British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Mine is very similar - very clever, although there seems to be signs of activity.

1339343929_1933altereddatezoom.jpg.b8225de280d5eee2a48751a33e61bbe5.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting. Given it's the second time in a week, it appears Newton Abbot is a hotbed for purveyors of dodgy pennies. I hope the second half of this seller's name doesn't share a surname with the first. Perish the thought.

5 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

That does not like right at all, luckily.

Yes, there will be much less trouble if all fakes are so obvious.

Listing has now been ended by the seller. I messaged them yesterday again pointing out it was an obvious fake - I don't know if this had any effect.

• Like 1

I also messaged him yesterday saying that I was going to contact Ebay today. The combination seems to have worked.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 8:22 AM, Paddy said:

Listing has now been ended by the seller. I messaged them yesterday again pointing out it was an obvious fake - I don't know if this had any effect.

me too - he actually replied and asked what made me think it was a fake!

• Like 1

Anyone able to verify these are fake? Price seems too good to be true for Gothic Florins. It's not a series I own any of yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204521570729

30 minutes ago, SilverAge3 said:

Anyone able to verify these are fake? Price seems too good to be true for Gothic Florins. It's not a series I own any of yet.

Surface of the coin is rough....but the most curious is the seller already sold 15pc, n have 8pc on sale.  It's not often if not rare you can have so many same year Gothic Florin in collection.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SilverAge3 said:

The description says they are copies, so no deception there.

1864 die 64 is the standard Chinese copy and has been around for a few years now. Other copies may be available.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob said:

The description says they are copies, so no deception there.

1864 die 64 is the standard Chinese copy and has been around for a few years now. Other copies may be available.

Ok, thanks

You beat me to it, Jerry!

I was just about to alert forum members to its relisting.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, Old Money said:

Done, with supporting information/facts (Reported to Ebay)

But, as Jerry says, it's back again.

I've just tried to report it to Ebay but got switched to a Police Action Fraud site - they're obviously not going to bother with something like this.

... And now it's been taken down by the seller due to "an error in the listing". Some error!!

39 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

... And now it's been taken down by the seller due to "an error in the listing". Some error!!

Operator error - faulty moral compass.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Martinminerva said:

.. And now it's been taken down by the seller due to "an error in the listing". Some error!!

That's the second time he's taken it down - probably hoping that no-one will notice.

Let's face it, I would not believe it if a genuine 1933 penny came up for sale on eBay. Just so rare, surely auction would be best?

Cannot think where best to get the opinion of you experts but please let me know your thoughts.   I have tried to help the seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176062629565?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OgrcZPeFTfi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=h5XdnfNFTNi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sadly he is using yet  questionable evidence of another error from PGCS .  Drop him a message if you can be bothered .  Thank you 

Sorry sent this three times 

Edited by DrLarry

He bought it from an auction presumably sold as a mule 

Edited by DrLarry

Definitely not the mule and I have messaged him to that effect.

If he can't see that the border on the reverse is toothed, not beaded, he can check on the rocks to the left of the lighthouse. On the beaded reverse, there are 3 distinct rocks, whereas on the toothed there is a single large rock.