will1976 Posted June 26, 2020 Posted June 26, 2020 For some reason I can't add pictures at the moment. 🤔 Quote
will1976 Posted August 3, 2023 Posted August 3, 2023 Latest addition to my Kempson Bath series, extremely pleased with this one, Somerset D&H70. These are the sellers pics 4 Quote
TomGoodheart Posted August 4, 2023 Posted August 4, 2023 A so-called "War and Peace" medal from the reign of Charles I. Struck in accordance with the views of Charles after the defeat of Waller and the surrender of Bristol to Prince Rupert, when Charles summoned his Council "to consider how these great blessings in war might be applied to the procuring a happy peace." Obverse, a laureate bust of Charles, reverse a sword and olive branch, crossed between crowned initials. The legend IN VTRVM QVE PARATVS signifies the King was 'prepared for both', i.e. peace or war. Date below. MI 308/134 29mm. Thomas Rawlins' initial under the bust. There are a few variations of this medal, with this being the commonest. 4 Quote
TomGoodheart Posted August 4, 2023 Posted August 4, 2023 This by comparison, is rare, hence the condition! A 'Military and Naval Forces' medal. Supposedly struck at a time Charles was demanding better funding from Parliament to enable him to rule by sea and land. Issued in 1628 at a time England was much concerned with the siege of the Huguenot city of la Rochelle by the Catholic forces of Louis XIII. Charles was keen to bolster Protestant interests in Europe and Buckingham was allowed to raise forces to supposedly support the Huguenots. However this went poorly and Buckingham was forced to return to England. Charles blamed Parliament for not providing the finances to reinforce Buckingham's expedition. The medal shows Charles with a radiate crown. The reverse, a sceptre and trident intertwined REGIT VNVS VTROQVE sends the message 'one rules with both', ie sceptre and trident. The design of this medal is by Briot, with a sideways B as signature below Charles' bust. Traditionally this medal has also been suggested as a pattern for a shilling, but although silver versions exist, there's no evidence I've seen to suggest this was ever taken further than a possible proposal. MI 250/26, 29mm. 4 Quote
Paulus Posted August 5, 2023 Posted August 5, 2023 (edited) On 8/3/2023 at 10:20 PM, will1976 said: On 8/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, will1976 said: Latest addition to my Kempson Bath series, extremely pleased with this one, Somerset D&H70. These are the sellers pics Very nice Will. I'm also collecting Kempson's Coventry buildings (along with Bath and Birmingham), I don't have an example of that one yet. Here's my little collection of Coventry buildings so far Edited August 5, 2023 by Paulus 7 Quote
will1976 Posted August 6, 2023 Posted August 6, 2023 On 8/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, Paulus said: Very nice Will. I'm also collecting Kempson's Coventry buildings (along with Bath and Birmingham), I don't have an example of that one yet. There are some lovely examples there, I particularly like the whitefriars one with it's rich chocolate tone. I've started to collect the brass examples of the Birmingham series, 5 so far plus one that turned out to be a gilt copper! Have you considered collecting the Gloucester penny series? Being that little bit larger makes for some excellent detail 1 Quote
will1976 Posted September 27, 2023 Posted September 27, 2023 Very occasionally eBay produces the goods. The photos was quite dark but I decided to take a punt and I'm pleased I did, Middlesex DH801 3 Quote
alfnail Posted January 7, 2025 Posted January 7, 2025 Does anyone know how I can get a free download of Dalton and Hamer please, maybe a link that works? Quote
will1976 Posted January 7, 2025 Posted January 7, 2025 2 hours ago, alfnail said: Does anyone know how I can get a free download of Dalton and Hamer please, maybe a link that works? www.scribd.com has a downloadable version but I'm unable to add a link (possible as I'm on my phone?) Quote
alfnail Posted January 7, 2025 Posted January 7, 2025 Thanks, I tried that, but still couldn't seem to find anything to download Quote
will1976 Posted January 7, 2025 Posted January 7, 2025 Try cutting and pasting this into your browser https://www.scribd.com/document/206664745/The-provincial-token-coinage-of-the-18th-century-illustrated-by-R-Dalton-and-S-H-Hamer It works for me on my phone, still don't have my laptop with me Quote
will1976 Posted January 7, 2025 Posted January 7, 2025 11 minutes ago, alfnail said: Thanks, I tried that, but still couldn't seem to find anything to download Just posted a link, seems to have worked this time. Hope you can use it Quote
alfnail Posted January 8, 2025 Posted January 8, 2025 Thanks Will, that has worked fine, although I had to sign up to Scribd at £10 a month after a free 30 day trial. Hoping easy to cancel before then! 🤔 Quote
will1976 Posted January 8, 2025 Posted January 8, 2025 37 minutes ago, alfnail said: Thanks Will, that has worked fine, although I had to sign up to Scribd at £10 a month after a free 30 day trial. Hoping easy to cancel before then! 🤔 Hopefully so. I have the book but I may looking into getting a electronic version Quote
Peckris 2 Posted January 8, 2025 Posted January 8, 2025 4 hours ago, alfnail said: Thanks Will, that has worked fine, although I had to sign up to Scribd at £10 a month after a free 30 day trial. Hoping easy to cancel before then! 🤔 I did the same - but when I went to cancel they asked me choose “why” … then extended my free trial for another 30 days! And again - I think I got 3 months free altogether. Quote
Citizen H Posted March 3, 2025 Posted March 3, 2025 my local "Antiques Fair" has been far than that, the guy who has a box of this and that coins he keep to one side and normally has some hammered coins the lower end but affordable and hes a great guy to know....second time he didn't turn up and Ive been offered first dibs on some Russian silver coins 1800's since Jan...... another dealer who has coins but its all modern nickels and I dont get on with these... I did find a token but keep me busy ..... a brass Fruit & Bell one arm bandit games token... and I did find at the bottom of it all a King George III 1738-1820 Wellington Alexander Bulcher Peace 1814 Medal..... with out this a waste of Sunday !?!?!??! 2 Quote
scottishmoney Posted March 6, 2025 Posted March 6, 2025 Big piece of British bronze from the Birmingham Workhouse - quite possibly the largest numismatic object struck for actual circulation by Matthew Boulton's steam powered machinery - this weighs almost 2.5 ounces. 8 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted March 12, 2025 Posted March 12, 2025 (edited) .. Edited March 12, 2025 by Peckris 2 Quote
scottishmoney Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 Gotta love the large pennies from early in the reign of Victoria: 7 Quote
Ukstu Posted February 20 Posted February 20 On 1/7/2025 at 11:20 AM, alfnail said: Does anyone know how I can get a free download of Dalton and Hamer please, maybe a link that works? If anyone is still after this let me know i have a digital copy you can have. Stu. 1 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted February 21 Posted February 21 19 hours ago, Ukstu said: If anyone is still after this let me know i have a digital copy you can have. Stu. Yes please - PM me. Quote
Bronze & Copper Collector Posted February 22 Posted February 22 On 2/20/2026 at 12:59 PM, Ukstu said: If anyone is still after this let me know i have a digital copy you can have. Stu. Hi, I sold my hardcopy and would appreciate a digital copy for reference. Message me for my email. Thanks, Gary Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.