British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Attached are reference pictures of 'P'ENNY and High Sea Level on an F148 I recently sold on ebay

Yes i only look at the P as the easiest indicator to spot.

Just taken a £10 punt on this 1863 - wishful thinking, I know. But the 3 looks odd, not normal but not the same as the open 3 I have. - probably a bog standard one when it arrives

:)

David

I bought one just like that one David, and it turned out to be a regular 3. The picture did not show the "top" of the bottom loop of the three. It looked a lot different in hand! :)

Does anyone have a copy of the V.R Court penny survey?

Was it also only in the August 1972 issue of Coin Monthly, or can it be found elsewhere?

Thanks

There's a link to it in a thread on this forum somewhere - I only downloaded it a few months ago myself.

Thanks Mr. T.

I'll share with all if/when I find it.

• Like 1

Just got one back from CGS.

Decided to send it as appeared problem free.

F9 Mule came back as 40 VF

UIN is 37345

Pete.

Here you are Pete.

That's a nice coin! and a nice grade too :P

post-8244-0-12621400-1449666794_thumb.jp

That is nice, Pete, well done!

Jerry

Here is my punt for the week. Open 3? Opinions please!

Bad pictures, but that seems to be the only way to nab an example these days!

post-8244-0-30859500-1449668932_thumb.jp

Here is my punt for the week. Open 3? Opinions please!

Bad pictures, but that seems to be the only way to nab an example these days!

It does not look like a Open 3

But it looks very interesting. The Open 3 has a curved lower serif but this coin has a horizontal serif. Looks like a new variety to me.

However the important thing is the lower portion of the 3 does not curve upwards at all. So I should say not the traditional open 3 but the 3 is definitely open. better pics would help.

Thanks Jac, the pics are definitely a hindrance.

What made me buy it, is that on the normal 3, it sits higher than the rest of the numbers in the date whereas in an open 3 it seems to be in line. And because this one looks in-line, I went for it.

1 = Normal 3

2 = Open 3

3 = My purchase (had to tilt the line because the coin is slightly tilted, but the line is parallel to the exergue)

post-8244-0-12911300-1449670546_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-72301100-1449670549_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-65506200-1449670552_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 1

As you can see your coin does not have a upward curve for the lower portion of the 3

As you can see your coin does not have a upward curve for the lower portion of the 3

Yes this is the part that is confusing. My current theory is between a filled die and/or lots of wear.

However one thing is for certain. The top part of the 3 does not conform to an Open 3 variety.

Attached are reference pictures of 'P'ENNY and High Sea Level on an F148 I recently sold on ebay

If it's not impertinent, may ask why your 1863 die No 4 was withdrawn from sale on e bay?

Just taken a £10 punt on this 1863 - wishful thinking, I know. But the 3 looks odd, not normal but not the same as the open 3 I have. - probably a bog standard one when it arrives

:)

David

Good luck. I was watching this coin but it did not look like a open 3 to me. I might be wrong for you know what ebay pics are like.

Sadly a perfectly formed standard 3, :angry:

Booo-urns David. Currently waiting on mine now..

Oh dear.

An existing customer of mine bought it

OK, thanks. Was just wondering :)

From some of the feedback i am getting about the next LCA i have just asked the wife to book a hotel and will be going.

Some nice pennies from an obviously good collection :)