British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

Rob Page Henry3.com website???

Does anyone know what’s happened to the amazing resource that was Rob Page’s Henry III website? I believe he was Surrey Coins, but not sure?

The H***y3.com website now appears to be an asian p@rn link (wouldn’t let me use the actual word).

Also Joe Lee's excellent resource website farthingshalfpennyerrors.com seems to no longer exist. It says the domain has expired.

This is one massive downside of online resources compared to printed - the latter will continue to exist and be a resource for decades and more, whilst the former can vanish at the drop of a hat. Pity there doesn't seem to be some form of permanent web archiving... (or is there?)

• Like 1

Build your own databases and get a proper library. Even just copying and pasting the info into your own reference file negates the inherent issues with sites dedicated to a narrow focus. All these nerd sites have one thing in common. When the person responsible loses interest in a field they have researched, so does their interest in keeping the site going. 

• Like 1

You can get the same information from these two documents

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/Henry3.com_website/Rob_Page_Henry_III_ID_-_Part_1.pdf

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/Henry3.com_website/Rob_Page_Henry_III_ID_-_Part_2.pdf

There is a more updated version that joins the two documents online somewhere but i cannot find it. I do have a copy in my G drive of it if you'd like a copy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coinery said:

Does anyone know what’s happened to the amazing resource that was Rob Page’s Henry III website? I believe he was Surrey Coins, but not sure?

The H***y3.com website now appears to be an asian p@rn link (wouldn’t let me use the actual word).

I think this is the same site, on detectornet.

http://www.ukdetectornet.co.uk/H3 Booklet - RP Jan 27th 2018.pdf

Jerry

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rob said:

Build your own databases and get a proper library. Even just copying and pasting the info into your own reference file negates the inherent issues with sites dedicated to a narrow focus. All these nerd sites have one thing in common. When the person responsible loses interest in a field they have researched, so does their interest in keeping the site going. 

A little harsh, Rob…I think the main problem for many is time when it comes to collating quality information at the top level. I like your idea of copying and pasting, but that resource is equally as vulnerable, unless you’re saving it to a cloud, and then even that will disappear again one day.

We need nerds and nerd sites :)Fortunately Rob Page has dropped his knowledge in a hopefully more permanent location!

https://britnumsoc.blog/2019/12/13/a-guide-to-the-long-cross-pennies-of-henry-iii-and-edward-i-rob-page/

Edited by Coinery

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

You can get the same information from these two documents

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/Henry3.com_website/Rob_Page_Henry_III_ID_-_Part_1.pdf

https://www.britnumsoc.org/images/Henry3.com_website/Rob_Page_Henry_III_ID_-_Part_2.pdf

There is a more updated version that joins the two documents online somewhere but i cannot find it. I do have a copy in my G drive of it if you'd like a copy. 

Many thanks for this…I think I’ve just shared the document you were referring to :)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Coinery said:

A little harsh, Rob…I think the main problem for many is time when it comes to collating quality information at the top level. I like your idea of copying and pasting, but that resource is equally as vulnerable, unless you’re saving it to a cloud, and then even that will disappear again one day.

We need nerds and nerd sites :)Fortunately Rob Page has dropped his knowledge in a hopefully more permanent location!

https://britnumsoc.blog/2019/12/13/a-guide-to-the-long-cross-pennies-of-henry-iii-and-edward-i-rob-page/

BNS blogs will be subject to the same issues. You can save it digitally, but also print it out at your convenience. There is no guaranteed permanent repository of research data, but you can scan in printed articles ad infinitum.

27 minutes ago, Rob said:

BNS blogs will be subject to the same issues. You can save it digitally, but also print it out at your convenience. There is no guaranteed permanent repository of research data, but you can scan in printed articles ad infinitum.

I guess as Martin says, the printed medium remains king! Rob Page has said he plans to go to print at some point, so fingers crossed that comes to pass. In the meantime I guess there’s always the option of copy & paste or storing a print copy yourself?

16 hours ago, Coinery said:

Appears it might have last been properly captured August 2020 according to the wayback machine ..

https://web.archive.org/web/20200804172606/http://www.henry3.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main problem I have is finding things like the Numismatic Chronicle from the 1850s in paper form.  Modern reprints are better than the old OCR scanned stuff, but they still seem to mess up the illustrations (which are generally an essential part of what I need).

I could probably afford an original copy if I could find one (the BNJ from 1905 only cost me £30) but I've not found anyone selling. Of course, what I'd really like is offprints to save on shelf space. But the number of sellers of such material isn't great and I suspect a lot of stuff is just shredded. 

pdfs are great for searching for specific terms. But paper is still king for me.

• Like 1

I've got the NC on a CD, but Sod's law saw my computer with a CD drive die soon after I got it. :(

Now I need to find someone with a CD drive to get it onto a memo stick or something I can use to download and print things off before the drives no longer exist.

Fairly easy to get a CD drive stand alone that plugs into the computer via USB. I picked one up at a charity shop for £2!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I've got the NC on a CD, but Sod's law saw my computer with a CD drive die soon after I got it. :(

Now I need to find someone with a CD drive to get it onto a memo stick or something I can use to download and print things off before the drives no longer exist.

As paddy said just get a USB DVD drive, no more than £22 ish. My main PC doesn't have a DVD drive so I use a USB external drive.

• Like 1

I just got a Usb DVD drive off amazon for my daughter for college £13 a few months ago.

If you make a Googlemail account you get an online drive with it. Think its 15gb. I have a folder on that for PDF , ebooks etc. I just file it all in that. I will probably back it up at some point to a tangible source I own. 

Yes, I keep a tangible copy of everything important. I even have all my favourite music on CD.

If, or probably when, the internet goes up in flames for whatever reason, all those people who rely on cloud storage are going to be lost, although that will probably be the least of their worries!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yes, I keep a tangible copy of everything important. I even have all my favourite music on CD.

If, or probably when, the internet goes up in flames for whatever reason, all those people who rely on cloud storage are going to be lost, although that will probably be the least of their worries!

Best way. I still listen to CDs at home. I'll often pop in the charity shops when i am out and about looking for CDs & DVDs.

I am not a big fan of these digital copies. You don't really own them , it's  more like a rental service.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:52 AM, Martinminerva said:

Also Joe Lee's excellent resource website farthingshalfpennyerrors.com seems to no longer exist. It says the domain has expired.

This is one massive downside of online resources compared to printed - the latter will continue to exist and be a resource for decades and more, whilst the former can vanish at the drop of a hat. Pity there doesn't seem to be some form of permanent web archiving... (or is there?)

Had this back from Joe via his ebay presence:

Hello Martin.
I'm afraid it's now gone.
Family commitments, lack of time, and other changes in life.
Sorry, Martin.
Happy collecting.
All the best, Joe.

A real shame with all his wonderful research and photos etc now vanished for evermore unless he chooses to publish in a more permanent format.

Copy and pasting from the net is no option for sites like his - each of his hundreds of photos, enlargements, hyperlinks etc would have had to be individually copied and would have taken hundreds of hours as no doubt building his website did. Thus is the ephemeral nature of the web...  Michael Gouby's website is similarly massive and meticulous; how sad it will be if all that research is one day lost from the net. Oh for books!!

As Paddy says above:

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

I too don't expect the net to last problem free for that many more years!! Books doing well at 2000 years plus and counting 😉

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 9:50 PM, Ukstu said:

I just got a Usb DVD drive off amazon for my daughter for college £13 a few months ago.

If you make a Googlemail account you get an online drive with it. Think its 15gb. I have a folder on that for PDF , ebooks etc. I just file it all in that. I will probably back it up at some point to a tangible source I own. 

Still keep your own copy - last year something went awry and Google was incorrectly classifying people's personal files as pirated content.

• Like 1