Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

davidrj

Accomplished Collector
  • Posts

    1,740
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    17

Everything posted by davidrj

  1. As is the large incuse "R" to the left of the shield, I wonder what R stands for? David
  2. Interesting, the large character looks similar to script on some Ethiopian coins, I've no idea what it is though There's an overstruck "penny" here that most folk would chuck into their junk tin. But it's rare, only the second one I've seen for sale Spanish 10 centimos overstruck for use in Puerto Rico (though seller does not seem to know this) A gap in my collection that's likely to be permanent, certainly at that asking price! David
  3. I got the same two wrong, so just 5 for me
  4. Most of the world has a climate, we have weather
  5. yes!
  6. Yes! I had those as a kid, can you still get them? I'm a Holland's steak pudding fan, but you definitely need two of them, with mushy peas of course David
  7. If I had that cash to spare, I would. That's one of the best obverses I've seen for it. Nevermind that the 18KN is very much commoner than the 19KN, it's still a beaut. I'd give it houseroom!! Now you're making me wish I'd gone higher. I've missed out on several coins that I'd really hoped to acquire in the last week and have that frustrating serial underbidder feeling! You could always go for this one only £700
  8. The other statistic that's interesting is "Online At Once Record : 82 09 August 2010 06:31pm" Whenever I look to see who's on line there is usually just one or two of us. Was there a coin related story on the tea time news on that day? David
  9. I've met both Theresa Green & Annette Curtin David
  10. The description says "nice collectable coin" !!!!!
  11. Interesting coin, It certainly looks like a 1 over 1. The only 1874 double struck 4 I've seen is in a Heaton strike and very different from the London Coins one, lousy condition but interesting for the broken 7 David
  12. I remember it well, Chemistry Practical - all Friday afternoon, qualitative analysis - we had access to the works, and a bit of unofficial chemistry was commonplace; take a penny, give it a quick dip in conc nitric acid then drop it into 10% mercuric chloride. 1961 long before Health & Safety The dental amalgam was insoluble and of very little hazard to the patients. However both dentists and their nurses did suffer problems due to long term exposure of fumes from traces of spilt mercury An example of why Health & Safety was necessary What we often lack these days is intelligent interpretation of risk - so managers ban everything in case they are sued. David
  13. Agreed! But thought it worthy of record as the 1875H variety is in Gouby Thanks, it's one of those hard to find in higher grades, this coin has some residual lustre, pity about the dings, but then it only cost me €17 David
  14. Sorry duplicate posting Got an error message saying I had exceeded allowed number of postings, then it adds my post twice.... odd
  15. Ditto lot 2210 the 1863 open 3 in VG notice a few gaps, so I'm assuming not sold David
  16. definite doubling of the R of REG and colon dots and the end of the tie ribbon. This is almost identical to Gouby's BP1875Hf So is this a retouched die as Gouby states, or were Heaton having bouncing die problems? David
  17. An 1876 H wide date penny - Gouby BP1876H, Freeman 74 evidence of retouching to obverse legend - see below:-
  18. No English shilling? David
  19. CGB have now put their current catalogue values (for 6 grades) of French coins on line here Nice development, Spink et al take note, serious collectors will still buy the printed catalogue for the wealth of background info I happen to think that Le Franc is probably the best single country catalogue on the market and excellent value at €28 David
  20. Interesting! First time I've seen a picture of that variety - thanks David
  21. Yes superbly produced coins, slightly smaller than a penny - 30mm 10.0g None of the production woes of cracked dies and re-entries that plagued the early British bronze - Heaton & Sons were a major influence with the French, managing the Marseilles mint and later re-equipping Paris. But then if the Royal Mint had awarded the 1860 contracts to Heaton rather Watt, maybe we wouldn't now have had all those interesting Freeman/Satin varieties David
  22. Snap! mine is a very similar journey, but I've broadened to other penny sized bronze, French 10 centimes 1852-1921 is is my current project with some very low mintages plus unrecorded varieties. David
  23. OOPS! sticky fingers retiring red-faced to corner wearing a conical cap David
×
×
  • Create New...