Rob Posted July 25, 2018 Posted July 25, 2018 1794 guinea, EF or possibly a bit better. Looks nicer in hand without the flash. 2 Quote
Madness Posted July 25, 2018 Author Posted July 25, 2018 6 minutes ago, Rob said: 1794 guinea, EF or possibly a bit better. Looks nicer in hand without the flash. Beautiful. Thank you for posting. Quote
Madness Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 Feeling confident today. Have contacted the seller of the coin prior to opening a case against him in eBay. Thanks for your comments and encouragement @PWA 1967 and @DrLarry. Quote
Madness Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 Seller agreed to partial refund of $200 AUD (about 110 GBP). Stated that he already spent the money for medical bills and noted that he needed a couple of weeks to come up with the money. I have no idea whether he is telling the truth or not (I can be quite gullible) so agreed to put off opening case until 13 August. Hope that eBay will still let me make a claim within this time frame. Quote
Nick Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 5 hours ago, Madness said: Seller agreed to partial refund of $200 AUD (about 110 GBP). Stated that he already spent the money for medical bills and noted that he needed a couple of weeks to come up with the money. I have no idea whether he is telling the truth or not (I can be quite gullible) so agreed to put off opening case until 13 August. Hope that eBay will still let me make a claim within this time frame. Open the case straight away. Whether he has already spent the money is his problem, not yours. Quote
Michael-Roo Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 Yes, straight away. Still pricey at £310. That spade guinea is only worth scrap weight. Quote
Sword Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 Ditto. The longer you leave it, the less chance of getting your money back. Quote
Madness Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said: Yes, straight away. Still pricey at £310. That spade guinea is only worth scrap weight. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 Just now, Madness said: An expensive mistake to learn from. We will always give you advice on coins for sale, as you're doing with 1787 silver. 1 Quote
Madness Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 3 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said: An expensive mistake to learn from. We will always give you advice on coins for sale, as you're doing with 1787 silver. I love this place. A depth of experience from those who are generous with their advice. Helpful without being patronising. Thank you gents. 1 Quote
Sword Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 I think it is a bit of a shame that Peck had to start a new account just to avoid getting the "Forum Legend" title. Perhaps the administrators can allow someone to choose his own title after reaching 10,000 posts? I really appreciate reading Peck's posts over the years. Always well-informed and helpful. 2 Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 1 minute ago, Sword said: I think it is a bit of a shame that Peck had to start a new account just to avoid getting the "Forum Legend" title. Perhaps the administrators can allow someone to choose his own title after reaching 10,000 posts? I really appreciate reading Peck's posts over the years. Always well-informed and helpful. Thanks. To be fair to Chris he did look into this for me, and found that if the 'Legend' (or any other status) was changed for me it would change for everyone. I didn't want to be a 'Legend' when far more deserving members like VickySilver, Tom Goodheart, Dave Groom, 49 Threepence, Coinery etc aren't talkative mouthy people like me, and that's the only reason I'd be a Legend!! (It shouldn't be based on number of posts...) Quote
1949threepence Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said: Thanks. To be fair to Chris he did look into this for me, and found that if the 'Legend' (or any other status) was changed for me it would change for everyone. I didn't want to be a 'Legend' when far more deserving members like VickySilver, Tom Goodheart, Dave Groom, 49 Threepence, Coinery etc aren't talkative mouthy people like me, and that's the only reason I'd be a Legend!! (It shouldn't be based on number of posts...) Ah, so that's the reason. Well I'm not more deserving than you. Although I'm not a legend, more a leg end Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 36 minutes ago, 1949threepence said: Ah, so that's the reason. Well I'm not more deserving than you. Although I'm not a legend, more a leg end Better than a bell end. 3 Quote
Madness Posted July 31, 2018 Author Posted July 31, 2018 (edited) Beautiful coin: Seller has graded this as gEF and, based on all the coins I've seen so far, I'm inclined to agree with him. He's asking 300 GBP, which seems exorbitant given your comments. It's so beautiful though! What would be a reasonable price to offer? Would the die crack and clogged die (top of garter star) decrease its value? A few months worth of saving here methinks and I don't want to waste it as with the guinea. Thanks Edited July 31, 2018 by Madness Quote
jelida Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 It is a very pretty coin, and the die crack and fill have little impact, but I would be reluctant to pay over book price for a coin that can be found in this sort of condition without much difficulty. Spink gives this at £150 in EF, I would have thought a reasonable maximum offer should be around £200, with patience you will find the right coin at the right price. Some of us go to the coin fairs here in the UK, one of our members has a stall there, maybe he would accept a commission? Jerry Quote
Madness Posted July 31, 2018 Author Posted July 31, 2018 (edited) 18 minutes ago, jelida said: It is a very pretty coin, and the die crack and fill have little impact, but I would be reluctant to pay over book price for a coin that can be found in this sort of condition without much difficulty. Spink gives this at £150 in EF, I would have thought a reasonable maximum offer should be around £200, with patience you will find the right coin at the right price. Some of us go to the coin fairs here in the UK, one of our members has a stall there, maybe he would accept a commission? Jerry I would be very happy to pay up to 200 GBP for a gEF 1787 shilling. Won't be ready to buy for a couple of months though. It would be cool if a trusted member could keep an eye open for me at fairs and give my contact details to a seller of a suitable coin. I would pay that member a reasonable finder's fee as they would be doing me a great favour: My location restricts my search to the Internet. Please let me know. Edited July 31, 2018 by Madness Quote
jelida Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 26 minutes ago, Madness said: I would be very happy to pay up to 200 GBP for a gEF 1787 shilling. Won't be ready to buy for a couple of months though. It would be cool if a trusted member could keep an eye open for me at fairs and give my contact details to a seller of a suitable coin. I would pay that member a reasonable finder's fee as they would be doing me a great favour: My location restricts my search to the Internet. Please let me know. Will happily have a scout around at the fair in two weeks, and pass on details of any suitable vendors .Wouldn't want a fee. Jerry 1 Quote
Madness Posted July 31, 2018 Author Posted July 31, 2018 Thanks kindly, Jerry. Will send you a PM shortly. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 Agree with above comments - it's a nice example and a high grade but £300 is way too much IMO. As I've said several times before THESE AREN'T RARE! And are usually found in no worse than VF, often better. Quote
Peckris 2 Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 6 hours ago, jelida said: Spink gives this at £150 in EF And bear in mind that Spink prices are the toppermost of the poppermost - what you'd expect an insurance company to pay out, or a top dealer to charge for a very nice example. You'd only pay OVER Spink for the very rarest coins, that haven't appeared on the market for years. Having said that, this is better than EF and very pretty. Quote
Rob Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 It looks like the straight line going from the cheek, across the neck to the shoulder is a hairline. Where it crosses the falling hair curl are two light lines either side which would be indicative of raised metal thrown up when the cut was made. It's a nice coin for wear, but scratches don't help. Quote
jelida Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 There is one in the Davissons auction, and plenty of time to ponder. Some adjustment marks, but nice tone and the estimate is fair. https://davcoin.com/lot/e-auction-26-lot-89 Jerry 1 Quote
Madness Posted August 1, 2018 Author Posted August 1, 2018 (edited) 4 hours ago, jelida said: There is one in the Davissons auction, and plenty of time to ponder. Some adjustment marks, but nice tone and the estimate is fair. https://davcoin.com/lot/e-auction-26-lot-89 Jerry Thanks very much for the suggestion, Jerry. Do you agree with the gEF? It seems to have less definition in details on the reverse than some other 1787 Shillings that I've seen graded as gEF. Is this explained by a worn die? I'd like to buy one with as much "clarity" (by which I mean sharp edges and minimal "blobbiness") as I can afford. If there is correct terminology for the laughable expressions I use, please educate me! Edited August 1, 2018 by Madness Quote
Madness Posted August 1, 2018 Author Posted August 1, 2018 20 hours ago, Madness said: Beautiful coin: Seller has graded this as gEF and, based on all the coins I've seen so far, I'm inclined to agree with him. He's asking 300 GBP, which seems exorbitant given your comments. It's so beautiful though! What would be a reasonable price to offer? Would the die crack and clogged die (top of garter star) decrease its value? A few months worth of saving here methinks and I don't want to waste it as with the guinea. Thanks Is it possible that the "V" in "GEORGIVS" is an inverted "A"? Is this common? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.