Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I'll add images when forum software allow me to do so.

 

I think the software will let you load more images immediately if you do a refresh of the screen - using the F5 key or the refresh button at the top. Or else come out of the thread and back in should do it. (The software is not clearing the fact that you have already loaded an image and thinks you are trying to load another image alongside your first.)

This has worked for me in the past.

Posted
On 1/11/2022 at 6:43 AM, Martinminerva said:

Definitely reverse G.

Easiest way to spot is the sea meeting rock level at the extreme left of the exergue. On Rev. G it rises up slightly and does not cross the linear circle. On Rev. I it is pretty much level and does cross the linear circle. See enlargements below...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In the notes I've left myself I have reverse G has lighthouse with two windows and one rock between lighthouse and shield, reverse I has lighthouse with no windows and two rocks between lighthouse and shield.

  • Like 1
Posted
On 1/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, jelida said:

Oops, silly me, it’s the R over B in BRITT halfpenny that I have, which you have pics of. It’s my three 1862 B/R pennies that look identical to this B/R halfpenny overstrike. The abnormal shape of the inner loop of the B is a clear giveaway, even on worn coins.

The halfpenny collection is coming along nicely, thanks to LCA and EBay. My best so far is the (pricey) 1862 die letter C with good lustre, from a continental auction a few months ago. I must take pics.

Jerry

1862 die letter C with good lustre, nice! Please show us Jerry.

  • Like 1
Posted
18 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

1862 die letter C with good lustre, nice! Please show us Jerry.

This! ☝️ 

Posted
54 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Die letter C much rarer than the A

I've found the A to the RIGHT of the lighthouse to be the scarcest followed by the B. 

Die letter A appears to me  to the most common in either of the letter positions to the LEFT of the lighthouse.

Die letter C follows with same observation regarding either of its two letter positions.

Die letter B is next scarcest followed the die letter A to right of the lighthouse.

Years ago I had posted images of these in the forum. Can't seem to find them now. Probably using incorrect search parameters.

 

  • Like 1
Posted
9 hours ago, Mr T said:
On 10 January 2022 at 8:43 PM, Martinminerva said:

image.jpeg

In the notes I've left myself I have reverse G has lighthouse with two windows and one rock between lighthouse and shield, reverse I has lighthouse with no windows

Not true! Reverse I lighthouse also has two windows as picture above shows, albeit masonry is a bit heavier (and akin to reverse F as Zo Arms says above).

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I've found the A to the RIGHT of the lighthouse to be the scarcest followed by the B. 

Die letter A appears to me  to the most common in either of the letter positions to the LEFT of the lighthouse.

Die letter C follows with same observation regarding either of its two letter positions.

Die letter B is next scarcest followed the die letter A to right of the lighthouse.

Years ago I had posted images of these in the forum. Can't seem to find them now. Probably using incorrect search parameters.

 

I myself found a A in fair grade (but very clear) it was the more common A to the left .

I sold it as I did not consider it collectable in that grade as it had been polished as well and I am a bit old school on polishing (I hate it)

Heres hopeing I find another

Posted
28 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I sold it as I did not consider it collectable in that grade as it had been polished as well and I am a bit old school on polishing (I hate it)

I hate it too, but if you cart it about in your pocket with the rest of your change for about a year you can take the shine off it and make it look a bit better. :D

I'd have kept it, but then I keep everything.

  • Haha 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I've found the A to the RIGHT of the lighthouse to be the scarcest followed by the B. 

Die letter A appears to me  to the most common in either of the letter positions to the LEFT of the lighthouse.

Die letter C follows with same observation regarding either of its two letter positions.

Die letter B is next scarcest followed the die letter A to right of the lighthouse.

Years ago I had posted images of these in the forum. Can't seem to find them now. Probably using incorrect search parameters.

 

I think that this is the link.

Link to Thread with Images

  • Like 1
Posted
8 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

Not true! Reverse I lighthouse also has two windows as picture above shows, albeit masonry is a bit heavier (and akin to reverse F as Zo Arms says above).

Yes you're right - there are fainter lower windows. Maybe I meant there are no upper windows when I wrote that - I don't have a reverse I in hand but it doesn't look like there aren't upper windows.

Posted

Here are a few of my recent halfpenny acquisitions, firstly the 1862 Die letter C previously mentioned.

image224.jpg

image225.jpg

  • Like 6
Posted

a HALP halfpenny, 7 + G from Ebay

image226.jpg

image227.jpg

Posted

My 1861 B over R in BRITT, 7 + G

image230.jpg

image231.jpg

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jelida said:

Here are a few of my recent halfpenny acquisitions, firstly the 1862 Die letter C previously mentioned.

image224.jpg

image225.jpg

That reverse is not  near unc  in fact its not EF obverse is much better. Makes me jealous though.....

Edited by copper123
Posted
19 minutes ago, copper123 said:

That reverse is not  near unc  in fact its not EF obverse is much better. Makes me jealous though.....

A worn die is not the same as a worn coin,  and I do agree the reverse die had lost detail, a bit like some ‘F’ reverses in the penny series. I pondered this previously,  why the need to mark the engraved face of the die to monitor longevity, when the die could be marked elsewhere in greater detail ; they would have to have counted the number of actual coins struck per studied die either way. And the die marked coins seem to have been too few to  be practically monitored for ‘in circulation’ studies. Could partially worn regular dies be lettered or numbered to in some way monitor a later stage of their lives, or to  be brought back into use?  Perhaps with such a tiny mark the die would not even need annealing. Is there evidence out there?

Jerry

  • Like 3
Posted

I agree could be die wear , collectors will still mark it down prob a grade because of lack of clarity on the reverse , still worth around £1700 though.....

If it were a penny of similar rarity it would be £6000

Posted

Just been looking at the die letter halfpennies in LCA archives, the best ‘C’ is CGS45 so about VF, and has the same weakness of Britannia and lower shield, as does a CGS35. The A’s and B’s seem much crisper. The CGS 45 went for £2000 plus juice in 2013. I have no idea of the top grade out there. But value is not an issue for me, I very rarely dispose of anything.

Jerry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...