Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

  1. Past hour
  2. It's not actually a denarius as you'd think but a drachm. Here's a similar one...https://en.numista.com/235578 The legends are the giveaway with it.
  3. Today
  4. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am already in regular contact with SohoMint. I nearly bought the lot but just dipped out at the last.
  5. Yes, I am not sure where AI came up with "Arabia Shelf" - makes no sense from what I know of Ancient history. I think the reverse legend starts "DEM..." so could be the Greek Goddess Demeter? but it may be "DEMNA.." which I can't relate. (The H is the Greek letter Eta - a long ee sound.) The only book I have on these is "Greek Imperial Coins" by Sear, but it has few illustrations and rather assumes you can read most of the inscription!
  6. Yesterday
  7. The goddess of Waitrose?
  8. I don't believe there was a Roman goddess with 'Shelf' in her name!!
  9. a bit of looking around armed with the Trajan name....Ive found it turns out to be a Trajan Denarius, 110 A.D. on the reverse Arabia Shelf waving a branch and carrying cinnamon sticks, Camel to the left. still looking around but 110 A.D. wow! 😲 many thanks all for the imput i'd never been able to found this out with out the help 🙏🏻👍
  10. Last week
  11. Gaz T

    HENRY V

    Henry v 1413-22 Quarter Noble Spink 1757Var. 1.71g Obverse: HENRIC REX ANGL FRANC within treasure of arches, stops of various shapes. Trefoil to left and mullet to right. Reverse: EXCVLTABTUR IN GLORIA (“He shall be exalted in glory”). Cross with lions in angles: lis in centre. Mullet to the right was to distinguish the kings new mint master Lewis John. Henry v’s first mint master. Appointed to the role on 14th April 1413. The trefoil was used as a periodic privy mark to identify a specific minting window die variation or administrative shift within the tower mint. The Annulets (small circles) placed around the arches served the exact same high-utility purpose as the ones next to the central shield or to top. They acted as a subtle internal code to identify the exact sub-series, die variation, and specific mint run. The “1757 Var” Designation: in British numismatics “1757” refers to the ID in the Spink standard catalogue of British coins. The “Var” (variety) means it features a distinct die error or sub type -specifically, a spelling variation, in the reverse Latin legend that reads EXCVLTABTVR instead of the standard EXALTABITVR, (“He shall be exalted in glory”).
      • 6
      • Like
  12. I am very well acquainted with him! In fact, I worked with Sovereign Rarities on his auction last year, and have since remained in close contact with him! He did almost purchase the plaster model in 2010, but alas decided against it!
  13. If I had to make a semi-educated guess, I'd say it could be a crude provincial imitation of an official Roman denarius.
  14. You want to talk to @1887jubilee who knows more about the 1887 JH coinage than anyone I've ever met.
  15. these 2 that I've found would have been boot fairs ages ago (pre computer's) basic knowledge really and just found old coins an interest which was a side interest as I was really hunting WW1 Cap Badges and Medals... I'm still sifting through boxes bags & Cuboards ..... when will it end? 😟 Ive few more interesting Victorian etc to add to the forum, Paddy once again many thanks for your input I can now continue looking into my Trajan... once again I'm indebted to you.🙏🏻
  16. Ashley, this sounds phenomenal, I reckon there will be members on here that will be able to help you. The very best of luck in your search, please stay in touch with us all, we love things like this…very exciting! 🙏
  17. Hello, I am in the midst of writing a relatively large article on the 1887 Jubilee Coinage - estimated to be about 600pgs in total. In the process of such research, I spent about a week at the Royal Mint studying about ~200 tools relevant to the coinage and a similiar number of coins. Unfortunately, it seems that the Mint did not retain the original plaster models designed by Boehm. It often had seemed to be suggested that the relevant item(s) had been destroyed - a fact that I could not bear to hear! Hopefully, continuing the research into plaster models, with some vague hope of finding something, I did come across a 2010 Baldwin's sale, auction 68, which sure enough had a plaster model of the Jubilee Head! Well, I contacted Steve Hill of Sovereign Rarities, who worked at Baldwin's who confirmed that the piece sold to a bidder in Australia, and was since resold in auction 100 of Noble Numismatics (an Australian based auction house) after failing to sell in auction 99. I am now trying to contact the owner of such a piece, though I am having difficultly identifying who may own it. Should anyone have an idea of who may own it, it would be greatly appreciated for this to be shared with me. To my knowledge, it is likely an Australian collector, perhaps someone with a focus on the Jubilee coinage. Similiarly, if anyone has any high quality images of the copper electrotype described in BNJ 1984 by Graham Dyer, please would you be able to share it with me! Kind regards, -Ashley
  18. I always like to see them, and have got better at Identifying them, but I have resisted collecting them. That is one huge rabbit hole to go down!
  19. I wish I had enough knowledge and experience to collect Roman coinage! To start would send me right back to scratch, where I’d spend the next 10 years buying duds and fakes at full market value, without a single bargain. I think they’re a fabulous thing to have, though!
  20. I think I can see the remains of "IMP TRAIAN ..." on the obverse, so Trajan? Reverse legend seems to have some Greek letters, so possibly Roman provincial.
  21. during a bit of absence I've had some down time to continue with the boxes of eclectic coins that I've hoarded over the many years, I could post photos everything however rubbed Victorian silver duplicates in low condition are now easier to identified so I wont become a time waster. However..... Randomly I happened upon this which I believe to be a denarius.... Googles chucking up all manner of what it may be.....however nothing has matched completely.... Lord only knows where it came from and how much it cost.... As always any suggestions are greatly appreciated...... 👍
  22. It has the denomination half-crown on the reverse does it?
  23. https://ebay.io/m/Bvd8Q6 😬
  24. Thanks for explaining this it makes sense. Having now read more about it, Nitric would most likely destroy a coin outright, Hydrochloric if not neutralised properly would probably leave trace chlorides inside the crevices. Supposedly if the coin was stored in a damp place or a plactic bag with a damp piece of paper towel for a few days any residual chlorides would come back to life and create new hydrochloric acid and bronze disease should appear.
  25. Yes - 'fraid so! Wallowing in the luxury of retirement now.
  26. He would have said something like "I remember the old mismatics under Obama - they were rubbish, fake."
  27. Have you given up your market stall?
  28. Nice detective work @Coys55 🙌
  29. Spot on. It could in theory be a class 1a2, 1a5, 1b1, 1b2 or 1c, but 1a2 is immediately ruled out because there is no square C or E and 1a5 because there is no stop after LVND. The others rely on observing a stop between S and R on the obverse (present on 1b1 and 1b2, but omitted on 1c). The round C and the R are clear enough, but is the gap between the two letters big enough for a stop? I'm not sure. In the end it doesn't really matter, because the coin is pretty much toast, but I enjoy getting as far as possible with these hopeless cases.
  1. Load more activity
×
×
  • Create New...