Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

bagerap

Accomplished Collector
  • Posts

    1,260
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    46

Everything posted by bagerap

  1. Here's the one I meant: https://timelineauctions.com/lot/george-iii-1797-cased-commemorative-cartwheel-penny-set-3-/39165/
  2. Looks to be one of the Donald Golder pieces, came out for the Millennium I think.
  3. There's a Max Carrados radio series sometimes available on BBC iplayer
  4. And he now knows which part of the image to soft focus.
  5. I like also that the seller is supposedly in the Netherlands, it's listed on ebay.co.uk but the postal details Posta Assicurata Internazionale are in Italian.
  6. Slightly off topic but the Victorians were inordinately fond of lacquering commemorative medals, particularly the white metal types. Today, these present as blackened lumps, most of which are resistant to alcohol and acetone. I did manage to clean one a few years ago, with Nitromors, and found a mint fresh medal underneath the crud. Apart from shellac, what other lacquers were available in the C19th?
  7. Sorry for the rough outlining but I think that these are the ports. Six of them.
  8. By the quality of the strike it's almost certainly a Dutch strike, maybe Cochin, which puts it before 1825.
  9. Yup, they're all obvious and well known fakes.
  10. One copy available on facebook £10.00 https://www.facebook.com/groups/buysellbritishcoins/?fref=nf
  11. As a point of interest for anyone brave enough to try desoldering, a desoldering wick is easily made by stripping off the outer covering of co-ax cable. The woven copper can then be slid of the inner sheath and pulled tight until it becomes a wick.
  12. I have my usual winter chest infection and shouldn't cough or laugh, but this listing made me do both. God loves a trier. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50p-Royal-Badge/253383709834?hash=item3afed8948a:g:vtcAAOSw8i9aWNek
  13. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-42887063
  14. Yours is technically a counter or jeton, but that doesn't get us any nearer an identification/origin. I'll dig through some of my old paper files and magazines at the weekend.
  15. And as someone who has collected this type of token in the past, it's completely unknown to me. Certainly never seen her backed with the royal CoA before.
  16. For a really expert opinion, I'd recommend that you try here: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7 Contributors to that forum have literally written the book on these coins. The man you need to ask is called swamperbob
  17. £610? You're having a Turkish (bath) Guv!
  18. I've not seen that version of the Uxbridge School before, very nice.
  19. I used to think that these were very rare, but I've probably handled around 7-8 over the last four years, so maybe just scarce. I'd say that the price is fair.
  20. No, honestly they get puffed up like that during the monsoon. It's just that some of them don't flatten out afterwards. Ever so rare.
  21. NOW!!! reduced from £50,000 and with free postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272998872727?ul_noapp=true
  22. Not exactly a resolution, more the fact that I have to shed around 20 kilos, I will leave the demon drink alone until I can touch my toes. There again, it's 7 AM on New Years Day and I 'm touching my toes. Only because I'm mainly lain on the floor in an irregular Z shape, fighting off my mighty chihuahua.Fortunately my toes are near my hands, otherwise this would have been a wasted exercise. And the demon drink is on a hiding to nothing as I'm just about to finish the last bottle of port. Happy New Year Chaps. (To be honest, I'm really impressed with myself for typing so coherently, when I can't even stand up)
  23. It does look very much like a Nuremberg jetton, but of superior quality. I'm unable to read any of the lettering clearly, but if it were Italian, then you are looking at Venice. Krauwinkel was producing this type of design as early as late C13th. This looks to be much later and so, almost certainly Nuremberg.
  24. Are you certain that it is a fleur de lys cross and not crossed keys? Any idea of the metal, because I think it might be an early sack seal, which would be lead.
  25. Also John, you would enjoy talking with forum member seuk whose interest in fakes mirrors yours.
×
×
  • Create New...