British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

England Frightened Of Scottish Indepemdence

Maybe, but we'll all know where to go for our duty-free whisky! :D

You'll need a Visa AC :D
I'm suddenly all in favour of an independent Scotland! I've got a Visa Debit, can I buy cheap single malt with that? ;) Edited by Coinery

Maybe, but we'll all know where to go for our duty-free whisky! :D

You'll need a Visa AC :D
I'm suddenly all in favour of an independent Scotland! I've got a Visa Debit, can I buy cheap single malt with that? ;)

Lol, we might not Take English currency ;)

Haha, I wondered how long it would take for the great 'Scottish' actor Mel Gibson to make an appearance! :D

Of course you could have called on that other famous Scottish actor, Sean Connery, but he wouldn't want to give up his tax-exile status by setting foot in the bonnie land! :lol:

Edited by Accumulator

Haha, I wondered how long it would take for the great 'Scottish' actor Mel Gibson to make an appearance! :D

Of course you could have called on that other famous Scottish actor, Sean Connery, but he wouldn't want to give up his tax-exile status by setting foot in the bonnie land! :lol:

Same goes for sportsmen AC, Lewis Hamilton for example. When you earn millions a year you don't want to pay such silly things such as tax, just google it with your starbucks coffee :D $$$$ you like what i did there?

Correct, just like America and China who also Trade with the EU, so as i said, i can only see obstacles being put in front of an Independent Scotland during the run up. Will be nice to become a Dubai type oasis with all our oil reserves, wonder how much an Independent Scotland would charge England for some of the Black stuff, bespring in mind we won't be part of the EU at that point ;)

Yes, China and the US also trade with the EU, but the scale of that trade is many orders of magnitude beyond that of Scotland. Also, their trade is subject to border controls and customs, which seems to me would apply to Scotland also.

It's not a matter of obstacles being put in front of Scotland, more a matter of explaining what a 'yes' decison means. Surely the Scottish voters need to know exactly what will happen if they say 'yes' rather than rely on the SNPs biased view of what might happen? The issue of the use of the pound was never a question of 'bullying', a ridiculous charge from the SNP, but rather a statement of reality for Scots to consider. Nobody is saying they must vote 'no', but are saying if they vote 'yes' there are consequences, one of which would be no currency union. Ditto the issue of the EU. It seems to me that Barosso has spelled out reality. Scots can Ignore it if they wish, but can't now claim that they were not told what would happen if they vote 'yes.'

As for the oil, it isn't Scotland's. Scotland will have a tax take on it, but the actual brent crude will be traded in the world's oil market, so Scotland wouldn't be charging the UK any more for it than it costs at present (within the obvious variations of the market price).

My favourite film of all time!

Fav bit is when he rides back into the village after the slaughter of his bride! Oh, man, the cinematography, those slow steps of the horse, the snorting of the horse, close up of the steam from the nostrils...a real calm before the storm scene and, dare I say, the expressionless look on MG's face is pretty darn cool too!

Having said that, I've always quite liked Mel...better than the Kevin Kostner version of Robin Hood, though still a great film! :)

Correct, just like America and China who also Trade with the EU, so as i said, i can only see obstacles being put in front of an Independent Scotland during the run up. Will be nice to become a Dubai type oasis with all our oil reserves, wonder how much an Independent Scotland would charge England for some of the Black stuff, bespring in mind we won't be part of the EU at that point ;)

I thought that most of the oil is off the Shetlands and the previous time independence came up the Shetlands said they would stay with the English.

I thought that most of the oil is off the Shetlands and the previous time independence came up the Shetlands said they would stay with the English.

Hmm. Shades of Alaska?

Anyway, if the Scots raised the price of Brent crude it wouldn't make a lot of difference at the pumps given how much Dick Turpin George Osborne takes in fuel duty.

Hmm. Shades of Alaska?

Anyway, if the Scots raised the price of Brent crude it wouldn't make a lot of difference at the pumps given how much Dick Turpin George Osborne takes in fuel duty.

Quite right. The extortionate quantities of money taken by all governments just so they can buy votes and help their mates is excessive. Reduce the tax take and reduce the handouts, irrespective of the direction they are heading. Most vibrant economies are so because of less, not more government intervention which is invariably skewed with a view to political gain. Remove the bias and we could all do better.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

i don't know any Shetlanders, but my Orcadian friends feel far more Scandinavian than Scottish

Lol, Shetland being part of England is like saying Mexico is part of the USA :blink:

If the Shetlanders and her surrounding waters did want to stay within the UK, and the UK saw that as strategic/beneficial, maybe we could have our first war sooner than we thought? I reckon the relationship between England and Scotland could be whipped into a mindless storm far quicker than that between England and France? Just a couple of thugs stiring up some riots on the border, and who knows what could happen?

I mean, look at the garza strip, Northern Ireland, the Falklands? None of them existing peaceably!

i don't know any Shetlanders, but my Orcadian friends feel far more Scandinavian than Scottish

It's my impression that the same can be said about the Shetlanders. I believe Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles are talking about home rule should Scotland split from the UK. They obviously know which side their bread is buttered.

Edited by Gary1000

Orkney only became part of Scotland in 1472 due to a failed dowry payment, before that it was Norwegian. Shetland is part of a similar case.

Islands referendum petition launched

David

To sign the petition, it is not necessary to be a current resident on one of the islands, say those behind the petition.

We believe that it is up to islanders to decide, and that now is the time to do so.

A bit contradictoray don't you think lol

To sign the petition, it is not necessary to be a current resident on one of the islands, say those behind the petition.

We believe that it is up to islanders to decide, and that now is the time to do so.

A bit contradictoray don't you think lol

Perhaps we should just send the army in and hold a flash referendum.

I was going to reply with we live in a democratice country and not a dictatorship, but i'll have to rethink that one

I was going to reply with we live in a democratice country and not a dictatorship, but i'll have to rethink that one

I think you will find we are a constitutional monarchy that pretends to be a democracy

I think you will find we are a constitutional monarchy that pretends to be a democracy

We have a constitution? :o

just the phrase, still think the Queen should declare herself Queen of France though.

and besides, can we annex the islands if they want to stay with England and Scotland refuse?

if scoltand won't be allowed the Euro or the Pound, will it be back to

merks

shillings

bawbee

plaks

bodles

just the phrase, still think the Queen should declare herself Queen of France though.

and besides, can we annex the islands if they want to stay with England and Scotland refuse?

if scoltand won't be allowed the Euro or the Pound, will it be back to

merks

shillings

bawbee

plaks

bodles

Ah gash, you forgot hardheads, turners an' hatpieces.

We have a constitution? :o

The Magna Carta is about as close as your going to likely get.