British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

CGS submission form query

It's an interesting question. Why would it cost more to grade a higher value coin? Why does it cost more to sell a higher value house through an estate agent? Why would it take less time to attribute, grade and slab a hammered coin?

I have sent a number of coins to CGS, for various reasons. They have never charged me more if I have stated a coin as costing less than £200 and they have valued it at considerably more, but the value should the coin be lost in the post is an interesting, although hopefully moot, point.

Edited by Paulus

It's an interesting question. Why would it cost more to grade a higher value coin? Why does it cost more to sell a higher value house through an estate agent? Why would it take less time to attribute, grade and slab a hammered coin?

I have sent a number of coins to CGS, for various reasons. They have never charged me more if I have stated a coin as costing less than £200 and they have valued it at considerably more, but the value should the coin be lost in the post is an interesting, although hopefully moot, point.

Stewie recently asked/phoned CGS about postage for Someone in Hong Kong? And got back £12 which he was surprised about due to value? Maybe he can remind us because then that means value plays no part. Here's the thread Stewie started a week or so ago

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/9722-cgs-l1375-for-coins-under-l200/

Edited by azda

Yep, £15 for up to 5 coins to HK! I queried value, and she breezed over me with '£15's the charge'

And then I'm sure I heard her say under her breath 'now FO, will you, I'm trying to get some sleep here!' :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yep, £15 for up to 5 coins to HK! I queried value, and she breezed over me with '£15's the charge'

And then I'm sure I heard her say under her breath 'now FO, will you, I'm trying to get some sleep here!' :rolleyes:

Made me laugh that QUALITY

I would go with PWA send the coins to them and let them invoice.

Lovely coin Azda

Sent yesterday, so should be due back around Christmas 2016 ;)

• Like 1

Sent yesterday, so should be due back around Christmas 2016 ;)

Ah, so you paid extra for their Express Delivery service then....

So sent my coin in with option 1 ticked with a value 3 times greater than i paid for the coin which still was'nt near £200.

Got my invoice today and they're wanting £23.99, so i've emailed and asked why they're charging an extra tenner

So sent my coin in with option 1 ticked with a value 3 times greater than i paid for the coin which still was'nt near £200.

Got my invoice today and they're wanting £23.99, so i've emailed and asked why they're charging an extra tenner

All good news I'd say, except you're an extra tenner out of pocket for the privilege! :)

Ok, it can be good news, but then why ask inthe submission for a value when its obviously them dioing the valuing

Just thinking to myself, has anyone ever cracked open a slabbed coin and sent it back to see if there's any discrepancy between the first grade and the second?

Just thinking to myself, has anyone ever cracked open a slabbed coin and sent it back to see if there's any discrepancy between the first grade and the second?

It has been done in the US as I understand when something was graded anywhere between 67 and 69 after 5(?) attempts

As i normally don't Do slabs i can't answer that but someone on here once said they bought a coin at auction from Londoncoins at whatever grade they graded it at, sent it to CGS for slabbing and it came back lower than the auction grade

Yeah, funny that LC grade more conservatively when they're not selling the coin..

Would be interesting to see on a batch of different types and dates

• Like 1

Greed will always be a factor.

I've only got 6 slabbed coins and 4 of them were purchased from Colincooke.(None are CGS)

I saw a quote recently in which, when a collector was asked what grade he perceived a coin to be he said, "Am I buying or selling?".

Hits the nail on the head really

• Like 1

I saw a quote recently in which, when a collector was asked what grade he perceived a coin to be he said, "Am I buying or selling?".

Mmmm ... I was looking on eBay and saw this:

$_57.JPG

.. fairly worn example I reckoned and no better than a good Fine to my eyes.

However NGC have decided it merits AU53 ... something I doubt they would have done if it wasn't from the Eric Newman collection. Subjectivity is clearly a worldwide phenomenon.

:angry:

Mmmm ... I was looking on eBay and saw this:

$_57.JPG

.. fairly worn example I reckoned and no better than a good Fine to my eyes.

However NGC have decided it merits AU53 ... something I doubt they would have done if it wasn't from the Eric Newman collection. Subjectivity is clearly a worldwide phenomenon.

:angry:

Totally agree with you re grade, TG, though it does have some other pleasing qualities which, in my eyes, should only enhance its value NOT its grade.

I seriously need to send some of my hammered to NGC if thats the grades they're handing out

I seriously need to send some of my hammered to NGC if thats the grades they're handing out

They don't grade very many hammered realistically. So much is given AU or MS that the populations would suggest they were hot off the press from China instead of at least 400 years old.

It is probably worth slabbing some horrible looking pieces in the hope of getting a few decent numbers as this would add value when sold into the US market.

They'd run out of numbers, Dave! :D

They'd run out of numbers, Dave! :D
I think it would be interesting to see what the Liz groat would grade as if the above is an AU53. Looking through their website population report i can't find any hammered in there. Edited by azda