British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Would just like to say and not being an expert.

I am sick to death of returning coins that are overgraded. Well known coin dealers sending me coins that are e/f but describing them as unc.Worse still cleaned or junk ,however these dealers still want top price.

• Like 1

I hear you. Once bitten, twice shy, etc. etc.

Years ago (pre interweb) I bought a 1700 halfpenny from a postal dealer's list. Described as 'fine' the coin received was one of the worst washers I'd ever seen. Returned, of course. Thankfully, there have only been one or two further postal disasters since. These too were returned. Now, I'm not saying these dealers were using Photoshop to tweak their images, but I'll leave it to you to make up your own mind….

Back in the 1960's there were a few coin dealers that erred on the safe side when grading their coins. Mainly the top London dealers and one other. I knew if I bought a coin from "Grantham Coins" it would have been at least and usually better than the grade advertised. I recall buying an 1868 penny in GEF that would now be graded by most dealers as Gem UNC. (I remember receiving it through the post and was over the moon when seeing it!, highest grade Victorian bun in my collection.)

I don't know if Grantham Coins is still operating?? I don't recall the owners name, but I bet somebody remembers it !

I don't know if Grantham Coins is still operating?? I don't recall the owners name, but I bet somebody remembers it !

Peter Wallwork stopped a few years ago (I acquired his library 2 or 3 years ago). I think he is doing property development(?) now.

Of course praise when praise is due. All of the coins I have brought from Colonial Coins of Adelaide St., Brisbane have been better than their stated grade by about half a grade. The coin shown was graded at VF by the dealer but I think GVF is closer to the mark. I think grading standards may be more severe in Australia than in the UK which may account for this however this would not apply to all dealers. I forget what I paid for the coin but from what I remember it seemed reasonable at the time.

post-8305-0-44918400-1412890500_thumb.jp

post-8305-0-89948000-1412890526_thumb.jp

Yes after my rant yesterday would like to say colin cooke coins have always been spot on and having slabbed over thirty i have purchased through them,all graded as they were sold to me.

Years ago (pre interweb) I bought a 1700 halfpenny from a postal dealer's list. Described as 'fine' the coin received was one of the worst washers I'd ever seen. Returned, of course. Thankfully, there have only been one or two further postal disasters since. These too were returned. Now, I'm not saying these dealers were using Photoshop to tweak their images, but I'll leave it to you to make up your own mind….

Yes, I bought (only once!) from a certain "big time" Coin News advertiser. Both items seemed absolute bargains - a 1797 twopence EF, and an 1854 penny GEF. The first was VF (I already had one AVF) and the second was NEF at best. The prices charged were probably fair for the actual coins, but they weren't the advertised grades!

Yes after my rant yesterday would like to say colin cooke coins have always been spot on and having slabbed over thirty i have purchased through them,all graded as they were sold to me.

Really? I think their coins are often way over-graded. Not as good as they used to be.

Really? I think their coins are often way over-graded. Not as good as they used to be.
I wouldn't be so bold, Hugo, but, I have to say, PWA's comment has surprised me.

I wouldn't be so bold, Hugo, but, I have to say, PWA's comment has surprised me.

Me too, I think it is very rare to find any seller (be it an eBay seller, casual dealer, established dealer, or auction house) who doesn't oversell the coin a little (or a lot). This can be the grade that in their opinion should be attributed, the absence of some key info in the listing, overly-flattering pics, or even (dare I say it) 'photo-shopped' pics. I have a short list of sellers I trust totally to be honest with their listings and/or accept no-quibble returns ... most of them (of course) are on here :)

I have a short list of sellers I trust totally to be honest with their listings and/or accept no-quibble returns ... most of them (of course) are on here :)

Totally agree with you, Sir!

Whilst I've rarely bought from dealers, mostly on account of trying to buy a coin for a bargain, rather than at its present market value, I have to say, and it does no harm at all to say this, I've always been extremely impressed with John (where is he) and Rob! Both have been reliable in description and grade. Also, whilst I've only bought ultra modern stuff from Chris (forum), that too has been absolutely faultless!

Another chap who has sold me a fair few coins over time, and has an ultra-honest heart on his sleeve, is Declan!

I feel safe to say I'd happily cough-up myself if you couldn't get a real deal, or send a coin back, to any of the four I've mentioned!

• Like 1

With due respect every coin is pictured on our website over £20 and we do not enhance our pictures in any way. Our grades are guides because everyone grades differently but usually our customers think our coins are better in the flesh than in the pictures. We send on full approval to known customers and I go out of my way to make it easy for someone to return a coin which is very seldom.

In a nutshell, as a collector and buyer, all I would like to have latitude to negotiate on is the price. I need to be able to trust that the coin pictured and described is accurately graded (to UK standards), well photographed (or scanned), with any defects or varieties highlighted, and is correctly attributed. If there is a no-quibble return policy then so much the better, but I have only used that on 3 occasions (i.e. it is as described but I have changed my mind)

At the moment (after only 7 years of serious collecting) it is still very caveat emptor (which is fine), but it often means due diligence before parting with decent money, which must involve seeing the coin in hand before buying ... nothing new here I know, photos for distance selling / buying are now the norm, back in the day descriptions alone were all that was required

One benchmark (and only one of the possibilities) is the grade returned if you slab a coin. Another of course is the price achieved when sold (but that is of course subject to market fluctuations).

The difference in value, when selling, between mid-high grade and top grade for many coins gives a lot of latitude to anyone selling to 'big-up' a coin ... there seems to be a massive bubble building at the very top end ... to me Heritage seems like somewhere I would sell one day, but never buy!

Just to say that I bought a coin from Clive on here and was happy with the price and grading.

Just to say that I bought a coin from Clive on here and was happy with the price and grading.

I'm pretty certain I've only ever been 'given' things by Clive? But that's OK! :D

In the 'old days' many coins, even expensive ones, weren't photographed on dealers' lists so grading had to be taken on trust. I also bought quite extensively from Grantham Coins in the 90's and generally their grading was reasonable. Over-graders included D J Traynor (what happened to him?) . These days I'd say Mark Rasmussen was a harsher grader than most - his NVF is most people's VF, Studio Coins of Winchester are good too.

Back on the grading, numerous well known dealers buy from my list every month and then the same coins appear on other dealers lists/sites at a higher grade and price, plus numerous coins I have sold have come back from cgs at near or finest known and I haven't charged a premium for these coins. Sorry to harp on about this but I was a little taken aback by one of the previous comments!!

Wouldn't worry about it Neil.

There aren't many dealers able to source well-priced high end raw coins and certainly not at a rate of a list per month.

Neil, i'm not going to get into bashing anyone here, but i was watching One of your coins on the bay due to it's grade, this is your coin listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171482024169?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D171482024169%26_rdc%3D1

This is graded as GVF but i Have one which to my mind IS GVF, maybe others will think it's Better or that i'm roughly about right in my Assessment, so only curious in the grades of yours to mine.

Here is mine http://omnicoin.com/viewcoin/1028099

I paid less this year for mine, albeit only £50

Edited by azda

Interestingly I am at the Birmingham show as I write this and have just pulled that shilling out of the tray and to be honest I agree with you from the picture but it isn't a good picture of the coin. The coin looks much better in the flesh as the picture makes the coin look rather flat it is definitely one which needs re picturing. At least if somebody does but it from the picture they will be extremely happy when they receive the coin.

Do you Scan your coins or photograph them? Oh and just as an aside, i Have bought from you previously and been happy with what i received, however i cannot say the same for Ingrams (only my opinion)