British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

My Latest Acquisition

I'd go as far as 04, 05, 06, 07, sometimes the 09 is a bit mulshy too. There's a stark contrast in quality from the design change using the veiled head to Eddy's bust, they really couldn't get their heads around it for many years after.

31 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Most of the 1905,1906 are weak to the reverse Mike even if BU.

25 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I'd go as far as 04, 05, 06, 07, sometimes the 09 is a bit mulshy too. There's a stark contrast in quality from the design change using the veiled head to Eddy's bust, they really couldn't get their heads around it for many years after.

I know many aren't good, but this one is exceptionally bad. The "wear" on Britannia looks like 15 years worth.

Anyway, it just kind of proves Colin's point that the look, is not indicative of the grade.  

• Like 2

TBH that 1906 penny looks cleaned as well are you sure its near unc?

Perfect example of a badly struch edwardian bronze coin

Obverse of the 1888 groat lets it down big time though the reverse is great

7 minutes ago, copper123 said:

What indicates that it has been cleaned?

25 minutes ago, IanB said:

What indicates that it has been cleaned?

I'd guess he's referring to the dark red colour. However I don't think it is and I'd have faith in Mike's opinion as he has the coin in hand and is a seasoned collector.

15 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I'd guess he's referring to the dark red colour.

Maybe. I am always just amazed how these things are recognised. I would have said it looks okay, and its never easy telling from a picture what the real colour of a coin is.

I am going to put it out there and make a point that I often see on here someone put a coin up for others to see and sometimes the reply comment is just "cleaned" or "dipped" with no further explanation. 

It would be good if the person replying gives a bit of a reason why. I enjoy learning from everyone on the forum, but I think it can put some people off from posting if things are explained rather than just cleaned or dipped.

Edited by IanB

7 minutes ago, IanB said:

Maybe. I am always just amazed how these things are recognised. I would have said it looks okay, and its never easy telling from a picture what the real colour of a coin is.

I am going to put it out there and make a point that I often see on here someone put a coin up for others to see and sometimes the reply comment is just "cleaned" or "dipped" with no further explanation. 

It would be good if the person replying gives a bit of a reason why. I enjoy learning from everyone on the forum, but I think it can put some people off from posting if things are explained rather than just cleaned or dipped.

Fully agree with you there. Sometimes one forgets that people don't necessarily know what you're talking about (especially when it's your area of knowledge) and it's unintentionally assumed, but if you see any like that, question it like you did :) someone will hopefully elaborate.

39 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Perfect example of a badly struch edwardian bronze coin

Obverse of the 1888 groat lets it down big time though the reverse is great

No, it's not cleaned - that's for definite. The coin is lustrous, but just worn looking. As Matt & Pete said, many of the Edward VII pennies have very poor reverses, probably due to inferior dies.

I first uploaded the pic of that coin back in February 2013, when the issue arose on the first page of this thread 

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

No, it's not cleaned - that's for definite. The coin is lustrous, but just worn looking. As Matt & Pete said, many of the Edward VII pennies have very poor reverses, probably due to inferior dies.

I first uploaded the pic of that coin back in February 2013, when the issue arose on the first page of this thread 

knew I had seen that coin somewhere! Thanks, that was niggling at the back of my mind :D 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IanB said:

More often than not Ian from my limited experience a cleaned coin (on bronze) will show even colour and shine that is different than lustre .

Also the letters maybe different as not cleaned inside/around  etc.

Overall though the coin will be shiny if thats the right word or dull but all the same colour.

Alternatively you will spot small patches were the coin has been worked on specific parts.

Under 20X magnification and gently moving the coin will show residue or signs such as rubbing ,minute scratches.

Hard to tell from pictures sometimes ^_^

You will also notice dark patches or alternatively the coin being a pink colour were it has been treated with an acid based product (vinegar)or patches from something like verdicare.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

If you have the time Ian, buy some cheap cleaning supplies and get to work on some crappy QEIIs, you'll get to know what they look like using different methods and also the limits of cleaning a coin. Here's a pic of one I had where you can see around the legends where it was cleaned a while ago, it has that 'halo' look to it which you just don't get from natural toning.

1.png

As an add on some coins show signs of things that are due to storage issues and one side a different colour.

These have not been cleaned but will show as greenish colour /lines, marks and oxidisation mainly with copper .

Suppose this needs a thread of its own but signs of blue on bronze or sheen from laquer are better looked at twice.

Edited by PWA 1967

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Suppose this needs a thread of its own

I like the sound of that. Maybe members could post examples of cleaned / dipped coins such as Matt's halo coin above and then take some of us less experiences collectors through what to look for.

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

What do you reckon on this one Colin? @Colin G.

1903_fa_02_1300.png

Looks good, all the usual places for initial wear seem okay. The edge at 9 on the Obverse looks a bit tatty, is that excess metal or damage to the edge? It is the low tide year as well for farthings.

19 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Another new one for the 1888 set. Not sure I am quite as happy with this one, another eBay purchase. My pictures don't really do this justice, it does look better. I have graded this as Near EF. Your input welcome please.

1888 Groat 4d Rev.jpg1888 Groat 4d Obv.jpg

Don't forget this one also has small coin syndrome compared to your last, but I agree the Reverse looks much better than the Obverse.

2 hours ago, IanB said:

I like the sound of that. Maybe members could post examples of cleaned / dipped coins such as Matt's halo coin above and then take some of us less experiences collectors through what to look for.

Yes agreed Ian,although could go on forever :)

Another pointer on copper is the high points having a silver colour is a give away that its had a good rub :o

7 hours ago, Colin G. said:

Looks good, all the usual places for initial wear seem okay. The edge at 9 on the Obverse looks a bit tatty, is that excess metal or damage to the edge? It is the low tide year as well for farthings.

Just a bit of excess metal I think :)

• Like 1

As we are on the subject of farthings heres one  my edward collection 1909

the obverse is close to perfect

1909obv.jpg

1909rev.jpg

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

1909obv.jpg

1909rev.jpg

It might be worth your while comparing this with Paulus's coin (above). The hair detail looks to be worn away on your coin, though I suppose it may be that it was struck from a knackered die?

• Like 1

yes that is more likely , as you can see its got almost full black lustre

a nice reverse well struck dark finish

1901rev.jpg

6 hours ago, copper123 said:

It doesn't look it, to be honest with you :ph34r:

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Those images have been taken with a scanner by their appearance which will make the coins look quite flat in terms of hair detail etc. You can see that there is wear on the Reverse of the 1909, however it would be difficult to call the other two on the individual images alone, without seeing them in hand. There is definite loss of lustre and what looks like wear across the ear on the 1909 Obverse. Whereas the 1901 could just be some rubbing that has led to the loss of lustre at the highest points.

At long last the final few coins from my 1899 set the Maundy coins thanks to @Colin G. for supplying them for me.all have been entombed and graded. Let here what you think guy please.

1899 Maundy 1d Obv300.jpg1899 Maundy 1d Rev300.jpg

1899 Maundy 2d Obv300.jpg1899 Maundy 2d Rev300.jpg

1899 Maundy 3d Obv300.jpg1899 Maundy 3d Rev300.jpg

1899 Maundy 4d Obv300.jpg1899 Maundy 4d Rev300.jpg

• Like 3