Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

i think another and the most important bit is how much the final cheque is for 🙂

Having sold through a few different auctions both coins and banknotes being good to buy from can be different than good to sell with.

its important to look at the total fees as its easy to see prices coins have sold for but important to look at what you would actually receive.

Everything will sell but not much fun if you risk only getting a small percentage of the true value.

That is fair comment. I have sold a few single coins at DNW - the last sold for hammer £150 and I think I received £121.xx. They have a firm 5 week delay before paying off,  which is understandable as they need to see the money clear and handle any issues first.

With a big (and excellent) collection like this you should be able to negotiate a lower seller's commission. In my view all the top coin auction houses will be falling over themselves to get this one on their books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great collection you have there Gary. Looking at the 1933 penny, very nice too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too like the Colin Cooke idea, and think I would move some there if I were to sell. Yikes, I also see quite a few that I like, this being my main era for collecting (despite my nomen).

Good Luck regardless,  but please keep us informed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely quality there, Gary.  There are plenty in your collection that I would happily give a good home to!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say I like the Colin Cooke idea, really don't like the idea of having to wind them through ebay. Didn't someone from CC used to frequent the board at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I must say I like the Colin Cooke idea, really don't like the idea of having to wind them through ebay. Didn't someone from CC used to frequent the board at one time.

Yes, Neil Paisley, he now works with Baldwins but I think is still a director of CC.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I must say I like the Colin Cooke idea, really don't like the idea of having to wind them through ebay. Didn't someone from CC used to frequent the board at one time.

Yes Neil paisley but he has moved on to Baldwin & Baldwin ST.James you would need to speak to Lee who now runs Colin Cooke.

 

Edited by PWA 1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 9:33 PM, Gary D said:

Over the last few months I have been recording my collection. Shortly before leaving my previous employer I had put my entire collection under the inspection microscope and photographed them. Although the resolutuion is great the end results have been mixed in that the colours have come out understated and many of the proofs show a flat field where it should be mirrored. Another problem has been that some coins have taken a purple ting which I believe is a fault on the file saving process. Anyway I was made redundent so I'm unable to repeat any of the picture.

 

Anyway for what it's worth here it is.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=943941AD323D5647!135&cid=943941AD323D5647

Gary what programme did you use to record your collection?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Neil paisley but he has moved on to Baldwin & Baldwin ST.James you would need to speak to Lee who now runs Colin Cooke.

 

Lee Brownson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

I must say I like the Colin Cooke idea, really don't like the idea of having to wind them through ebay. Didn't someone from CC used to frequent the board at one time.

Neil's forum name is NRP and he last logged in a fortnight ago. I think he still owns Colin Cooke.

Colin Cooke's website has catalogues (with photos and realised prices) of the 10 "collections" they sold in the last few years.

http://www.colincooke.com/collections/collections.html

 

Edited by Sword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hazelman said:

Gary what programme did you use to record your collection?

 

I used turbocad for the grid then saved a a jpg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Iannich48 said:

What a great collection you have there Gary. Looking at the 1933 penny, very nice too.

Yes I much prefer an altered day that's had a bit of love put into it than a chinese fake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to get a snide (although a decent one) of the 1933 1d...I left a gap in my collection for the real thing....every hope full.

I need to check my Euro millions ticket...Lottery have been trying to urgently contact me :rolleyes:.

With regard to selling, from what I can see, the majority of the value of your collection rests with the minority of coins. It would be easy to feed these into the system as and when you need a cash injection.

I'm also sure if you listed the more bread and butter coins...maybe denomination at a time on forums/facebook etc you will get bites although maybe a lot of hassle.

Chris I'm sure would also give you a good bang for your buck on outright purchase or commission basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I had to get a snide (although a decent one) of the 1933 1d...I left a gap in my collection for the real thing....every hope full.

I need to check my Euro millions ticket...Lottery have been trying to urgently contact me :rolleyes:.

With regard to selling, from what I can see, the majority of the value of your collection rests with the minority of coins. It would be easy to feed these into the system as and when you need a cash injection.

I'm also sure if you listed the more bread and butter coins...maybe denomination at a time on forums/facebook etc you will get bites although maybe a lot of hassle.

Chris I'm sure would also give you a good bang for your buck on outright purchase or commission basis.

Although with that said, CC do sell standard coins as a matter of course, so no reason why all of Gary's collection couldn't be lumped into one (as I see it any rate). Maybe Neil could give us a heads up if he reads this thread.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I haven't logged on over Christmas, but do usually follow the forum regularly.

I apologise as I have only just read his thread. With regard to CC doing an auction for a collection, it is completely dependent on what they think the collection will achieve. 

The reason for this is that they can't do a monthly sales list due to the time involved in cataloguing the collection and the time it takes for the auction to run it's cause. As they won't likely charge a sellers commission and in the past have only charged 15 % buyers premium it would need to realise a figure of say 100k + to make it worthwhile. It would be lee's call entirely but that is what he is likely to say.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Lovely quality there, Gary.  There are plenty in your collection that I would happily give a good home to!

Join the queue!! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Join the queue!! 😁

No pushing in, Nons... 😉😁:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×