Kipster Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 11 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Just bought a couple of upgrades from Asprey Coins, based in Havant. In doing so, I had a good long chat with the owner, Mark Horton, on Monday Evening. Easy to talk to and a real coin enthusiast. Anyway, we got round to talking about varieties, and he drew my attention to something - possibly a mini variety - which I've never come across before. Namely slight differences in the E of PENNY in 1900 pennies. Mark had observed that the lower bar of E in penny was straight in some examples, and slightly curved in others. I checked mine, which was curved. Mark sent me an e mail with some illustrative pics. They're a bit big to use on here, so instead I started looking at 1900 penny examples on e bay, and outsorted a couple of examples. Straight lower bar of E in PENNY Slightly curved lower bar of E in PENNY I've used the direct links as you can employ the zoom feature and see more easily. But he's right, there is a noticeable difference. Thoughts? Mark was very happy for me to raise the issue on here and use his name. Nice chap is Mark. Spent a few quid with him over the past year and has some nice pieces. Always ready for a chat. 1 Quote
secret santa Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 12 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Just bought a couple of upgrades from Asprey Coins, based in Havant. In doing so, I had a good long chat with the owner, Mark Horton, on Monday Evening. Easy to talk to and a real coin enthusiast. Anyway, we got round to talking about varieties, and he drew my attention to something - possibly a mini variety - which I've never come across before. Namely slight differences in the E of PENNY in 1900 pennies. Mark had observed that the lower bar of E in penny was straight in some examples, and slightly curved in others. I checked mine, which was curved. Mark sent me an e mail with some illustrative pics. They're a bit big to use on here, so instead I started looking at 1900 penny examples on e bay, and outsorted a couple of examples. Straight lower bar of E in PENNY Slightly curved lower bar of E in PENNY I've used the direct links as you can employ the zoom feature and see more easily. But he's right, there is a noticeable difference. Thoughts? Mark was very happy for me to raise the issue on here and use his name. I've mentioned this with pictures on my varieties website for Edward VII pennies but haven't noticed it on 1900 pennies. 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 6 hours ago, Kipster said: Nice chap is Mark. Spent a few quid with him over the past year and has some nice pieces. Always ready for a chat. Well the three pieces that I've just bought from him fall into what I call, the classification of "meaningful upgrades". Where the difference between what you've now got and what you had, is very substantial. That makes it well worth the money you spend. Quote
Coinery Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 Bought one of these today, just so someone might talk to me. A common date, but an OK grade I’d say 3 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 2 hours ago, Coinery said: Bought one of these today, just so someone might talk to me. A common date, but an OK grade I’d say Very nice grade in fact, and issue free. Whenever I see an 1862, I always automatically look for three possibilities, a) halfpenny sized date, b) VIGTORIA, c) F38. Admittedly all exceedingly unlikely. 1 1 Quote
Coinery Posted June 15, 2023 Posted June 15, 2023 (edited) 19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: Very nice grade in fact, and issue free. Whenever I see an 1862, I always automatically look for three possibilities, a) halfpenny sized date, b) VIGTORIA, c) F38. Admittedly all exceedingly unlikely. Thank you, I really appreciate your insights. With this being a 6+G do you happen to have the Freeman number to hand? I never dreamt I’d be buying such coins ever again, so have long since parted with the book. Edited June 15, 2023 by Coinery 1 Quote
alfnail Posted June 16, 2023 Posted June 16, 2023 7 hours ago, 1949threepence said: Very nice grade in fact, and issue free. Whenever I see an 1862, I always automatically look for three possibilities, a) halfpenny sized date, b) VIGTORIA, c) F38. Admittedly all exceedingly unlikely. ... and one or two more!!😉 2 Quote
secret santa Posted June 16, 2023 Posted June 16, 2023 (edited) 33 minutes ago, alfnail said: ... and one or two more!!😉 Edited June 16, 2023 by secret santa 2 Quote
secret santa Posted June 16, 2023 Posted June 16, 2023 8 hours ago, Coinery said: With this being a 6+G do you happen to have the Freeman number to hand? F39 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted June 16, 2023 Posted June 16, 2023 3 hours ago, alfnail said: ... and one or two more!!😉 2 hours ago, secret santa said: Oh yes, those as well. All in all makes the 1862 possess a world of potential. 1 Quote
Coinery Posted June 16, 2023 Posted June 16, 2023 4 hours ago, secret santa said: F39 Thank you, appreciate that Quote
1949threepence Posted June 17, 2023 Posted June 17, 2023 One of my recent upgrades from Mark Horton, was to a superb UNC F71. Looking at Freeman there is a little number "18" against the F71. Note 18 states: "The obverse on these is really a variant of obverse 7, with a hooked nose and tie ribbon intermediate between that on obverses 7 and 8". I must be honest and say that I can't actually see any differences between the F71 (including the previous one it has replaced) and the other obverse 7's, even through a powerful loupe. Also, the first obviously hooked nose was on Obverse 11. Quote
Iannich48 Posted June 17, 2023 Posted June 17, 2023 The English pennies website has a note about Note 18. 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted June 17, 2023 Posted June 17, 2023 (edited) From the LCA website:- This F71 appears to have an aquiline nose, with a prominent bridge - link - but that's not what I would call a "hooked" nose, as such. This F71 appears to have a normal straight nose, no different to any pre obverse 11 nose link Freeman 106 - I would say this is a "hooked nose" link Edited June 17, 2023 by 1949threepence Quote
Coinery Posted June 17, 2023 Posted June 17, 2023 On 6/16/2023 at 8:06 AM, secret santa said: F39 I’ve just had my first look over your website…that’s a phenomenal body of work. Comprehensive doesn’t quite capture the immensity of it! Well done that man! 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted June 17, 2023 Posted June 17, 2023 14 minutes ago, Coinery said: I’ve just had my first look over your website…that’s a phenomenal body of work. Comprehensive doesn’t quite capture the immensity of it! Well done that man! Sheer class isn't it. I use it very frequently for comparison and research purposes. 2 Quote
Bruce Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 8 hours ago, Coinery said: I’ve just had my first look over your website…that’s a phenomenal body of work. Comprehensive doesn’t quite capture the immensity of it! Well done that man! i bookmarked it in my cell phone, tablet, PC for reference as well. Superb works. 2 Quote
Coinery Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 (edited) 6 hours ago, Bruce said: i bookmarked it in my cell phone, tablet, PC for reference as well. Superb works. Me too Edited June 18, 2023 by Coinery 1 Quote
Zo Arms Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 16 hours ago, Coinery said: I’ve just had my first look over your website…that’s a phenomenal body of work. Comprehensive doesn’t quite capture the immensity of it! Well done that man! Amazing isn't it. And an inspired addition to his main Halfpenny site. 1 1 Quote
Mr T Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 19 hours ago, 1949threepence said: From the LCA website:- This F71 appears to have an aquiline nose, with a prominent bridge - link - but that's not what I would call a "hooked" nose, as such. This F71 appears to have a normal straight nose, no different to any pre obverse 11 nose link Freeman 106 - I would say this is a "hooked nose" link Are those links not loading for anyone else at the moment? Quote
secret santa Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 1 hour ago, Zo Arms said: And an inspired addition to his main Halfpenny site. Thank you for your kind comments but the halfpenny site is very much an afterthought, something to do in Lockdown. Pennies are my main (only) interest. 1 1 Quote
Zo Arms Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 11 minutes ago, secret santa said: Thank you for your kind comments but the halfpenny site is very much an afterthought, something to do in Lockdown. Pennies are my main (only) interest. Apologies. The halfpenny comment was very much, tongue in cheek. Quote
1949threepence Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 21 hours ago, 1949threepence said: From the LCA website:- This F71 appears to have an aquiline nose, with a prominent bridge - link - but that's not what I would call a "hooked" nose, as such. This F71 appears to have a normal straight nose, no different to any pre obverse 11 nose link Freeman 106 - I would say this is a "hooked nose" link 1 hour ago, Mr T said: Are those links not loading for anyone else at the moment? They still work for me, and did so when I first loaded them. Always check links to make sure they work. So, not sure. Maybe there is an issue. Quote
secret santa Posted June 18, 2023 Posted June 18, 2023 2 hours ago, 1949threepence said: They still work for me Me too. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.