British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SilverAge3

1862 penny with 6/6

Hi

I didn't bid on this ebay (USA, where I'm located) item strong enough to win, sadly, but i think i found a 6/6 in this 1862.  I sent the ebay link to Richard, of PennyVarieties, back in August, after the auction ended. 

He responded with "Well spotted. Looks like a repair to the 6 as none of the other numerals are doubled. Haven't seen this one before." 

It's now just past 90 days, so I don't believe I can pull up the original picture in my laptop to download thd seller's pictures vs the screenshot. Since I didn't win, I won't be able to offer much else, picture-wise (plus my filesize limit required cropping).  It was a fairly pitted specimen, albeit with many details remaining on both sides. I'll see if I can post more of the full obv and rev in comments, if that may be of interest.

Screenshot_20231117-105418_Edited.jpg

Edited by SilverAge3

As you can see, there is quite a lot if porosity to the flan, but also good detail.

Screenshot_20231117-105407_Edited.jpg

Edited by SilverAge3
Typo

Having to split the rev due to file limits.  

I don't seem able to post the bottom half, due to the restrictions, even as a new comment. Might try again later, but with first comment, one can reasonably see both sections.

Screenshot_20231117-105418_Edited_3.jpg

Edited by SilverAge3

Yes, try closing all the pages entirely before trying again. The file limit is a pain in the arse!

• Like 2

Ah, here we are, the full rev

Screenshot_20231117-105418_Edited_1.jpg

Yes, if you reduce the f ile size you shouldn't have any difficulty - there's plenty of software out there which will not only make the image smaller, but also reduce its quality to a still acceptable image.

Yes, I use Arcsoft which is very simple to use to reduce the "density" of the image from 1-100%.

Email the picture to yourself.

Before you send, select the file size you want.

Done!

Something I’ve only just discovered if you use an iPhone…when you select your image, in the bottom left of the screen you’ll see an options button. Click on that and you get to choose a size to attach it at, with it also highlighting the Kbs at each size! Nice touch Apple!

13 hours ago, Coinery said:

Something I’ve only just discovered if you use an iPhone…when you select your image, in the bottom left of the screen you’ll see an options button. Click on that and you get to choose a size to attach it at, with it also highlighting the Kbs at each size! Nice touch Apple!

Yes, that's always also been an option in Apple Mail, though there the options are confined to 'Small" 'Medium' 'Large' and 'Full size'.

• Like 1

I'm on android, but i'll see what i can find

interestingly there is also an 1862 farthing with similar 6 repunch

1078275569_1862farthingreverse(detail).jpg.110651dc3a0685777ea2690eb4474dc1.jpg

• Like 1

Wonder if it's to do with the manual entry of the last two digits. Until you have an impression it is very difficult to see if the alignment is correct. Once you have a mark you may well find it needs a little sideways or rotational adjustment.

• Like 1

I have examples of 1860 pennies with a 6/6 strike. As Rob says, manual entry of the last two date digits may well be a factor as well as repair of a clogged die. Gouby illustrates examples. Interesting, and worthy of note but not especially unusual to find same letter or digit overstrikes, unlike wrong letter or digit overstrikes which are true varieties.

Jerry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jelida said:

I have examples of 1860 pennies with a 6/6 strike. As Rob says, manual entry of the last two date digits may well be a factor as well as repair of a clogged die. Gouby illustrates examples. Interesting, and worthy of note but not especially unusual to find same letter or digit overstrikes, unlike wrong letter or digit overstrikes which are true varieties.

Jerry

Interestingly if you look at my farthing you can see that the 6 has been rotated resulting in 2 tails. However you will also note that the 1 needs the same treatment, and the 2 is - as so often with the final digit - badly positioned. You can understand the correction of the 6 as it was needed for more than one year, but by that token you would think the 1 should have been corrected as it was the millennium digit!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, SilverAge3 said:

Hi

I didn't bid on this ebay (USA, where I'm located) item strong enough to win, sadly, but i think i found a 6/6 in this 1862.  I sent the ebay link to Richard, of PennyVarieties, back in August, after the auction ended. 

He responded with "Well spotted. Looks like a repair to the 6 as none of the other numerals are doubled. Haven't seen this one before." 

It's now just past 90 days, so I don't believe I can pull up the original picture in my laptop to download thd seller's pictures vs the screenshot. Since I didn't win, I won't be able to offer much else, picture-wise (plus my filesize limit required cropping).  It was a fairly pitted specimen, albeit with many details remaining on both sides. I'll see if I can post more of the full obv and rev in comments, if that may be of interest.

Screenshot_20231117-105418_Edited.jpg

I think I have a couple of 6 over 6's in the 62's I will look through and let you know .  For certain one where the 6 presents itself to the left of the existing 6 but I will check 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1