British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

When I've listed 1913 varieties (including all 4) in the past nobody gave a damn with no bids even starting at a quid. Now, assuming they aren't in decent grade I just throw them into bulk lots or the pot for melting.

David, you're exactly right. A 1913 penny with die pairings is seldom seen. I think because none are particularly rare, people don't shout about it?

It is funny you should mention the F164A, if it is the 1*+ C die pairing (I don't have my Freeman to hand), I've been looking for one for the last 20 minutes!

The 1909 and 1908 are extremely difficult I find, I've never seen one unattributed before and when they are they go for top money compared to say a Gouby X or an open 3 or something.

There's also the degree of gain when buying cheaply. My example of a £100 coin for 50p is my good fortune and yes, I could have informed the seller and then paid a good deal more. However, the gap between purchase price and subsequent sale value can narrow so that what may appear as an unfair rip-off on my part becomes a canny purchase to make a profit. I once found a 1997 silver britannia set for sale for £30 and knew I could easily get £100 on ebay for it. I bought it and then sold it making around £70 profit. Should I have told the seller or was I wisely making a commercial transaction for my personal gain? As far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to pay what the seller asks and if he or she has it too cheap, well that's tough.

Edited by DaveG38

I paid £380 once for what I and 11 other bidders believed a coin was an 1862 8/6 penny. It was not advertised as an 8/6.

When I received the coin is was an 1862 with a stain left of the 8, The layout of the date spacing and legend led us all to believe it was the rarity.

I therefore do not have any conscience about buying unidentified rarities cheap. Please stop informing sellers ! I have a lot of making up to do !!!

I've made that mistake a few times also Bernie, so I know where you are coming from. :)

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt many times, I've just wasted £10 on a standard 1863 penny, that looked a little odd in the photo. I spend a lot of time looking at coins on Ebay trying to find varieties, many of which are never listed even by experienced sellers - how many listings do you see for 1913 die pairings? I'm still trying to find a decent 1+B F175. 1909 F169 and 1908 F164a are still on the radar.

I take the view, if I've done the leg work, and I'm prepared to get it wrong more often than not, then interesting items I do manage to buy at a low price are fair game.

Good point David. I agree 100%.

Think to sum up what i started.

If its a mate /forum member let them know.

Not a big deal but the ones who have one seem to SHOUT :)

Conversely do you tell a seller when they have a common coin they are trying to sell as a variety. There's a dealer on at the moment trying to sell a Goulby X which obviously isn't and he has dropped the price thinking it will shift. Mind you he could just be being dishonest.

I actually let this gentleman know it wasn't a Gouby X and he ignored me!!!!

They usually do ignore you , I had one who just called me an ars****e though. :angry:

His listing remained unaltered and his coin sold for a amazing 99p , justice , :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by copper123

I was looking at some coins at a stall in our local market when someone asked the dealer about an British1865 penny. To which the dealer said it was worthless. As these coins were the circulating coins in Australia at the time they are part of the Australian series and the dealer should be familiar with the prices of such coins. The coin was not shown to the dealer so its condition was unknown. In conclusion dealers who behave as this one did not deserve to be told about a rare coin he may be selling at a low price as he is unaware of its value as it is self inflicted due to the dealer's ignorance .

Conversely do you tell a seller when they have a common coin they are trying to sell as a variety. There's a dealer on at the moment trying to sell a Goulby X which obviously isn't and he has dropped the price thinking it will shift. Mind you he could just be being dishonest.

Never done it but I've seen others post their experiences when they try and more often than not they get fairly rude responses.

I do remember someone on another forum saying they'd told a seller they had incorrectly described something and the seller did take the coin down but basically said, I'll take you on your word but if you're lying then bad luck to you.

I was the recipient of a 'tip off' and was glad of it. I'd put a coin up for sale and was quickly contacted by a potential buyer querying my pics. On examination I was mortified to see that I'd mixed pics from two different coins. I was then able to 'end' the sale before bidding started and too much confusion had been caused.

The gentleman (unknown to me before this episode) was correct in what he'd said, kindly contacted me privately to say it, and saved me much potential embarrassment.

I think that happens more often than you realise. 'Sell a similar item' requires quite a few changes usually. It is also a good template for something completely different as you then don't have to keep typing in the same general blurb ad nauseum. Changes can be forgotten and the error missed.

A few years ago someone put up an 1877 F90 narrow date on Ebay, labelling it as such, but starting it at 99p as he didn't know it was rare. I contacted him out of selfish reasons, as I wanted to bid on it and I knew that some people would offer him a few hundred quid for a quick sale. I told him it was worth at least £3k and ended up winning it but it cost me a small fortune !!!

Thinking again some people with considerable knowledge are not honest ,infact more than some.

So i am know looking the other way and I think thats worse as they are just trying to deceive :angry:

Some blatant miss descriptions and hyped up crap over the last week or so.

Rant over.

Pete.

Thinking again some people with considerable knowledge are not honest ,infact more than some.

So i am know looking the other way and I think thats worse as they are just trying to deceive :angry:

Some blatant miss descriptions and hyped up crap over the last week or so.

Rant over.

Pete.

Pete, Remember this is the Christmas Season of Good Will, etc! :)

Good will and health for everyone all year round for me Bob.

Hope you had a really good birthday :) .

Take care and have a fantastic christmas and as i always say and mean keep smiling.

Only my opinion on the above post and would never share the seller on an open forum.

Pete.

• Like 1

Good will and health for everyone all year round for me Bob.

Hope you had a really good birthday :) .

Take care and have a fantastic christmas and as i always say and mean keep smiling.

Only my opinion on the above post and would never share the seller on an open forum.

Pete.

I did have a great Birthday today, capped off with Pizza Party tonight with my family. Also Thanks for the many well wishers from the Forum Members! :) Merry Christmas to you and your Family also Pete ! :)

Hope you enjoyed the party .

I had one with my grandma last week who i see most days.

She lives with my mum and was 102 :o

• Like 1

I have spotted over the last couple of years varieties of pennies that were not described as such on ebay.

Sorry wasnt sure weather to post as a new topic / more pennies.

The seller has been informed that the coin they have listed is scarce/rare (sometimes by a forum member).

I think in the cases i have noted the person has one already ,infact i know.

Question..........

Would you tell the seller or not ?.

I have been watching pennies and all of a sudden the price has gone up considerably.

After looking at information added on EBAY they have been informed its RARE.

This can be frustrating after having the coin in my watch list for a few days.

Alternatively if you DIDNT have one would you be as quick to SHOUT.

Opinions please as wondered weather its right or wrong ?.

This i appreciate happens in auction house descriptions but slightly different .

Pete.

I must be honest, if I saw a rarity that the seller hadn't spotted, I'd go for it at the cheap price without informing them.

It's the opposite of "caveat emptor". Don't know if there is a Latin phrase for "let the seller beware".

A few months ago on e bay, an Irish seller listed a load of what at first sight was the usual washer like dross that crowds the pages. However, on closer inspection one of them turned out to be an 1860 Freeman 8 mule. A fact that wasn't lost on many other viewers. It went for £376 - and I missed out because the sodding time was out on the e bay clock. So my last second £400 snipe failed.

The seller must have had the shock of his life - I'm sure he had no idea what it was.

Edited by 1949threepence

F8 at £376 was a really good buy ,wish i had only paid that :angry:

It was only fair, but even so, still a bargain. I've got a web page of it saved whilst the auction was in its early stages. Unfortunately I made a right horlicks of it, so you can't see the reverse properly, but I'll screenshot it, and post a link so you can see it. Just to give you an idea.

This is it here with apologies for the limited experience !

Yes, I bid on that, I think I was the under bidder; couldnt justify more because of the harsh cleaning and verd. I see it re-surfaced on the bay recently, one of this forums more favoured sellers , now a slabbing reject , attracted even fewer bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VICTORIA-MULE-PENNY-1860-/321938320645?hash=item4af504ed05%3Ag%3AH08AAOSwf-VWYFtc&nma=true&si=QpvVHmX4UTCz%252F7MxamyORLwjNWQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jerry

And I loved his attempt to declare it unique, and that CGS couldnt value it as they hadnt seen one before. I doubt he'll make much profit on it.

Jerry

And I loved his attempt to declare it unique, and that CGS couldnt value it as they hadnt seen one before. I doubt he'll make much profit on it.

Jerry

As mentioned in the original title Jerry...... honesty or knowledge ................Maybe greed ?.