British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

Thanks Pete, I wish I could take credit for the pics, I am getting better at coin photography, but they are not my pics (although they are my coins!). Most importantly, they are an accurate representation of the coins 'in-hand'.

The 1821 is CGS pics (yes, they are MUCH better at pics these days (most of the time!), the 1903 is credited to one of my favourite on-line sellers of the moment, and the bull head is courtesy of Alan at mhcoins (a member here), who also happens to have a professional coin photography service.

Edited by Paulus

Yes i recognised the CGS one but thought you had done the others.

Think the pictures if you sell any make a big difference and worth spending the time to get them right.

Sure you will get them to a level you are happy with.

Think the pictures if you sell any make a big difference and worth spending the time to get them right.

I could not agree more, how did your professional photographer get on, any results to share yet?

I'd like to mention that both Alan Worby and the seller of the 1903 Florin have expressly given me permission to re-use their pics.

Edited by Paulus

Sorry to disrupt the topic but the mhcoins site is quality.

Nice website and fantastic pictures.

• Like 1

I could not agree more, how did your professional photographer get on, any results to share yet?

He isnt a professional Paul just a keen amateur.

Just a nice bloke who has retired and lives nearby,he took about 130 (ones i dont need to upgrade) and was sorting them out .

Told him there was no rush so just wait to here back from him.

They will certainly be better than having none :)

Pete do you leave all your coins with him or do you take them to him to get the photos then take them away with you?

He came to my house Matt took all the picures ,then said he would put them all on a pen drive after editing some of the slabs out.

I did wonder, but that's really good. Probably not so much for him having to lug all of that equipment around haha! :D

And another newbie

1817-halfcrown.png

Nice! :-)

woooooooooo

That one and the florin are just lovely. Very special!

Thanks Stuntman, I think so too!

This newbie has some nice delicate toning (get the impression I am bored with plain silver-looking coins?)

1902_sh_pf_03_03_sellers_h-c_dot_com_s32

• Like 1

I prefer the obverse but a very nice coin. :)

Very nice.

A KH4 halfpenny in silver (P-). The appearance of a P1039 in the next Spink sale reminded me of this, as it was originally described thus, but has rust spots on Britannia's knee, something that my KH2 (P1042 in copper) is missing. As this came out of Baldwins basement about 9 years ago, it is one that Peck genuinely missed as he must have visited the dungeon a few times whilst compiling his tome.

post-381-0-92031900-1448526488_thumb.jpg

And the reverse. Pity about the marks on the leg. :(

post-381-0-40668200-1448526545_thumb.jpg

A KH4 halfpenny in silver (P-). The appearance of a P1039 in the next Spink sale reminded me of this, as it was originally described thus, but has rust spots on Britannia's knee, something that my KH2 (P1042 in copper) is missing. As this came out of Baldwins basement about 9 years ago, it is one that Peck genuinely missed as he must have visited the dungeon a few times whilst compiling his tome.

Lovely coin.This might be a daft question but how many approximately of them were minted ?.

Yeah that's nice, I don't think I've seen that reverse before

Probably half a dozen ish, maybe less. Some varieties are only known from 1 or 2 examples. They never circulated, so I suspect most of the original mintage still exists. Colin Cooke had a flat one for sale 10(?) years ago, but you couldn't confirm the variety with certainty. Considering their rarity they are relatively cheap, but then people don't collect halfpennies, do they. If they were bronze pennies you would be doubling the price and more.

Coppers and gilt or bronzed coppers are more common for the original Soho pieces. There is only one original Soho striking in gold (P957) known and that was unsold in Selig (1999), but had disappeared by the time I went looking for it. :(

Of Taylor's restrikes, Aluminium ones are rare, but that is because it was a precious metal at the time, only becoming commercially available in the 1880s. The gold restrikes are probably all unique and the silver ones unique or nearly so. Most are copper or more likely bronzed to hide the defects.

Not the best picture or the rarest coin but nicely toned and better in hand than on my dodgy pics

1936-threepence.jpg?w=474&h=238

• Like 1