copper123 Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 I found a 1862 penny with a 6 over 8 in the birmingham fair recently and bought it for 20p and sold it for £320 beat that lol 1 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 14 minutes ago, copper123 said: I found a 1862 penny with a 6 over 8 in the birmingham fair recently and bought it for 20p and sold it for £320 beat that lol well done - out of interest, do you have a pic? Quote
blakeyboy Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 I sold my 1862 'B' halfpenny for £245, after it fell out of a £1.50 pile of halfpennies. I had to pass it, along with a loupe, to my wife, asking if she could see anything by the lighthouse. "Oh it's a little letter 'B'- is that important?" I really really thought that my hope had made me see things.... Quote
copper123 Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 15 minutes ago, blakeyboy said: I sold my 1862 'B' halfpenny for £245, after it fell out of a £1.50 pile of halfpennies. I had to pass it, along with a loupe, to my wife, asking if she could see anything by the lighthouse. "Oh it's a little letter 'B'- is that important?" I really really thought that my hope had made me see things.... I found a 1862 halfpenny A left to for a fiver well cleaned got £100 for it , dealer looked at me like I was mad giving him £5 for it 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted January 20, 2020 Posted January 20, 2020 On 1/19/2020 at 10:32 AM, secret santa said: Do I detect another fan of the late, great Tony Hancock ? "Aye. It's a braw wee moonlit nicht the noo." 1 Quote
blakeyboy Posted January 21, 2020 Posted January 21, 2020 "Friends all over the world- all over the world! - None in this country, but all over the world!" Timeless. The genius of Galton and Simpson . 1 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted January 21, 2020 Posted January 21, 2020 "We're not all Rob Roys, you know." 2 Quote
1949threepence Posted January 21, 2020 Posted January 21, 2020 40 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said: "We're not all Rob Roys, you know." "A pint - that's very nearly an armful" I've watched a fair bit of Tony Hancock. The man was a comic genius - such immaculate timing, plus perfect combination of comedy and the drudgery of life. Another phrase I remember "Ah, cold sheets, one of the few luxuries left in life" 2 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted January 21, 2020 Posted January 21, 2020 13 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: "A pint - that's very nearly an armful" I've watched a fair bit of Tony Hancock. The man was a comic genius - such immaculate timing, plus perfect combination of comedy and the drudgery of life. Another phrase I remember "Ah, cold sheets, one of the few luxuries left in life" Such a tragedy that he took his own life. 😢 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted January 22, 2020 Posted January 22, 2020 10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said: Such a tragedy that he took his own life. 😢 Absolutely Quote
secret santa Posted January 22, 2020 Posted January 22, 2020 Sunday lunch listening to Hancock's Half Hour was one of my greatest childhood memories. 2 1 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 I don't know if its of any interest, but i came across this pattern 1894 penny the other day , and wondered just how iv'e managed to miss it in all my years of collecting , it is after all listed in Freemans on page 233 Plate xiv Pic. B terrible picture though. It looks to be the same reverse as the 2mm 1895 but has an unusual looking boat on the right. http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Great_Britain_1894_penny_KM-790 8 Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 9 minutes ago, mrbadexample said: Good boat that! All right maybe even a ship. 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 52 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said: I don't know if its of any interest, but i came across this pattern 1894 penny the other day , and wondered just how iv'e managed to miss it in all my years of collecting , it is after all listed in Freemans on page 233 Plate xiv Pic. B terrible picture though. It looks to be the same reverse as the 2mm 1895 but has an unusual looking boat on the right. http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Great_Britain_1894_penny_KM-790 Looks almost like 2 boats, side by side. Anyway, thanks for the pic, Terry. Quote
mrbadexample Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 7 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said: All right maybe even a ship. Regardless of what it's called, it's way better than the one they went for. Quote
secret santa Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 It's always been pictured on my varieties website. 2 Quote
Chingford Posted January 24, 2020 Posted January 24, 2020 11 minutes ago, secret santa said: It's always been pictured on my varieties website. Victoria (1837-1901) Pattern Penny Ref 23/238 Price £3,875.00 Wt. 9.45g., 1894, obv. by T. Brock, rev. by G. W. de Saulles, in bronze, veiled bust left, normal legend, rev. Britannia seated right, large sailing ship by feet, edge plain, BMC 2065; Gouby PV; F.776 [R18]; S.3955, of the highest rarity, brilliant, toned, Exe C. W. Peck collection, sold by Spink, 1964-68 and M. J. Freeman, Christie's, 23 October 1984, (248). practically as struck Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted January 25, 2020 Posted January 25, 2020 12 hours ago, secret santa said: It's always been pictured on my varieties website. I should have gone to Specsavers. 1 1 Quote
1949threepence Posted January 25, 2020 Posted January 25, 2020 12 hours ago, secret santa said: It's always been pictured on my varieties website. So it is Richard. I get so used to just looking on your rarest pennies website, that I forget about your varieties one. Quote
secret santa Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 London Coins auction Feb/Mar 2020 - beware Lot 1438 which I believe to be a F763 (more common than F8B) and Lot 1444 which appears to be an F22 with missing top leaf but when you look at pictures from the earlier sale referred to, the top leaf is clearly visible. 1 Quote
oldcopper Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 (edited) On 1/24/2020 at 11:12 PM, Chingford said: Victoria (1837-1901) Pattern Penny Ref 23/238 Price £3,875.00 Wt. 9.45g., 1894, obv. by T. Brock, rev. by G. W. de Saulles, in bronze, veiled bust left, normal legend, rev. Britannia seated right, large sailing ship by feet, edge plain, BMC 2065; Gouby PV; F.776 [R18]; S.3955, of the highest rarity, brilliant, toned, Exe C. W. Peck collection, sold by Spink, 1964-68 and M. J. Freeman, Christie's, 23 October 1984, (248). practically as struck I recall one went for ~$15,000 at a Stacks and Bowers auction several years ago, about 2014. I wished I'd bid on the London Coins one from a few years before that which went for ~£1600 hammer. From memory. Were they making Dreadnoughts then? I think I read that's what the ship is somewhere. Maybe the same coin that MR sold in his list above. Edited February 6, 2020 by oldcopper Quote
oldcopper Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 53 minutes ago, oldcopper said: I recall one went for ~$15,000 at a Stacks and Bowers auction several years ago, about 2014. I wished I'd bid on the London Coins one from a few years before that which went for ~£1600 hammer. From memory. Were they making Dreadnoughts then? I think I read that's what the ship is somewhere. Maybe the same coin that MR sold in his list above. Sorry! it's not a dreadnought, it's got sails of course. I should have reminded myself. I think the dreadnought's on a later pattern penny. Quote
terrysoldpennies Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 The only battle ship one I can think of on a penny was the mono faced Edward viii Reverse . 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.