Bernie Posted February 2, 2025 Posted February 2, 2025 (edited) 20 hours ago, Mr T said: Is there a .pdf of the Bernard Workman Collection auction available by any chance? I found https://auctions.sovr.co.uk/index.php?option=com_timed_auction&auction_id=26 but wanted something more offline. Auction details of collection, starting at page 11, lot 186 online. Sovereign Rarities Edited February 2, 2025 by Bernie Missed info 1 Quote
jelida Posted February 3, 2025 Posted February 3, 2025 A nice penny from Ebay, 34 Euro including postage. Considerable residual lustre that doesnt seem to show in the pics - nicer in the hand! Jerry 8 2 Quote
jelida Posted February 3, 2025 Posted February 3, 2025 And I was surprised to spot this in a little tub of coins in my local auction at the weekend; somebody else must have too, as it went for £170 plus commission. But a bargain I think. Jerry 2 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted February 3, 2025 Posted February 3, 2025 They were two good buys Jerry, well spotted 👍. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted February 3, 2025 Posted February 3, 2025 On 2/2/2025 at 12:14 AM, Mr T said: Is there a .pdf of the Bernard Workman Collection auction available by any chance? Steve Hill of Sovereign rarities sent me a nice 4 page Word document containing pictures of most of the coins as a pre-auction publicity release. If you let me have your email address, I'll mail it to you. 1 Quote
Rob Posted February 3, 2025 Posted February 3, 2025 There was a printed catalogue of the pennies only. They might still have some copies if you ask. 1 Quote
Mr T Posted February 7, 2025 Posted February 7, 2025 Excellent, will do secret santa. I'll look into that Rob though hopefully being in Australia won't an issue. Thanks all. Quote
alfnail Posted October 12, 2025 Posted October 12, 2025 Have been looking for a decent one of these on ebay for years. Have only seen a couple of lower grade ones, and I'm thinking the variety is 'rare', rather than 'scarce' as per Gouby. 8 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted October 15, 2025 Posted October 15, 2025 I think there are a couple of date types in Gouby that are rare rather than scarce and maybe not knowing how many will turn up in the future.Most that are scarce in low grade will be much harder ( rare) in higher grades, 1890 being one of them 👍. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted October 15, 2025 Posted October 15, 2025 On 10/12/2025 at 12:21 PM, alfnail said: Have been looking for a decent one of these on ebay for years. Have only seen a couple of lower grade ones, and I'm thinking the variety is 'rare', rather than 'scarce' as per Gouby. I'm surprised - I find that 1887, 1889-1892 are by far the most common buns even in high grade. Quote
alfnail Posted October 16, 2025 Posted October 16, 2025 I believe there is also a rare 1890 date variety which is not documented by Gouby. The 9 is clearly higher than the numeral 8. It also seems to be rotated clockwise a little and, perhaps, has a longer tail. 4 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted October 17, 2025 Posted October 17, 2025 Ah, you're talking about varieties (the post above didn't mention that)? The regular 1890 is as common as muck. Quote
blakeyboy Posted October 18, 2025 Posted October 18, 2025 i've been looking for a good 1890 'dropped 90' for ages. My only example is a VG one found for me by Mike Hopkins.... Quote
secret santa Posted October 28, 2025 Posted October 28, 2025 I bought an F33 with I over I in BRITT at Noonan's last week. It's my second example, but with a different overstrike: And the previous one: 6 Quote
jelida Posted July 4 Posted July 4 Finally, after a month of challenge getting BT/Open Reach to repair my landline I at last have acceptable broadband and can post some recent acquisitions. First an example F10 new obverse 2*, £20 at Ebay auction. 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.