British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary D

Fake 1933 Wreath Crown.

I vaguely recall a discusion about a fake 1933 crown sometimse ago but can't find it. Can anyone else remember this and when it was.

No idea, Gary, but lovely to meet you and Rob at the Midland! Did you have a good day?

Good to meet you as well Declan, It's nice to be able to put a face to a name. I did have a good day as I managed to pick an item that I had been looking for at a local boot sale earlier in the morning. I didn't buy anything from the Midland so perhaps not so good.

I have just picked up a 1933 Crown of the bay and just wanted to see a picture of the fake just to make sure mines a good'n.

if this helps i sent through 5 crowns a while ago and 3 came back being fakes:(

here is the pic of a '33 that came back a forgery

what is also worth checking is(cant see on the pic) but the edge reeding? not sure what its called but it was very rough and was not accurate

hope i help ;)

can also look at 24997(cgs) onwards for the other 2 fakes if interested

post-7823-0-19245600-1378760740_thumb.jp

post-7823-0-12141400-1378760752_thumb.jp

It would be really interesting to know why CGS effectively said they were fakes ... I know you don't get this info when you enter the UIN on their website, but I have had a coin rejected by them as a forgery and they explained why, have they given you that information?

Raised dots in the field is the easiest tell and the weights are usually slightly under as well.

The CGS images are not great but there looks to be one after DEI and another to the lower right on the I of BRITT

If i remember correctly, the Rose on the REV had a broken Leaf also. Wonder if we'll see more of these on ebay RD

managed to hunt down the sheet here we go ;)

1928-

1) there are numerous raised bubbles around almost all the reverse legend lettering

2) there is a larger raised bubble in the obverse field above the R of BRITT

1931-

1)the coin has an overall weak appearance, the reverse having two long die fault lines across the crown

2) there are raised bubbles in the field between BRITT and the back of the kings head

3) the milling edge does not match that found on royal mint striking

1933-

1) there is a large raised dot joining to the top curve of the D of DEI in the obverse legend

2) there is a raised dot in the obverse field following BRITT above the colon

3) the highest points of the reverse show little detail and have a 'filed' appearance on the center of the roses and the highest points of the thistles

the 1933 is a known forgery and is thought to originate from china

was basically raised dots from what i remember.looking at the milled edge compared to a normal one it was dead obvious almost like a large file had been used-uneven spacing and varying degrees of depth to the 'file'

Thanks Rpeddie, that's exactly what I and I think others wanted to know ;)

Yes, nice one, RPE, good resource, though we should still be cautious, as I'm guessing this is only IDing the 'first' batch from China. There could have been multiple sets of dies made, so always going to be worth a decent look-over, just in case the list isn't exhaustive!

Incidentally, where did that list come from?

Ouch

An expensive lesson.

I echo Stuarts (Coinery) question on purchase history.

if this helps i sent through 5 crowns a while ago and 3 came back being fakes:(

here is the pic of a '33 that came back a forgery

what is also worth checking is(cant see on the pic) but the edge reeding? not sure what its called but it was very rough and was not accurate

hope i help ;)

can also look at 24997(cgs) onwards for the other 2 fakes if interested

attachicon.gifimg_opt.jpg

attachicon.gifimg (1)_opt.jpg

Just to my own eyes (before reading down), that reverse is suspicious : it has all the look of a newly struck coin but with wear to all the usual high points (thistles, roses, fleurs de lys). There's also some uncharacteristic raising to the edge of the rim, like something taken from a mould.

i sent away the crowns to cgs to get graded and when they came back the list came along with it explaining why they did not slab them.

i have not gone close to wreath crowns again after this experience but i would still like to finish the set after coming so close :P

thankfully it was not an expensive lesson i managed to get refunds from the sellers for the forged ones :)

on the subject of fake crowns feast your eyes on this beauty that i found while buying a job lot!

masterpiece with a weight of 17g ;)

post-7823-0-95156300-1378818801_thumb.jppost-7823-0-50876000-1378818810_thumb.jp

post-7823-0-90129300-1378818816_thumb.jp

on the subject of fake crowns feast your eyes on this beauty that i found while buying a job lot!

Hmm. That reeded edge is a bit of a giveaway, otherwise it would be passable.

They come up on ebay regularly, as genuine obvisiosly.

They come up on ebay regularly, as genuine obvisiosly.
I'd be up for buying one, next time anyone spots one! :)

That's possibly a mild acid attack?

I have nearly a complete set of wreath crowns, how can i tell if there fake? I need the 1932 and 34 as the 34 i have turned out to be a fake by cgs.

I have nearly a complete set of wreath crowns, how can i tell if there fake? I need the 1932 and 34 as the 34 i have turned out to be a fake by cgs.

Ouch!

Could you please tell the forum from where you obtained it.

Got it off ebay. How do you post picures on here as i would like to put pictures on to see what you guys think of my others.

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/7880-posting-pics/