British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Remarkable how much value a little plastic can add to a coin...

link

Crazy price :blink:

Crazy price :blink:

The are whooping it up over on Collectors Universe because a coin crossed and got one higher grade. Still the same coin just a higher grade piece of plastic.

increased the asking price?.....yes

added value?......no

what do you reckon circa 78 grand for the plastic?

The US one has been reduced from $85K. Maybe he thought that it was too much to ask :huh: .

By comparison, there's this one at the forthcoming London Coins auction.

How long have they been giving us a whole half second to click on their category banner on the right? At first I thought it was just my display flickering until I saw the headings were changing.

By comparison, there's this one at the forthcoming London Coins auction.

How long have they been giving us a whole half second to click on their category banner on the right? At first I thought it was just my display flickering until I saw the headings were changing.

I hadn't noticed this, but all the categories do appear listed below in a non-stroboscopic form!

Can't blame people for trying with their asking prices, esp on Ebay!

Just curious, UNC / aFDC gothic crowns are rare. Is this partly because they weren't issued in boxes? (or did the proof versions have boxes?)

Just curious, UNC / aFDC gothic crowns are rare. Is this partly because they weren't issued in boxes? (or did the proof versions have boxes?)

Just a guess, but every generation will have thought them very beautiful coins, so they probably got passed around and shown off a great deal.

Just a guess, but every generation will have thought them very beautiful coins, so they probably got passed around and shown off a great deal.

That makes sense. They are beautiful indeed.

But not $81,500 worth of beautiful. Could buy a decent Mercedes for half that price

-wipes drool off of keyboard-

Lovely coin, granted, its certainly overpriced but I'd love to have it in my collection!

...Christmas present? :lol:

Exquisite but exorbitant. How does the seller justify this? My guess is the power of the US market that looks at populations at every quality grade and proof 67 cameo would have to be at the very very top. None higher. This certainly drives up price a great deal. but its still 2-3 times too high IMO. I've Only seen 1 maybe 2 like this.

BTW, the London coins example is not close.

Ebay coin is graded PCGS PR67 on the Sheldon scale equating to approx CGS PR92 (much higher than PR80)

Also BTW, that merc you buy instead will halve in price in the next 5 years.

Ebay coin is graded PCGS PR67 on the Sheldon scale equating to approx CGS PR92 (much higher than PR80)

The US one sure looks better, but I couldn't possibly rely on their grading number if in the market for buying it .. what's the 'Cameo' bit all about again?!

Not exactly sure, but I believe Cameo is a word used to describe a particularly nice proof with mirrored fields and frosted devices..

In the US markwt, the grading is what it is and whether true of not, the grade shown is pretty much the grade used by the market to value the coin.

This may change when you crack it open!

Alright, 81K can be used as a deposit for a flat :D

Unless Lewis Hamilton stops the boring boring Vettel in his tracks and wins the Drivers' Championship :D

The US one sure looks better, but I couldn't possibly rely on their grading number if in the market for buying it .. what's the 'Cameo' bit all about again?!

A non-numismatic cameo is a semi-precious stone where a design has been sculpted from it - the design is often cream on an amber background. For proof coins, it would be the closest description for a perfect example, where the design (usually frosted) is in marked contrast to the surrounding field which is usually highly mirrored.

post-4737-086213600 1371546135_thumb.jpg

Exquisite but exorbitant. How does the seller justify this? My guess is the power of the US market that looks at populations at every quality grade and proof 67 cameo would have to be at the very very top. None higher. This certainly drives up price a great deal. but its still 2-3 times too high IMO. I've Only seen 1 maybe 2 like this.

2-3 times?????????? Ten times maybe. Oh and btw, Mercedes don't depreciate so fast like those aussie mobiles :rolleyes: You'll lose something, but certainly not half

Still rather buy the Merc than pay for a slab number, and that's all you'll be paying for, because that coin, however nice it might be is'nt worth that amount

I'm a Merc man myself. But I wouldn't buy a new one - let somebody else take the depreciation. Currently running an S350 that had only 30k on the clock and cost less than a quarter of the Gothic crown. Goes like a dream, not a single fault so far as was the case with my previous E class.

Given that that Crown is actually a cracker...what would you estimate would be the top price you would get for it in USD ....around $23,000 ?

The OP coin? I am pretty sure it would hold at 50k in the US given the record of some of the other 66 bits.

BTW, some years (3 or 4 ) ago, I saw a pristine S65 Mercedes which listed two years previously at 120k go down to 45k!