All Activity
- Past hour
-
Henry v 1413-22 Quarter Noble Spink 1757Var. 1.71g Obverse: HENRIC REX ANGL FRANC within treasure of arches, stops of various shapes. Trefoil to left and mullet to right. Reverse: EXCVLTABTUR IN GLORIA (“He shall be exalted in glory”). Cross with lions in angles: lis in centre. Mullet to the right was to distinguish the kings new mint master Lewis John. Henry v’s first mint master. Appointed to the role on 14th April 1413. The trefoil was used as a periodic privy mark to identify a specific minting window die variation or administrative shift within the tower mint. The Annulets (small circles) placed around the arches served the exact same high-utility purpose as the ones next to the central shield or to top. They acted as a subtle internal code to identify the exact sub-series, die variation, and specific mint run. The “1757 Var” Designation: in British numismatics “1757” refers to the ID in the Spink standard catalogue of British coins. The “Var” (variety) means it features a distinct die error or sub type -specifically, a spelling variation, in the reverse Latin legend that reads EXCVLTABTVR instead of the standard EXALTABITVR, (“He shall be exalted in glory”).
-
- 2
-
- Today
-
If I had to make a semi-educated guess, I'd say it could be a crude provincial imitation of an official Roman denarius.
-
these 2 that I've found would have been boot fairs ages ago (pre computer's) basic knowledge really and just found old coins an interest which was a side interest as I was really hunting WW1 Cap Badges and Medals... I'm still sifting through boxes bags & Cuboards ..... when will it end? 😟 Ive few more interesting Victorian etc to add to the forum, Paddy once again many thanks for your input I can now continue looking into my Trajan... once again I'm indebted to you.🙏🏻
-
SohoMint started following Jubilee Head Plaster Model & Electro-types
-
Hello, I am in the midst of writing a relatively large article on the 1887 Jubilee Coinage - estimated to be about 600pgs in total. In the process of such research, I spent about a week at the Royal Mint studying about ~200 tools relevant to the coinage and a similiar number of coins. Unfortunately, it seems that the Mint did not retain the original plaster models designed by Boehm. It often had seemed to be suggested that the relevant item(s) had been destroyed - a fact that I could not bear to hear! Hopefully, continuing the research into plaster models, with some vague hope of finding something, I did come across a 2010 Baldwin's sale, auction 68, which sure enough had a plaster model of the Jubilee Head! Well, I contacted Steve Hill of Sovereign Rarities, who worked at Baldwin's who confirmed that the piece sold to a bidder in Australia, and was since resold in auction 100 of Noble Numismatics (an Australian based auction house) after failing to sell in auction 99. I am now trying to contact the owner of such a piece, though I am having difficultly identifying who may own it. Should anyone have an idea of who may own it, it would be greatly appreciated for this to be shared with me. To my knowledge, it is likely an Australian collector, perhaps someone with a focus on the Jubilee coinage. Similiarly, if anyone has any high quality images of the copper electrotype described in BNJ 1984 by Graham Dyer, please would you be able to share it with me! Kind regards, -Ashley
-
I always like to see them, and have got better at Identifying them, but I have resisted collecting them. That is one huge rabbit hole to go down!
-
I wish I had enough knowledge and experience to collect Roman coinage! To start would send me right back to scratch, where I’d spend the next 10 years buying duds and fakes at full market value, without a single bargain. I think they’re a fabulous thing to have, though!
-
I think I can see the remains of "IMP TRAIAN ..." on the obverse, so Trajan? Reverse legend seems to have some Greek letters, so possibly Roman provincial.
-
during a bit of absence I've had some down time to continue with the boxes of eclectic coins that I've hoarded over the many years, I could post photos everything however rubbed Victorian silver duplicates in low condition are now easier to identified so I wont become a time waster. However..... Randomly I happened upon this which I believe to be a denarius.... Googles chucking up all manner of what it may be.....however nothing has matched completely.... Lord only knows where it came from and how much it cost.... As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated...... 👍
-
It has the denomination half-crown on the reverse does it?
-
https://ebay.io/m/Bvd8Q6 😬
- Yesterday
-
1945 Penny - Thin flan
absence of uniformity replied to Accumulator's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Thanks for explaining this it makes sense. Having now read more about it, Nitric would most likely destroy a coin outright, Hydrochloric if not neutralised properly would probably leave trace chlorides inside the crevices. Supposedly if the coin was stored in a damp place or a plactic bag with a damp piece of paper towel for a few days any residual chlorides would come back to life and create new hydrochloric acid and bronze disease should appear. -
Yes - 'fraid so! Wallowing in the luxury of retirement now.
-
Have you given up your market stall?
-
Nice detective work @Coys55 🙌
-
Spot on. It could in theory be a class 1a2, 1a5, 1b1, 1b2 or 1c, but 1a2 is immediately ruled out because there is no square C or E and 1a5 because there is no stop after LVND. The others rely on observing a stop between S and R on the obverse (present on 1b1 and 1b2, but omitted on 1c). The round C and the R are clear enough, but is the gap between the two letters big enough for a stop? I'm not sure. In the end it doesn't really matter, because the coin is pretty much toast, but I enjoy getting as far as possible with these hopeless cases.
- Last week
-
I can understand the logic of considering the lack of stops by the mark of value as a true variety as they provide a finite area for visual confirmation of the coin's face value, making it very difficult to add extra strokes to 'increase' its value. Given the random weight distribution at certain periods in history, this would provide some reassurance as to what it was. Urban myths are not a new thing. Edited to add, I think the right hand pellet is on the left hand side of the vertical light area, but the left hand dot isn't clear on my screen. It is also important to remember that dies were normally recut after the old one had been rubbed down, meaning it could show old detail anywhere on the flan, or not depending on where it was re-engraved on the die stock. The die shaft was not necessarily the same diameter as the coin being struck.
-
I did come across what appears to be a 8 string Penny also possibly no stops either side of the 1. Maybe there is a ghostly outline of the left pellet/dot I'm not sure? I see there is a recorded variety BULL 229 In textbook English Silver Coinage Since 1649 by Maurice Bull—Bull 229 explicitly indexes the Commonwealth Silver Penny struck with "no stops at mark of value". "this specific reverse layout is a recognized, recurring variety. Auction listings track this exact variant as "Very rare without stops on reverse,"
-
Ukstu started following Commonwealth half penny.
-
Agreed. It's the only forum on here i take a real interest in. Posts are few and far between on here so happy to see people still posting stuff as it gets neglected abit.
-
Yes, I don’t think halfpenny harp strings are a thing I’m planning to get sidetracked by…very happy to read about Gaz’s upcoming discoveries though
-
Looking carefully at this tiny coin, it definitely has six thick strings with possibly a lozenge or raised pellet shaped stop at the front of the strings. Could this be of significance! It looks lozenge shaped but through two loops on top of each other it’s impossible to make the shape out perfectly.