British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Here a nicely toned 1651 Commonwealth Pattern Halfcrown by P. Blondeau i have . A precursor for the milled coinage that the Royal Mint would start to produce during the reign of Charles II

small 1651 halfcrown obv.jpg

• Like 2

heres the reverse

small 1651 halfcrown rev.jpg

• Like 2

A common coin but a nice cheap addition with bags of eye appeal if you like toning :)

1917-threepence2.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

A common coin but a nice cheap addition with bags of eye appeal if you like toning :)

1917-threepence2.jpg

Particularly stunning reverse. :)

I wish I could get images as good as these. I've not managed a single accurate image in the past month - and it's seriously p'ing me off. 500+ coins and I haven't been able to upload a single one with a presentable picture. Even the last acquisition of the week images are the wrong colour. :angry:

Believe it or not, this is a mellowed version of Non's 3d in terms of colour. At least the black came out black for a change instead of the light grey/brown it usually does. Grrr. Yet another wasted evening.

http://DSC_0362_zpst4kk3gfv.jpg

Edited by Rob

@Rob what are you using as your lighting? I have spent a bit of time messing about with my camera set up, camera setting, angle, lighting etc (not as much as Paulus!) and have found that the lamp used makes a huge difference. I bought a cheap day light LED lamp off amazon and some black neoprene for the back ground (as it is chemically inert). Paulus has also now purchased one of these lamps as they make that much of a difference. I really want to get a second and third lamp and try to light from multiple sources. The 3d above is as vibrant as the pictures when the light catches it but I think another 1 or 2 light sources will maybe show how it looks in hand without trying to get it to catch the light.

Set up as it stands:

Nikon COOLPIX L120 14MP Digital Bridge Camera - (Will be going to a Nikon D3100 once I can afford the Macro lens)
Macro turned on
Black Neoprene background (other colours are avialable)
Day light LED Lamp (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QGNCA62?ref_=pe_1365641_54848841 or something similar as long as the LEDs are daylight rated)

Camera is mounted on a Tripod and positioned over the end of my desk. The lamp is right by the edge of the desk.
Neoprene is placed on lamp base with light directly above it and camera positioned as to not cast a shadow on the coin.
For Halfcrowns & Florins the camera is about 8" away and zoomed in slightly
For smaller denominations I tend to place a book (spink) on the base of the lamp and then use the neoprene etc to ensure the coin fills the shot without me having to zoom in too much.

Edited by Nonmortuus

Lighting is a pair of flexible LED lamps with a piece of translucent plastic padding to diffuse the light. The kids have set it up so the control is done from a program called digcamcontrol, with the pictures exported to a program called lightbox. Not sure it is the best thing because sometimes the photo doesn't load. It says can't find a path. Then others it comes up with error 81 whatever that means (can't find the manual), at which point it appears to be trying to video(?) something. The original camera I was using also works intermittently, so it's really a case of trying time and again until I eventually get an image I can process. Sometimes it decides to use the flash and other times not, so I tried increasing the light to fool it into thinking it didn't need to flash - not convinced that is working either.

Whatever, I can't get the colours to look good, though it seemed to lose the red tinge when I put the coin on a white background. The Saxon penny I posted used a 2x2 envelope, so even there the colours are out. You can always see the join, so colours are never consistent, which is why I thought black would be good, except black is never black. :( Very occasionally things work, but I don't know why, which is the frustrating part.

Hopefully one of them wil reappear and explain how to use this camera. Hope springs eternal.

Edited by Rob

Oh Rob to add to my post above, I make sure all other lights are off.... no room lights, no TV, nothing. I found with the room lights on I would sometimes get more or an orange tone or would find reflections of my clothes, for example a red T-Shirt, would impact the colour of the coins e.g. a red tinge would appear on the coin from the T-shirt being reflected.

Edited by Nonmortuus

One common issue with the George V half crowns is the overall flatness of the obverse- especially the earlier dates 1911-1919

I have been relatively quiet this year so far with purchases, but I did pick up a new Queen Victoria silver medal this week.  Of the 90+ silver medals commemorating the Diamond Jubilee and indexed in Laurence Brown's British Historical Medals, this is one of only 3 listed as RR (very rare, approximate mintage of 30-50 pieces).  The relief on this medal in hand is just unreal --  I have no idea how many blows were required to strike it up fully on a medal press, but it is impressive.  This is indexed by Brown as BHM-3535, and is indexed by Whittlestone & Ewing as #3062.  

1897_Medal_QueenVictoria_DiamondJubilee_

• Like 4

Brandon, does Brown list this in any other metals?

Coin envy as usual Brandon, where do you find these?? :)

19 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Brandon, does Brown list this in any other metals?

Brown only lists this medal as having been struck in Silver.  BUT, I have found a handful of copper examples floating around via web searches -- supposedly unlisted and dating to 1897, but quite possibly later restrikes since the copper pieces are not indexed in any of the medal books.  Actually though, I cannot find another silver example in any easily accessible auction records or online searches.

My new Seaby envelope from the 50's arrived today and this Anne crown came with it.

This is the dealer image.  The reverse image does not show the toning as it is dark, and the dealer looks to have used a bright light for the pic.

I really need to buy a camera.  Can any coinaholic out there tell me how to not spend camera money on a coin ? 

Have a good weekend everyone

Anne crown 4.jpg

Anne crown 3.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brg5658 said:

I have been relatively quiet this year so far with purchases, but I did pick up a new Queen Victoria silver medal this week.  Of the 90+ silver medals commemorating the Diamond Jubilee and indexed in Laurence Brown's British Historical Medals, this is one of only 3 listed as RR (very rare, approximate mintage of 30-50 pieces).  The relief on this medal in hand is just unreal --  I have no idea how many blows were required to strike it up fully on a medal press, but it is impressive.  This is indexed by Brown as BHM-3535, and is indexed by Whittlestone & Ewing as #3062.  

No equine Brandon? :rolleyes:

Very impressive medal though, and pictures as always.

2 hours ago, Garrett said:

Can any coinaholic out there tell me how to not spend camera money on a coin ? 

Cameras can be borrowed. ;)

• Like 1

I think some people on here scan their coins on a printer somehow. I have never done it but I am sure someone can explain the best dpi needed etc.

2 hours ago, IanB said:

I think some people on here scan their coins on a printer somehow. I have never done it but I am sure someone can explain the best dpi needed etc.

I have scanned coins and medals for speed but I'm never happy with the results, there again I'm not much happier with my photos :(

Looks very nice Paulus. Bring it on postie.

nice crown Garrett

• Like 1

No hearts sixpence upgrade just landed 

1787_sx_wo_hearts_02_01_1600_1l_nt.jpg

• Like 1

Paul

Nice...was it an ebay BIN purchase?