British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

A few years back I bought the 1860 Copper penny (60/59) from a dealer.

When it arived inside the jiffy bag it was tightly wrapped in bubble wrap and cellotape....after a while I lost patience with it trying to get it out and used a large pair of scissors to force through the bubble wrap and cellotape......well it went through alright and through the platic envelope and made a large scratch on the obverse of the coin...thus taking a huge junk off the value......I sold it recently and many other rare and high grade pennies that I'd fallen out of love with ....for the second time in 30 years..I may start again...!

If you have any more for sale...? :)

I have got about half a dozen left...not spectacular...but from memory it does include an 1860 Mule, a couple of Patterns, 1869, 75-H in EF, a few Unc Young Heads and the finest blazing BU 02 LT that I have ever seen in 30 years..(I bought the halfpenny on Saturday at the London fair to go with it) ..I will either let them form the basis of yet another Penny collection or I'll sell the lot...mind you I got depressed when I saw the Peter Simon (Alderney) collection and thought that I would never be able to compete with that.

Selling coins on Ebay is a nightmare at the moment..everyone wants something for virtually nothing...and it appears that everyone is an expert grader, except me...as opposed to auction proper where you get the right price without any fuss.

It used to be that Auction was more way more expensive than selling with eBay...not any more...there's hardly anything in it after you've taken out the combined Ebay and Paypal fees....the down side is that you may have to wait longer for your money.

I have got about half a dozen left...not spectacular...but from memory it does include an 1860 Mule, a couple of Patterns, 1869, 75-H in EF, a few Unc Young Heads and the finest blazing BU 02 LT that I have ever seen in 30 years..(I bought the halfpenny on Saturday at the London fair to go with it) ..I will either let them form the basis of yet another Penny collection or I'll sell the lot...mind you I got depressed when I saw the Peter Simon (Alderney) collection and thought that I would never be able to compete with that.

Selling coins on Ebay is a nightmare at the moment..everyone wants something for virtually nothing...and it appears that everyone is an expert grader, except me...as opposed to auction proper where you get the right price without any fuss.

It used to be that Auction was more way more expensive than selling with eBay...not any more...there's hardly anything in it after you've taken out the combined Ebay and Paypal fees....the down side is that you may have to wait longer for your money.

I haven't sold at Auction yet (but am planning to), I understood that a big difference between the traditional Auctions and eBay was the Buyers' Premium that most (all?) Auction Houses charge, whereas eBay charge zero to buyers. Can people confirm that that is still the norm, to my mind it means that to 'break even' on a coin you are selling at auction the buyer must be willing to pay around 40% more than you did?? Or have I got it massively wrong (Croydon Auctions and eBay aside)?

Edited by Paulus

Colin, funny but sad story. I have a similar one, and not to pirate this thread but will note that I had a matte proof 1951 crown in a slab and HIT IT WITH A HAMMER to break it out. Well, the first blow didn't do it so I hit it again and HIT the rim of the crown and DENTED it (fortunately not badly)....

Colin, funny but sad story. I have a similar one, and not to pirate this thread but will note that I had a matte proof 1951 crown in a slab and HIT IT WITH A HAMMER to break it out. Well, the first blow didn't do it so I hit it again and HIT the rim of the crown and DENTED it (fortunately not badly)....

Cracking... :D

I haven't sold at Auction yet (but am planning to), I understood that a big difference between the traditional Auctions and eBay was the Buyers' Premium that most (all?) Auction Houses charge, whereas eBay charge zero to buyers. Can people confirm that that is still the norm, to my mind it means that to 'break even' on a coin you are selling at auction the buyer must be willing to pay around 40% more than you did?? Or have I got it massively wrong (Croydon Auctions and eBay aside)?

Some auctions don't charge sellers for coins over 1k,and most will agree a percent once you have sent your coins to them.The more you sell the smaller the commission,far better than Ebay.

Buyers will have to 17.5 to 22.5% in some cases,tax on the profit on silver,and also import duties if the auction house has had coins shipped from abroad for that auction.postage and insurance also has to be covered.Much better way to sell coins,if you don't mind a 2/3 month wait.

The way to release coins from their plastic coffins I have found is: Put the slab on it's side inside a plastic bag then a sharp whack with a large head hammer.....does the job. You must put it inside a bag as the shards are lethal when it breaks.

EBay will charge you listing fees and final value fees. Paypal will also then charge you fees. You can then wait for several days if you xfer money from Paypal to a designated bank account. I estimate that it's possible to lose up to 14% of the final price.

Most coin auction houses wont charge sellers for individual coins with a value of £1000 or above and I have found that you can negotiate their fees with coins of a value less that £1000 (depending on what it is you're selling).

General with auctions you lose 15% + VAT on that 15% which amounts to around 17.5%.....which is only marginally more that eBay/paypal and a lot less hassle I have found.

One of my most recent and laughable experiences with selling on eBay is that the winning bidder, clearly having led a sheltered and pure life, pulled out of the sale of an extremely rare coin because he "found out" that I was making a profit ???!!

Yup, what a scoundrel I am....I bought it well at auction 4 years prior...the price of these coins had soared in the interim and he was buying it well under catalogue and would be unlikely to find another at that price...well, that went straight into auction

God only knows what he will do when he finds out the profits that Tesco makes on tins of baked beans or M & S makes on their clothes....I suspect will he will have to lay down in a dark corner somewhere.

Try a small hack saw across one corner of the capsule, then use a screwdriver to twist the plastic apart, moving it along the perimeter. Safer than whacking it with hammers...

The way to release coins from their plastic coffins I have found is: Put the slab on it's side inside a plastic bag then a sharp whack with a large head hammer.....does the job. You must put it inside a bag as the shards are lethal when it breaks.

I find that a large industrial bandsaw that we have at work glides through a slab like butter :)

I like wacking things with 'ammers...

Hacksaws and screwdrivers ?...I'll lose a finger somewhere along the line !

Well here is one I have used more recently than I care to tell: two pliers, one on either side and twist it.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!!!!!

What happens is at some point the torsional rigidity is overcome and the slab comes apart in shards which fly all over the place - it is satisfying too!

Naughty...

torsional .....love that word too.

Do it again but put it in a plastic bag first to avoid the killer shards....

Love that word 'modulus' dont you?

The 1860 Farthing is a gold Lauer Pattern....ex Plymouth Auction Rooms of "English Pattern Gold Coins" 18/4/2008....ex Murdoch Lot 538 ....Standard Catlalogue of World Gold Coins by Krause & Micheler Number PPN 49.

Next time I get them out .....oooer missus....I'll attach a photo...its a beauty.

I wondered where that one went. Were you at the sale?

Yup I was....I flew London to Plymouth via Newquay on some knackered old aeroplane with an overhead wing and propellers...and I had to turn right as there were only economy seats ...shock, horror ...horrible rainy day too I recall.

I remember the day not least because I remember getting into a taxi at the airport and giving the Eastern European driver the address...he clearly had absolutley no idea where the Auction House was (nor did I) and dropped me off in the rain nowhere near and pointed to a building and said "there"...

I then finished up walking into a nearby office and asked them if they knew where it was and one of the women on reception did...I was nowhere near and it was pouring...had to order another taxi...anyway I did buy some good stuff on the day.

Got a catalog through the door from Colin Cooke today, they are selling a very high grade 1905 HC for, wait for it, £5,500!!!! :o I know that's what the price guides would indicate, but wow, guess I had never seen one for sale before!

Just seen it in my catalogue. Absolutely stunning.

Unfortunately, Neil doesn't put the new stock on his website for a few days, so we'll have to wait a few days to see a really good pic of it.

edit: that's if it's not already sold by then !!!

The coin in question is now on their web site, and described as

'Choice EF+/GEF pleasing and problem free.'

1905_HC_CC_zpsc82bddc9.png

Yup I was....I flew London to Plymouth via Newquay on some knackered old aeroplane with an overhead wing and propellers...and I had to turn right as there were only economy seats ...shock, horror ...horrible rainy day too I recall.

I remember the day not least because I remember getting into a taxi at the airport and giving the Eastern European driver the address...he clearly had absolutley no idea where the Auction House was (nor did I) and dropped me off in the rain nowhere near and pointed to a building and said "there"...

I then finished up walking into a nearby office and asked them if they knew where it was and one of the women on reception did...I was nowhere near and it was pouring...had to order another taxi...anyway I did buy some good stuff on the day.

Just trying to place where you were sat, as most of the people in the room were dealers. Yes, it was interesting trying to find the venue. Luckily my son was at Plymouth at the time, so at least we had a rough idea. :) I was sat one row in front of Ras on the left facing the rostrum. Good day though with a couple of halfpennies and a penny.

Got a catalog through the door from Colin Cooke today, they are selling a very high grade 1905 HC for, wait for it, £5,500!!!! :o I know that's what the price guides would indicate, but wow, guess I had never seen one for sale before!

Unfortunately, Neil doesn't put the new stock on his website for a few days, so we'll have to wait a few days to see a really good pic of it.

Doesn't look quite as nice as it did in the catalogue. Don't think I'll be handing over £5.5k for that one.

My likely unpopular view is the coin in question is more likely an EF obverse, GEF reverse with some signs, IMO, Also think its been cleaned a bit...

Still nice. My value, if anyone cares is probably closer to 4k mark.

I sat near Patrick Deane for a while (who I hadnt seen for years...I seem to remember he told me he'd lost a fortune on some investment in a water park in France or Spain??)..or had the cheap wine kicked in by then?

I think he was with Ras...so we must have been close at some point.

Anyway, that farthing is going into auction soon with a load of other stuff...I'm selling up..I cant live in this country any more...I never thought I would ever say that but that's it for me.

I sat near Patrick Deane for a while (who I hadnt seen for years...I seem to remember he told me he'd lost a fortune on some investment in a water park in France or Spain??)..or had the cheap wine kicked in by then?

I think he was with Ras...so we must have been close at some point.

Anyway, that farthing is going into auction soon with a load of other stuff...I'm selling up..I cant live in this country any more...I never thought I would ever say that but that's it for me.

If you decide to sell any of those pennies be sure to let me know :)

Personally, I'm a 100% with VickySilver on this one...based on what I'm looking at, there is enough wear on his hair to warrant a generous EF at best and similarly many of the higher points on the reverse do not warrant GEF and again IMO only a generous EF at best.....it does look like it's been cleaned but that could just be the picture.

A nice coin nevertheless, but not a tad strong at £5.5k.

Colin, you got us all behaving like sharks with blood in the water.

OK, I am guilty too. Will you be selling through one of the major

auction houses.

Guess I might bump heads a bit with Accumulator as I do love

pennies and not just the silver - but get just a tad loonier over

silver Vicky bits....

A coin I recently got perhaps as rare as unc '05 2/6 is the

MS66 1889 sm Hd shilling. NIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEE!

1905_HC_CC_zpsc82bddc9.png

Hmm. That obverse is barely EF (I'd even say 'not quite'). Not like CC to overgrade :D