British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Okay forgive me for asking a beginner question but how can you tell it is pewter ?

...from the color ?

...casting bubbles (I can't seem to zoom in on the photo's for some reason) ?

... looks markedly different when compared to photo's of a genuine coin ?

...some other way ?

cheers for any information !

Okay forgive me for asking a beginner question but how can you tell it is pewter ?

...from the color ?

...casting bubbles (I can't seem to zoom in on the photo's for some reason) ?

... looks markedly different when compared to photo's of a genuine coin ?

...some other way ?

cheers for any information !

The pewter call is only based on speculation. To be honest it isn't pewter-like in the images, but is likely to be (or some combination of), given it's non-mint and, 'possibly' contemporary, origins - there'd be little point in producing a currency fake in silver!

The devices/punches that make up this coin are clearly non-mint, suggesting an amateur attempt at forgery, whether contemporary or recent times (though it looks older to me in the images)!

Making punches/letters fine enough to fit around the entire coin would require some skill, hence the amusement that the seller has suggested it's an especially rare coin, on account of the 'reduced' letters in the legend!

All good fun! :)

Ah okay thanks very much for that ! I understand now.

Yes all good fun and extremely interesting !

Thanks again !

As Baldrick would say it is more Pewter like and not a turnip.

What is small pink and hangs out yer PJ's...Mum?

Or maybe that it looks like a thingy.

Didn't baldrick "do" sailors for sixpence , i wonder what a groat would have got you?

Or maybe that it looks like a thingy.

Didn't baldrick "do" sailors for sixpence , i wonder what a groat would have got you?

Baldrick leaving you alone :lol:

Mint Victoria Penny! The description's great! :D

Link

Absolutely stunning, I have just got back from A & E as I stumbled and twisted my ankle while gazing at it's beauty on my iPhone.

Link

Absolutely stunning, I have just got back from A & E as I stumbled and twisted my ankle while gazing at it's beauty on my iPhone.

Stunning is right. The doctor diagnosed severe concussion, so I have to take it easy for quite a while now.

Link

Stunning is right. The doctor diagnosed severe concussion, so I have to take it easy for quite a while now.

One side is almost mint, while the other is dirty and worn. Nothing that a bit of wire wool and some elbow grease won't cure. Beautiful coin otherwise. One that would sit proudly in any collection.

collection of what ?

I'm stunned too ! ha ha

Edited by Garrett

Half a sixpence, is better than 'arf a penny...

It needs a bit of a clean, apparently, and don't bother making a BIN offer, thank-you!

You may consider offering a BIN however! :)

You may consider offering a BIN however! :)

:lol:

Link

That has to be the worst condition fake I've ever seen!

That has to be the worst condition fake I've ever seen!

It's real! Just not quite as described...

Well, Saxby's have a whole selection of Richard III pennies on eBay that are all Edward III, Henry VI and Edward IV... e.g. This Edward III.

Otherwise, a Lizzie fake for Stuart.

This isn't funny for the eventual purchaser. Do eBay ever do anything about wrongly described items? I know and believe in caveat emptor and all that, but with the price of Richard III coins whatever the denomination, all these buyers are going to get seriously burnt. Now Saxby's can't be a complete ignoramus with a feedback of 18000 odd, so one must assume that the misattribution is deliberate. He's either right up there in the hall of shame - or a complete ****.

This isn't funny for the eventual purchaser. Do eBay ever do anything about wrongly described items? I know and believe in caveat emptor and all that, but with the price of Richard III coins whatever the denomination, all these buyers are going to get seriously burnt. Now Saxby's can't be a complete ignoramus with a feedback of 18000 odd, so one must assume that the misattribution is deliberate. He's either right up there in the hall of shame - or a complete ****.

eBay do occasionally do something about misdescribed items when, in this case,it appears to be blatant fraud/deception.

As for your quote, my money's on the latter.

hard to Identify some of those, i couldn't tell a Richard III from others from the war of the roses period unless i had clear markings.

but some of those are clearly not.

but some of those are clearly not.

Well, none are, unfortunately.

You pay your money and take your choice.

If you don't read around your subject expect to be burnt.

You pay your money and take your choice.

If you don't read around your subject expect to be burnt.

True, but Saxby's has turned up time and time again for p*ss takes!

Otherwise, a Lizzie fake for Stuart.

Cheers, Clive, saw this one, but a bit too modern 'pewtery' to even compare it to a known die!

I've been really unlucky with fakes/counterfeits recently! The last few I've bought, hoping them to be cont. c'feits, have been genuine! Would you believe it? :(

Edit: most recent example... 251393090378

I did get that home-made punch Mary coin though! :)

Edited by Coinery