British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Coins Of England 2014

There have been many comments about how poor the Spink website is, and I completely agree with all of these. I don't even bother to visit their website any longer due to the cookie policy pop-up on every single page visited.

Anyway back to the point. Has anybody else received an email about pre-ordering Coins of England 2014 which provides you a link to do so, but actually just sends you to a generic 'Contact us' webpage. What a shambles!

yes I have recieved the email but the link did not work for me. I often recieve emails from Spink reference Auctions and I quite enjoy looking through the cats but I have not had problems with cookie policy pop-ups. You can block pop up from your browser settings.

I think Spink's attitude to coins and coin collectors alike is summed up by the fact that the owner has gone to live permanently in Hong Kong...its a pity he doesnt want to sell it and to sel it to someone who at least seems interested in coins.

It appears that the only interest they have is banknotes and stamps....certainly not coins and coin collectors.

Their website and anything to do with IT is and always has been a complete shambles.

I was optimisitic when Mike Vessid joined up but that doesnt seem to have made any difference at all coinwise.

I note that this year you can download Coinage of England 2014 from I tunes!!! Not a bad idea it means I will have it on my phone if I have forgotten to bring my book!!!

As for Spink they have no interest anymore in selling coins, they tried with their last circular but let's just say I know where most of those coins came from and they weren't from the right places ;-) I believe there will be no more circulars just auctions!!!

Maybe I will put a bid in for spink but I don't think he will agree to sell for what I can afford ;-) what if all the members on here chip on??

Interesting that Spink would lose interest in coins. If it's true, it must surely be a business decision? So how would others rate these main four auction areas, in terms of market size (and presumably, profitability):

Stamps

Coins

Banknotes

Medals and decorations

I have always assumed that the order would be as listed above. In which case I can see no reason for moving away from coins (other than dropping the retail 'circular'). Or am I missing something?

Interesting that Spink would lose interest in coins.

Spink found wine and are already setting world records, albeit in HK rather than the UK.

Interesting that Spink would lose interest in coins. If it's true, it must surely be a business decision? So how would others rate these main four auction areas, in terms of market size (and presumably, profitability):

Stamps

Coins

Banknotes

Medals and decorations

I have always assumed that the order would be as listed above. In which case I can see no reason for moving away from coins (other than dropping the retail 'circular'). Or am I missing something?

Interesting, because, as you mention, these decisions are generally commercially driven...what does that say for the coin market, as it presently seems to be performing admirably in the general market!

As a major world player in numismatics, have Spinks some hidden insights into future outcomes? I'd personally say, yes, they have...not that this conclusion can be drawn from their recent disinterest in the coin market!

I would personally add that the TPGC's have introduced a massive investment in coins, from those who know nothing whatsoever about collectable coins and, I believe, this has brought about a 'laziness' and complacency in the slabbing industry! This will eventually implode through lack of confidence in the 'product' and drag the market to its knees! Without a new collector base, I believe we'll be able to fill our boots...but investment propositions? Gone! No more!

I note that this year you can download Coinage of England 2014 from I tunes!!! Not a bad idea it means I will have it on my phone if I have forgotten to bring my book!!!

As for Spink they have no interest anymore in selling coins, they tried with their last circular but let's just say I know where most of those coins came from and they weren't from the right places ;-) I believe there will be no more circulars just auctions!!!

Maybe I will put a bid in for spink but I don't think he will agree to sell for what I can afford ;-) what if all the members on here chip on??

I just had a look and all they have is the 2013 edition. It still costs £17.99 :angry: What's more, it's advertised as a hardback. Wonder how THAT gets down the phoneline?

I just had a look and all they have is the 2013 edition. It still costs £17.99 :angry: What's more, it's advertised as a hardback. Wonder how THAT gets down the phoneline?

I had the same problem when I downloaded a couple of books to read on holiday. I almost clicked on the 'hardback' download for £21.99, before I noticed the £4.99 'paperback' alternative! I wonder how many people have thrown money away on that? :(

I had the same problem when I downloaded a couple of books to read on holiday. I almost clicked on the 'hardback' download for £21.99, before I noticed the £4.99 'paperback' alternative! I wonder how many people have thrown money away on that? :(

Am I missing something here? I have never downloaded a book to iTunes so I probably am, but what the smeg is the difference between a 'hardback' download and a 'paperback' download?!

Am I missing something here? I have never downloaded a book to iTunes so I probably am, but what the smeg is the difference between a 'hardback' download and a 'paperback' download?!

As I discovered, absolutely nothing but the price! All downloads should be at the lower price, but sometimes errors are made.

As I discovered, absolutely nothing but the price! All downloads should be at the lower price, but sometimes errors are made.
Well when it is released I will download it and let you know what I think !! With regard to Spink not doing numismatic circulars, they realise that they make far more money from auction, they don't have to outlay any capital and if something doesn't sell they hand it back!! They used to have a lot of staff when they were doing the numismatic circular and when you take the frequency of their circulars and the amount of stock on each one I could never believe they were able to cover all those London salaries!! Therefore someone looked at the whole operation and thought we will save a lot of money if we run a skeleton staff and focus on the auctions!!

"From" not "to", surely?

"From" not "to", surely?

Indeed so

Well when it is released I will download it and let you know what I think !! With regard to Spink not doing numismatic circulars, they realise that they make far more money from auction, they don't have to outlay any capital and if something doesn't sell they hand it back!! They used to have a lot of staff when they were doing the numismatic circular and when you take the frequency of their circulars and the amount of stock on each one I could never believe they were able to cover all those London salaries!! Therefore someone looked at the whole operation and thought we will save a lot of money if we run a skeleton staff and focus on the auctions!!

That makes business sense I guess.

A few years ago when I was far better disposed financially, I remember having serious discussions with a friend of mine who had £millions of disposal income and was, bored about approaching Spink with a view to buying it. It started as pub talk then it dawned on us that we could make it happen.

The furthest we got was talking to Paul Dawson about it....who basically said "get to the back of the queue" as there were any number of people in our position who would like to buy it !....but it wasn't then nor is it now, for sale.

(I'm sure if Peter Simon had had a rummage at the back of his sofa he would have found enough loose change to have bought it)..

Yes, Neil's point is well taken. However, I think Spink is losing "cred" by not having a broader operation and are now relying on fading memories to keep them ahead of the pack of other auctioneers. There used to be a certain magic (or nearly so) to getting a coin off the SNC in their distinctive marked white envelope with descriptive round, often with provenances, etc. included.

I guess those are the good ole days.....

Yes, Neil's point is well taken. However, I think Spink is losing "cred" by not having a broader operation and are now relying on fading memories to keep them ahead of the pack of other auctioneers. There used to be a certain magic (or nearly so) to getting a coin off the SNC in their distinctive marked white envelope with descriptive round, often with provenances, etc. included.

I quite agree because believe it or now there is nobody at spink who really knows anything about coins, one of their ex staff freely admitted it ;-)

I quite agree because believe it or now there is nobody at spink who really knows anything about coins, one of their ex staff freely admitted it ;-)

:o

I've just noticed that the 2014 book is now available for the iPhone.

cheers

Garrett.

I've just noticed that the 2014 book is now available for the iPhone.

cheers

Garrett.

How much, Garrett? :)

$31.99 AUD I think I paid for it.

Cheers