copper123 Posted February 1, 2023 Posted February 1, 2023 I would grade it as EF , while there is little wear it is noticeable and the obverse has slight problems as well . Was the graders name mutly (Always dreaming!) 1 Quote
Bruce Posted February 1, 2023 Posted February 1, 2023 10 hours ago, copper123 said: I would grade it as EF , while there is little wear it is noticeable and the obverse has slight problems as well . Was the graders name mutly (Always dreaming!) Maybe bit more harsh, gVF to me, anyway, no where near AU. Quote
1949threepence Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 10 hours ago, Bruce said: Maybe bit more harsh, gVF to me, anyway, no where near AU. I'd grade as EF/gVF. Despite the dirt patches, the obverse detail is EF. Reverse about gVF. 1 Quote
Michael-Roo Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 53 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: I'd grade as EF/gVF. Despite the dirt patches, the obverse detail is EF. Reverse about gVF. I agree. 1 Quote
copper123 Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 14 hours ago, Bruce said: Maybe bit more harsh, gVF to me, anyway, no where near AU. There is an massive gulf between gvf and AU I wonder if these gradeing companies employ children and threaten them with a slipper if they dont do as they say 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 1 hour ago, copper123 said: There is an massive gulf between gvf and AU I wonder if these gradeing companies employ children and threaten them with a slipper if they dont do as they say That's how I run my workshop. My accountant has managed to arrange for me to get tax relief on the slippers! 2 Quote
copper123 Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 3 hours ago, blakeyboy said: That's how I run my workshop. My accountant has managed to arrange for me to get tax relief on the slippers! Yes Blakey I have a picture of you with your understudy 2 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 8 hours ago, copper123 said: There is an massive gulf between gvf and AU I wonder if these gradeing companies employ children and threaten them with a slipper if they dont do as they say unfortunately, that is the American system for you - everything is "AU" right down to GVF 3 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 34 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said: unfortunately, that is the American system for you - everything is "AU" right down to GVF Their grading standards seem much looser than ours. 1 Quote
Bruce Posted February 2, 2023 Posted February 2, 2023 4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: Their grading standards seem much looser than ours. Undoubtedly yes, and they like everything in a small plastic box 1 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted February 3, 2023 Posted February 3, 2023 A really nice 1893 over 2 Gouby BP1893B ,often wrongly attributed 😀 7 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted February 13, 2023 Posted February 13, 2023 One i have just got back from NGC MS65BN ,lovely tone for a scarce year in high grade. 9 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 14, 2023 Posted February 14, 2023 Lovely coin - certainly scarce in THAT condition. 1 Quote
PWA 1967 Posted February 15, 2023 Posted February 15, 2023 1826 Penny also just back from NGC MS65BN ,really nice in hand and again with a lovely tone. 6 Quote
jelida Posted September 22, 2024 Posted September 22, 2024 Time to show some recent acquisitions, I have had a couple of bargains in the last couple of weeks. Firstly a nice 1898 'last 8 bisects' from the last Midland coin fair, unrecognised and £35. 7 Quote
jelida Posted September 22, 2024 Posted September 22, 2024 And a 1875 'cannonball' from an online dealer, £11 plus £2.50 postage. 9 Quote
jelida Posted September 22, 2024 Posted September 22, 2024 (edited) one of the newly discovered 1889 'missing serifs', £6 on Ebay. I have looked at many 1889's, seems scarce. Now I just need an upgrade.... Jerry Edited September 22, 2024 by jelida 3 Quote
jelida Posted September 22, 2024 Posted September 22, 2024 And I had looked at this specimen at £50 in a dealers tray at the Midland Coin Fair many times over the last year or two, but left it thinking it was an F763 (I have several); but when it dropped to £17.50 I thought it worth a punt. On closer examination I think it is an F8B, on the basis of the relationship between last colon and cape, and the position of the 'dimple' left by the worn rose. What do you think? Jerry 5 Quote
secret santa Posted September 22, 2024 Posted September 22, 2024 2 hours ago, jelida said: What do you think? Spot on - that tiny remnant of the Order of the Garter at the bottom right of the bust confirms it. 2 Quote
secret santa Posted September 23, 2024 Posted September 23, 2024 11 hours ago, secret santa said: Spot on - that tiny remnant of the Order of the Garter at the bottom right of the bust confirms it. 2 Quote
Coinery Posted September 23, 2024 Posted September 23, 2024 (edited) 4 hours ago, secret santa said: Would that eclipse on the middle bead also be a tell tale, it’s a well-protected bead for ID, and is also on both coins? Or is this present on other dies? Edited September 23, 2024 by Coinery 2 Quote
secret santa Posted September 23, 2024 Posted September 23, 2024 4 hours ago, Coinery said: Would that eclipse on the middle bead also be a tell tale, it’s a well-protected bead for ID, and is also on both coins? Or is this present on other dies? Not quite sure what you mean by the eclipse on the middle bead - is it the tiny indentation on the top of the middle bead in the picture ? If so, then it will only be detectable on the highest grade specimens, and there aren't many in that condition, although it does seem to be present on all the obverse B coins that I own. It may well be present on my obverse A coins: Quote
Coinery Posted September 23, 2024 Posted September 23, 2024 4 hours ago, secret santa said: Not quite sure what you mean by the eclipse on the middle bead - is it the tiny indentation on the top of the middle bead in the picture ? If so, then it will only be detectable on the highest grade specimens, and there aren't many in that condition, although it does seem to be present on all the obverse B coins that I own. It may well be present on my obverse A coins: Yes I was referring to the bead you mentioned…it sits pretty well protected in a channel between deep devices and looks to be present, even on Jerry’s low-grade example? Of course, if it’s common across other obverses, it’s nothing but a moot point. Quote
jelida Posted October 14, 2024 Posted October 14, 2024 Yesterday at the Midland Coin Fair, an F28 for only £3. Always worth a rummage. Jerry 13 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.