British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Let's See Your Toned English Milled Silver!

A coin out of its holder doesn't lose its provenance...

Hmmmmmm, as long as you have its certificate, but, China does well in that catagory

I have 2 versions on line already - one from the auction catalogue and one that will remain with NGC... sshhh!

I have 2 versions on line already - one from the auction catalogue and one that will remain with NGC... sshhh!

I'll of course shhhhh, but it won't shhhhh China. Viel Spaß with that xxx

Been away boys with unfortunate events sadly. But this thread has really cheered me up, what fantastic coins from all members and the banter top of the bill, by the way az my mother was German so I speak and understand ein kleines bisschen:)

Can't say I've seen any counter stamped civil siege pieces either. As far as I can see they are counter stamped bits of silver produced from silver not originally intended for coinage.

Been away boys with unfortunate events sadly. But this thread has really cheered me up, what fantastic coins from all members and the banter top of the bill, by the way az my mother was German so I speak and understand ein kleines bisschen:)

Lol, ich verstehe auch nur ein kleines bisschen, weil ich aus Schottland bin ;)

1DBE1946-1177-4B67-B550-B030453D2783-262

Ok if someone is enjoying- here's one more- very early milled - the little lady..

• Like 2

Tissue please :)

Edited by azda

Very Nice.

Jaggy,

I take it your not into eye appeal. LOL. Nice coin.

Mark

Thanks

Unfortunately, my photography isn't as good as it should be. I have other coins that look much better in real life than they do in my photos.

Lol, ich verstehe auch nur ein kleines bisschen, weil ich aus Schottland bin ;)

Und ich verstehe auch ein Bisschen, da ich halber Deutscher und halber Grieche bin LOL :-)

1DBE1946-1177-4B67-B550-B030453D2783-262

Ok if someone is enjoying- here's one more- very early milled - the little lady..

Just gorgeous Nicholas, can you tell us more about it?

Yes I can.

Peck 5. North 2050.Likely to be pattern for a silver groat, no one knows for sure. (or maybe penny, medalet..) Also struck in copper and gold. Afflictorum conservatrix - "To heal the afflicted"? interestingly one theory is that this was used as a cure for the sick or wounded soldiers and sailors by touching the coin.. Monogram of Elizabeth. 1601. 25mm, 4grams

This coin is struck, but there are also cast versions that are more common.

This coin from Dr. E C Carter collection 1950.

Any further info welcome!

Edited by Nicholas

One more. A P834.

img007.jpg

Is that the coin on the home page of your web site Rob?

Yes. Super coin. It was Nicholson 207. It seems to have spent most of its time living with the wrong attribution. Wrongly described as a thin flan in the Seaby Bulletin in 1982 and 1983, it was bought by Nicholson who recognised it for what it is (thick flan). It was bought by Stone in Nicholson's sale, then went through London Coins in the following November when he sold up. It came on the market again in Dec. 2005 where it was once again described as a thin flan, an attribution that helped my cause immensely as it sold for nearly £1K less than it went for in Nicholson. :) Doubles all round.

Edited by Rob

With your depth of knowledge you deserve that sort of luck :)

• Like 1

azda the point was the coin was graded on the basis of the original Mexican coin not its counter stamp as it should have been. However my observation is dragging the subject of this thread away from its original intent something that happens a lot in these forums. The UK and Sheldon scales are probably better discussed as a separate thread.

NGC grades counter-stamped coins based on the counter-stamp, not the host coin.

I know I've posted it before (sorry), but this little Maundy 4D is one of my favorite silver British pieces.

1868_Great_Britain_4D_Maundy_PCGS_MS65_o

1868_Great_Britain_4D_Maundy_PCGS_MS65_r

• Like 1

azda the point was the coin was graded on the basis of the original Mexican coin not its counter stamp as it should have been. However my observation is dragging the subject of this thread away from its original intent something that happens a lot in these forums. The UK and Sheldon scales are probably better discussed as a separate thread.

Bizarre though don't you think, as both are relevant to a collector and as to value?

I know I've posted it before (sorry), but this little Maundy 4D is one of my favorite silver British pieces.

1868_Great_Britain_4D_Maundy_PCGS_MS65_o

1868_Great_Britain_4D_Maundy_PCGS_MS65_r

Post away, this is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread! :)

Bizarre though don't you think, as both are relevant to a collector and as to value?
And i feel somewhat smug :) Although as i said earlier, UK auction houses grade both Edited by azda

And i feel somewhat smug :) Although as i said earlier, UK auction houses grade both

My goodness you fellas are up late on that side of the pond!?!

Quite normal. When I turn in sometime between 2 and 3, Scott takes over for the night shift.

Quite normal. When I turn in sometime between 2 and 3, Scott takes over for the night shift.

And i work constant late shift :)