwcH6QR3z9mgdUb%2ByITgndV4ZKrzr87X99MCvHOg8qC2siVbRWkL4Xq9qw7TdxkwH4%2BFwxy6LlI5tFB29DJwnJ69FHRXS7pph2TUdjK33YeStF5b3wldjhk3w3%2Fej3a2FXPxLim6AAuEH06llLWtgUovgQu8enwuzjl3Se9KlpNx9K4gW3WxgAled%2FmJvqUgk%2F5rvKeiDi%2FJ0GRy5lDViSB2VVxYs56e4b6GBoMRBSqMDRb10K0W%2FmOfLJaNJg8S%2Fd5Q1%2Fu2UaBotM|tkp%3ABk9SR_iVvq6wYg

Yes, saw that. The guy concerned must be very naive if he thinks that will fool anyone. 

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, saw that. The guy concerned must be very naive if he thinks that will fool anyone. 

According to him, he is an expert and everyone else knows nothing lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

According to him, he is an expert and everyone else knows nothing lol.

An "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, VickySilver said:

I do remember the late 60s Coin Monthly where this find was mentioned, and the letter from the RM certifying it as genuine.

Until decimalisation was announced as a definite thing in 1966 there was very little interest in postwar coins - I can quite imagine the halfcrown circulating without much notice, not until the Check Your Change booklet appeared, and even Coin Monthly didn't appear until late 1966.

19 hours ago, mick1271 said:

I know nothing on Pennys so advised him to join here to get an expert opinion on his coins.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:01 AM, Nonmortuus said:

I know nothing on Pennys so advised him to join here to get an expert opinion on his coins.

bet I know what he said!

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I do remember the late 60s Coin Monthly where this find was mentioned, and the letter from the RM certifying it as genuine.

Until decimalisation was announced as a definite thing in 1966 there was very little interest in postwar coins - I can quite imagine the halfcrown circulating without much notice, not until the Check Your Change booklet appeared, and even Coin Monthly didn't appear until late 1966.

Yes this also contributed to the bubble in modern coins that happened in the early 70'sand  late sixties , its easy to look back in old coin monthlies from that time and be horified at the prices

ie Mint grade 1959 halfcrown £20

Anyone who paid those prices was well and truely stitched up

I note that on the same Facebook group there are great pictures of some coins including the aforementioned 1952 2/6 as well as a very nice 1956....

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

I note that on the same Facebook group there are great pictures of some coins including the aforementioned 1952 2/6 as well as a very nice 1956....

I'd very much like to own one of those, if we're talking the same 1956....

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

Yes this also contributed to the bubble in modern coins that happened in the early 70'sand  late sixties , its easy to look back in old coin monthlies from that time and be horified at the prices

I've said it before, but the 1970 Coins & Medals annual price guide listed the 1797 twopence in BU at £35, while the 1932 penny in BU was £50. :blink:

• Like 1

Without the 'Check Your Change' booklet, and the 'I-Spy Book of Cars', my childhood would have been very bleak indeed.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:35 PM, copper123 said:

Some of them you now could obtain at the same absolute price you would have paid then - unadjusted for inflation. A BU 1953 penny being an example.

15 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Some of them you now could obtain at the same absolute price you would have paid then - unadjusted for inflation. A BU 1953 penny being an example.

The 1953 plastic set as well - about £5 back then, and you needn’t pay much more now. It's weird how 1953 was considered a 'scarce year' back then, with no-one apparently realising that millions put coins aside in the first year of a new monarch.

Definitely true and will be interesting to see (if we live that long) what happens with some of today's "scarcities" like Strike on the Day, etc.

Back to the OP:  the 1956 2/6 discussed is absolutely top notch and graded Proof 68 Deep Cameo at PCGS and is available for viewing on their site.

Mark R. confirmed that the 1952 2/6 is the real deal from the famed Baldwin's Basement and is known in proof ONLY from this specimen, evidently not in the RM or Royal or BM or anywhere else.